Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • New On-One Huntsman
  • mattcartlidge

Spotted this on my youtube feed – no details on the planetx website yet, looks nice!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

no details on the planetx website yet

But its not even been on sale for a year. Give them time.

looks nice!

If by nice you mean “a steel hardtail, painted orange” yep, I guess so. It’s not ugly or anything but it’s very erm IKEA for want of a better word isn’t it?

Sliding drop outs are nice to see but I can’t help thinking they’ll only be available in one style (12mm with a Derailleur hanger)

Tim
    Free Member

I don’t really understand the on-one line of bikes anymore

Whats this one for? Where can i find it on aliexpress? 😉

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Whats this one for?

Selling off all the 9 speed kit they bought at bargain prices?

mattcartlidge

I did wonder where in the range it fitted, but its planetx so nothing needs to make sense.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Details here?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/mountain-bikes/on-one-huntsman

Looks like another variation on the Scandal/Big Dog/Fireline/Vandal geometry bar a few mm here and there.

Nice to see them making a singlespeed(able) frame again. And versatile too, slack geometry for fun, and 3 bottle cages for days when you just want to ride all day. Looks like a proper hardtail 👍

Obviously all this means it’ll cost less than the rear mech of anything that the mag would actually consider reviewing.

IdleJon

Obviously all this means it’ll cost less than the rear mech of anything that the mag would actually consider reviewing.

Or, looked at another way, it costs £1100 with cheap forks, no dropper post and Panaracer Fire Sport tyres. It may have got it’s merits but I’m struggling to see past the ancient tyres.

jeffl

See they popped down the road to Magna for the video.

lunge

Like they look of that, shame it’s a SRAM build or I’d be tempted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or, looked at another way, it costs £1100 with cheap forks, no dropper post and Panaracer Fire Sport tyres. It may have got it’s merits but I’m struggling to see past the ancient tyres.

I’d agree, although in On-One fashion I’d assume there’ll be a container load of 35’s or something appearing at some point. Just wait until the spec sheet bingo card matches what you’re after (or buy the frame only).

ta11pau1

It’ll be available frame only soon I’d think.

Otherwise, I like that. Decent geo (ST could be 20mm shorter but it’s still OK) and nice sliding dropouts with a boost bolt through axle.

IdleJon

I’d agree, although in On-One fashion I’d assume there’ll be a container load of 35’s or something appearing at some point. Just wait until the spec sheet bingo card matches what you’re after (or buy the frame only).

😀

damascus
    Free Member

You can’t put it in the sale unless you are selling it at full rrp. The scandal frame only was £799 rrp.

If you want to buy it, sign up for the newsletter and play stick or twist when it’s on sale from one week to another.

Bazz

Can’t help thinking that an alloy (or steel) gravel bike would be a nice addition to the range rather than another mtb, they’re all starting to look a little similar.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Can’t help thinking that an alloy (or steel) gravel bike would be a nice addition to the range rather than another mtb, they’re all starting to look a little similar.

Judging by the price I’m assuming there aren’t huge numbers of Big Dogs left? Usually the price goes upto something silly when they’ve only got enough left to work through the build kits (a bit like the £799 Scandal). I don’t know why they don’t just call it Big Dog V2 (or just bring back the inbred name).

The version I’d really like to see is a Loco-Moto with those dropouts.

IdleJon

You can’t put it in the sale unless you are selling it at full rrp. The scandal frame only was £799 rrp.

If you want to buy it, sign up for the newsletter and play stick or twist when it’s on sale from one week to another.

I don’t know what this means.

I have to enter some sort of lottery to buy it?

😀

hardtailonly

Does seem like a lot of crossover with the BigDog, Bootzipper, Scandal, Vandal etc. And whilst the geo on the Bootzipper is quite different, the ‘bikepacking’ purpose is similar.

The slidey dropouts will appeal to some, me included … I’ll wait and see what frame only price is, and potentially might swap it out for my BigWig, which is currently SS.

ads678

Isn’t that the London Road?

mjsmke

I like it. Theres not many other frames with horizontal dropouts at a sensible price. Just as shame its steel and heavy. If it was Carbon id buy it to replace my Whippet frame for a better single speed setup.

LAT

Can’t help thinking that an alloy (or steel) gravel bike would be a nice addition to the range rather than another mtb

there was a post on here last week about the On One Rojo that appeared briefly on the planet x website. it was a steel gravel bike.

hardtailonly

There was this thread last week, maybe suggestive of a steel gravel bike?

on one rojo?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

So to do something a bit different and stand out they should do a gravel bike?

