Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Office chair
  • jemima
    Free Member

My lower back stiffness and inspection of office chair says I need a new one (lumbar support non-existent). It will most likely be bought online as nowhere handy with a reasonable selection to try out. So, to that end, any recommendations?
    I quite fancy something a bit more plush than the usual fabric covered office chair…
    Needs to be durable and have all the adjustments.
    Cheers.

andermt
    Free Member

Herman Miller Aeron

Not cheap but has solved my back issues in my home office, just need to convince work to actually order the one they promised for the work office!

jemima
    Free Member

Holy mocus! That’s a nice looking chair but nae cheap!
    I’m prepared to spend a bit on a good chair but that’s a bit beyond my budget!
    For reference I wouldn’t say I have a bad back. I’m currently sitting on an ‘executive’ chair I bought in Staples about 15 years ago for c.£89 and its seen a fair amount use over the years (and 40hr/wk for the last 1.5 years) and the lumbar padding is now out the back of the chair so I’m just in a very poor posture and getting a stiff lower back. So hopefully just a decent new chair will sort me out 🙂

onewheelgood

We’ve still got some Aerons in the office that have been used every day for nearly 20 years and they are still in good condition. If you can’t stretch to an Aeron, the Mirra is a cheaper option – I’ve got one at home and it’s great. There’s also a healthy second-hand market for Herman Miller chairs, which given their hard wearing nature is worth looking at.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ikea for sensibly priced ones – worth a try. You don’t need to spend £800

boblo
    Free Member

You can get Aeron’s on eBay for good £££’s. Moly, this is STW. Of course you need to spend £800… 😛

jemima
    Free Member

The polished aluminium linkages are tempting…

slowoldman

I bet that makes the board meetings come alive.

mlpinto
    Free Member

We have Aerons in the office and, oddly, I don’t find them that great. I’ve heard that Steelcase Leap chairs are very good and supportive. As a bonus, used ones seem to be reasonably cheap on ebay (at least much less than an Aeron)

I’m going to find somewhere to try one and if I like it will be getting one for the home office.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve also spent a lot of time on those Aerons, and they are ok. Just ok.

The ones in the project I just finished were nicer but no idea what they were 🙂

dazh

Get a cheap chair that’s comfy to sit on then supplement it with a McKenzie Roll.

SkillWill
    Free Member

Aeron here. It’s OK, not amazing.

molgrips
    Free Member

The ones in the project I just finished were nicer

.. except for the ejector seat function. If you sit up and put your feed under the chair your heel unlocks the rather sensitive combined seat angle and back angle adjuster – both of which are spring loaded so you get the sensation of being ejected…

tonyg2003

2nd hand Herman Miller Aeron here. Went to a warehouse place that had loads for sale and choose one. It’s been excellent. No back probs since

slowoldman

Steelcase in our trendy new place (think W1A). Lumbar support is rubbish – a simple slide up and down thing which just keeps sliding down.

spacemonkey

We had HM Aerons in an old office. Liked the look of them but never found them comfortable.

Decided on a HumanScale jobby 2-3 yrs ago (for home) but when I went to pick it up the guy said have a play with it as he didn’t think it would “fit” me. He was 100% correct. Looked awesome but horribly uncomfortable. He then showed me a Steelcase Leap … wow, awesome chair. Super comfy and loads of adjustment. Have never looked back. Got it ridiculously cheap (re-upholstered too) after one of the banks went under. Still in identical condition now after loads of use.

My tuppence: don’t just buy a chair online – go find one, sit in it and have a play.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

It’s going to vary from person to person, like anything that needs to fit you.

I have a nice looking office chair, it causes me trouble. The basic hard wooden chairs we got from BHF for £20 don’t.

I need a new chair!

zilog6128

I was going to get Aerons for our office cos every thread on here has that as the default answer but thankfully I did a bit of extra Googling and virtually every other source I found on the interweb recommends the Steelcase Leap instead – especially if you have any kind of back problem.

2nd hand V1s on eBay are very affordable – paid a bit more to get V2s but they were still way cheaper than new. Really pleased with them. They are very adjustable and making the adjustments is extremely quick if you want to change your position. Also the seat stays parallel to the ground when you recline which I like (unlike most other chairs including the Aeron AFAIK)

Steelcase in our trendy new place (think W1A). Lumbar support is rubbish – a simple slide up and down thing which just keeps sliding down.

Sure you didn’t get fobbed off with cheap Chinese copies? 🙂 Our 2nd hand ones are all fine!

eltonerino
    Free Member

I’ve got a Steelcase Leap. It was about £115 delivered (to NI) on ebay. It is a big chair, I can sit cross legged on it and it only just fits under the desk (nearly too wide). It is really comfortable though, and nice and adjustable. You can set the back to be supportive when sitting, but when you want to daydream you just push back a little and it reclines to a decent angle. The padding on the seat is quite thin, but fine for me. On the back it is just material over plastic. It would be easy to add more padding though.

eltonerino
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I’ve got a V1, so no adjustable lumber support for me. Luckily it’s in the right place for me.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Padding can mask poor shape or fit.

andermt
    Free Member

With Aerons you need to make sure you get the correct size. I tried the wrong size first and it was just about okay, but the correct one is a brilliant chair.

We have the Herman Miller SAYL chairs as default at work and they are rubbish!

tekp2
    Free Member

Second hand aeron. I got mine for £100. Can’t go wrong

joepose
    Free Member

Aeron for me – was sat in the mirra for the last few years and swapped for the aeron last week. back has improved no end.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’ve been sat on an earon for the last 7 years, in an office where the chairs are ..errr…12 years or so old. they are comfy, can’t think of any coo leagues that complain, and they chairs are still in good condition.

nick1c
    Free Member

Aeron & Swiss ball here. Both great, but you can sit badly on anything & get back pain. Try to keep your pelvis in the same plane as your spine, whatever you sit on.

slowoldman

I’ve got a Steelcase Leap. It was about £115 delivered (to NI) on ebay. It is a big chair, I can sit cross legged on it and it only just fits under the desk (nearly too wide)

This one seems wide enough for your fat boss and his secretary.

http://www.johnlewis.com/vitra-eames-lounge-armchair/p231842459?colour=Black/%20Pallisander

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Office chair’ is closed to new replies.