Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • New toy to relieve the lockdown tedium
  • tillydog
    Free Member

Dangerous business, this lockdown… I end up buying all sorts:

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Let your inner Colin Furze run free!

Very nice acquisition.

And yes lockdown is getting a bit spendy.
    I’ve bought a guitar, 3 amps and an FX unit in the last 3 weeks.

grahamt1980

That is great, at some point I will have a proper workshop for metal and woodwork.
    Been expensive here too, loads of lego and an rc car which arrived today

hols2
    Free Member

null

Klunk
    Free Member
    ta11pau1

Now you can spend hours turning lumps of metal/wood/other materials into shavings!! 😀

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cool.

Are you going to make a .357 magnum revolver?

Davesport

A good book to accompany your lathe; “The Amateurs Lathe” by LH Sparey. A bit old school but packed with good information.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted a lathe, just not sure why.

leffeboy

Yep. No space nor need for it but really want one.  Think I might get brazing or welding kit first

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Dad and I went halves on a Myford Super7 back in the seventies. He managed to acquire somehow everything from a gearbox for thread cutting through to fluid pumps for coolant etc and then he was going to make his traction engine. He got about halfway before his death. I built assorted bits and bobs for racing dinghies but my kid brother really came out of his shell and used it to build lots of steam models using rough castings from Stuart Turner in Henley.
    When he was 16 he got offered so many apprenticeships due to his workshop skills it was almost embarrassing.
    Of course now he works as an IT manager….

tillydog
    Free Member

That’s where I was, but now I’ve got one!

Luckily, these Chinese lathes come with a whole host of niggles  and issues that’ll keep a new owner busy for ages 😀

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I’ve missed a lathe since leaving home (and my grandfather selling it…) Keep looking for a 2nd hand lathe, something like a Drummond round bed but I think it would cost me more to get in a workable quantity than buying a Chinese one.

tillydog
    Free Member

I think it would cost me more to get in a workable quantity than buying a Chinese one.

There is a sort of half way house  which is to buy a more up-market Chinese one which has been properly fettled:

https://www.warco.co.uk/metal-lathes/15-wm-180-variable-speed-lathe.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘New toy to relieve the lockdown tedium’ is closed to new replies.