Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • On one frame warranty claim
  • mrchrist

Evening folks – cracked a Titus I had off them in 2017.

Anyone done a claim with them? How long did it take? Was it no quibbles?

plus-one

7 years later ? I’d say no chance !!

mrchrist

It’s a Ti frame with a lifetime warranty so probably a good chance.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I admire your hutzpah, fella. Go in hard and don’t take no for an answer.

let us know how you get on

mrchrist

Haha. Well this isn’t turning into the reassuring thread I hoped it would be.

a11y

I’d be surprised if a ti frame from that era has lifetime warranty. My Titus Mutsu from November 2019 cracked. No warranty applicable as it wasn’t lifetime warranty that was offered when I bought it new. Lifetime warranty was offered on later ti frames though…

That frame now hangs on my wall and I’m riding a Cotic Cascade instead.

mrchrist

Ah ok. Thanks.

I was assuming it had one as the new one do.

I shall await thier response.

Andy

My 2008 Lynskey (no surprise) Ti29er (lifetime warrenty) cracked twice in 2012 and 2019. Both times Planet -X accepted the warranty and took it back and sent it out to Tennessee to be repaired.

40mpg

A friend of mine tried a warranty claim on a litespeed with lifetime warranty. Went on for ever, their claim was ‘lifetime’ meant a reasonable lifetime for a bike, ie about 5 years iirc. Not the lifetime of a person. (He lost).

And that was Litespeed. Good luck with On-One!

garage-dweller

Bear in mind that the current PX is not the same company that sold you your bike.

There was an administration and the business and assets were sold along with the trading name.

mrchrist

Is this repairable?

PXL_20240207_201553515

weeksy

If you wash it, we can see better 😜

plus-one

Bin job I reckon 🙁

mrchrist

Ah yes @garage-dweller forgot about that.

hardtailonly

And I think the days of chanting @brant x3, and him offering to pay for a replacement frame out of his own (moleskin trouser) pocket, is long-gone!

coconut
    Free Member

Bin job.

mrchrist

Noooooooooo!!!!

mashr

Kinda impressive to crack it in 2 places so close to each other

racereadysuspension
    Free Member

If the warranty claim is not successful then get in touch with identicalbutlighter on instagram. He’ll likely be able to repair it for you. He does some incredible stuff!

mrchrist

Thank you.

I have, cracked a few frames, over the years.

stanley

Looks like you’ve had your money’s worth out of that one.

hopefiendboy

That’ll buff out!🫂

convert

It’s a Ti frame with a lifetime warranty so probably a good chance.

Still feeling so confident? 😉

That bike looks like it’s had a tough paper round. On the upside that means it’s served you well if you don’t get anywhere. On the downside, it’s not going to help with your claim! What happened an inch or so up the chain stay beyond the (cracked) drop out? Some impressive gouge! Warranties are to cover for defective manufacture, not because the bike cracks on your watch whilst being tortured!

My road bike is a cracked ti Kinesis I bought off ebay for £150 and spent the same again getting Enigma to weld a new top tube into. But it was otherwise mint. If it means spending your own money that’ll be a tough call.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Looking at the photos you’ve got absolutely no chance……cracked a few frames you say ,not surprised if they all look like that.looks like it’s been run over .several times

Northwind

40mpg

A friend of mine tried a warranty claim on a litespeed with lifetime warranty. Went on for ever, their claim was ‘lifetime’ meant a reasonable lifetime for a bike, ie about 5 years iirc. Not the lifetime of a person.

Litespeed’s approach seemed to be that the lifetime warranty lasts the lifetime of the bike, and if it’s broken then clearly it is now dead and therefore has exceeded its lifetime warranty. It was a pretty odd phase, between that, and Lynskey “basically all of our bikes crack, but we will fix it”

airvent
    Free Member

That titanium looks more like a bunch of 20 year old scaffy bars. In fact, every bit of bike in that picture looks abused.

mrchrist

Yep it’s had a tough paper round.

Loving these comments.

BadlyWiredDog

Is this repairable?

My guess is that it will be, but a proper repair would be a new chain-stay/seat-stay/dropout welded in place, so a bunch of new tubing and a lot of work. When the downtube cracked on my Ragley Ti. Lynskey basically fitted a new downtube and headtube. So technically I’m pretty sure it’s repairable, but I doubt you could do it properly just by welding up the existing crack. So yes, I’m pretty sure it could be fixed, but I’m not sure it would be viable.

It does look well used, but grubby stuff often seems worse in pics and titanium cleans up pretty well.

alanl
    Free Member

Looks like you’ve had your money’s worth out of that one.

I was going to say the same, has it been dragged on the road behind your car for 20 miles!

It looks like it’s going to wear through the tubes, never mind the cracks.

intheborders
    Free Member

Me, I’d have asked them first before going public…

But that’s me.

BruceWee

Surprised everyone saying it looks like it’s been abused.

My mountain bikes all look like that after about two weeks.

TheGingerOne

It doesn’t look like a manufacturing defect to me which is what a warranty covers. That looks more like an abusive relationship which is not covered, unsurprisingly!

faustus

I recently got a second hand Titus Ti frame (a newer one though), so this is all very confidence inspiring! Fair play, you used it and it doesn’t owe you anything by the looks of it.

I think you can ask just for fun, but expect a ‘no’. If you love it then you could get new seat and chain stays and dropout, and you’ll have an intriguing frame that’ll look like its going through a Terminator style regeneration, like it’s just stepped out of a burning car crash and is moulding itself back together…

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

They warrantied my Titus frame last year with absolutely no hassle. It was less than a year old, right enough.
    It cracked at the NDS seatstay\dropout weld. I still have it, I may look into getting it repaired.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t really see the relevance of marks etc on the frame – did they contribute to the cracking?

The lack of bracing would seem relevant.  Hopefully they’ll be decent, unlike Shitespeed, welcome to capitalism!

jameso

their claim was ‘lifetime’ meant a reasonable lifetime for a bike, ie about 5 years iirc. Not the lifetime of a person.

That’s generally what lifetime warranty means, failures caused by defective materials or assembly over the reasonable lifespan of the bike. Everything fails one day, somehow. The problem is defining a reasonable lifespan when we don’t all ride with dataloggers. imho ‘lifetime warranty’ is a marketing line unless it’s backed up with some clarity on what it means. If not I’d rather see a number of years stated and know the company had a rep for consistency within that period, at least it’s clear.

Interesting to see cracks in that area on a frame w/o that support. Frames with a seat stay mounted disc often have a brace between the seat stay and the chainstay to support the force from the brake.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I guess that’s why some frames have a brace between the stays on the disc brake side?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Surprised everyone saying it looks like it’s been abused.

My mountain bikes all look like that after about two weeks.

+1

Your mistake is assuming half the people here actually ride bikes.

jeffl

It’s interesting that the crack on the seatstay is just above the caliper mount. Would seem to imply poor design rather than a manufacturing defect.

Be interesting to know the outcome. I had a London Road frame that cracked on the weld between top tube and seatpost. Almighty cracking sound one day, thought it was a wheel. Only a few weeks later did I find the culprit. Yes the seatpost was sufficiently inserted.

Anyhow planet-x declined to warranty it for me which was frustrating as I liked the colour and the bike road really nicely. Ended up buying a cheap pinnacle arkose framest and transferring the parts across.

mrchrist

UPDATE – have had a response.

Didn’t have a lifetime warranty but the have offered 35% off a replacement and thrown in a headset.

What’s app seemed to get the quickest response.

Good result overall.

@intheborders
    – I asked what the warranty process was like not if this should be warrantied. As you say that is a question for PX which has now been resolved.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.