Oh the ironing.

nickc

If it was Carbon id buy it

Yep, some-one needs to make a slack carbon HT, (like the Yeti ARC, but much much cheaper) Don’t want a 29er Inbred.

Looks good though

footflaps

Oh the ironing.

🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yep, some-one needs to make a slack carbon HT, (like the Yeti ARC, but much much cheaper) Don’t want a 29er Inbred.

A carbon Dave would be a hoot!

Oh the ironing.

Presumably they meant rather than the 5th hardtail based on the same geometry in recent years?

on one rojo?

Doesn’t look singlespeed, although if it is I’ll definitely be buying one.

Bazz

Oh the ironing.

I don’t think i said or implied anything to say “be different”, alloy frames tend to be a bit cheaper than the carbon or ti equivalent so a alloy equivalent of the Freeranger would sit in the range quite well in my opinion.

Isn’t that the London Road?

The tyre clearance on that is a little limited though, 35 or 38mm max isn’t it? 40mm+ would be better.

chakaping
    Free Member

Slight tangent, but do we think On One are mainly making bikes for newbies now?

They keep speccing rubbish forks and drivetrains which very few of us would actually want on a complete bike.

tthew

Probably not a bad business model TBH. Basic bike/low cost for newbies and framesets for the more experienced who will swap nice kit from their old bike and upgrade from there. I can’t see many people plumping for an On-One over other brands if the purchase cost was similar.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They keep speccing rubbish forks and drivetrains which very few of us would actually want on a complete bike.

Dunno about that, mine had 35’s and GX (they later changed to an SX cassette but otherwise similar).

The Dave/LocoMoto had Pikes and GX.

The drop bar offerings all seem to come in whatever group set you like as long as its SRAM (or EKAR if you have deep pockets).

I can’t see many people plumping for an On-One over other brands if the purchase cost was similar.

Cheap Vs good value though.

Their USP used to be that you could buy an Inbred for a lot less than anything comparable because 80%* of the bikes “value” comes down to the design of it. But 80% of its cost is in building it. So if you design out all the superfluous bits (anything cast, forged, machined) you’re left with a bike that’s just as good, but significantly cheaper to make and sell.

Planet-X/On-One seems more like an n+1 brand, lots of returning customers buying a 29er, fat bike, gravel bike, road bike/MTB/TT bike (for MTB’ers, roadies and more roadies respectively).

*I’m sticking the 80/20 rule in here

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Slight tangent, but do we think On One are mainly making bikes for newbies now?

They keep speccing rubbish forks and drivetrains which very few of us would actually want on a complete bike

I think they’re still making them at a very similar price point. The reality is that a fancy set of forks retails for more these days than that retail price point for a complete bike. Necessarily that means they’re less likely to have higher end kit.

They’re clearly not for newbies though as they’re the same bikes (or rather price point) people keep saying “we” want to see more reviews of etc as they’re the ones “most of us” buy. Only of course “we” want to see them with at least mid to high end forks, drivetrains and so on. I assume we’ll also want to read these whilst supping the pint we bought for a shilling & thrupence.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only of course “we” want to see them with at least mid to high end forks, drivetrains and so on.

That spec does read like “supply chain issues, do you want it or not” from the suppliers. Either that or (possibly
    given the dropouts) they’re going to sell it at a much higher price point than the scandal/big dog so it’s a £600 frame with a £600 build kit, rather than a £300 frame with a £900 build kit?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Presumably they meant rather than the 5th hardtail based on the same geometry in recent years?

As a fifth gravel bike would be better?

I don’t think i said or implied anything to say “be different”,

It’s a fair point, I just found the idea that a gravel bike could actually be different a bit comical and it’s not like they don’t already make 4…

alloy frames tend to be a bit cheaper than the carbon or ti equivalent so a alloy equivalent of the Freeranger would sit in the range quite well in my opinion.

Ah, you mean that sort of different.

But neither of those is exactly expensive is it? The carbon one starts at what, £800 rrp with fork, £1000 for the ti with fork? That makes both of them cheap in the gravel market (I think, its a while since I looked) and not wildly out of keeping with the road or mtb offerings. So to do something actually different in terms of the range it would be more not less expensive.

They don’t currently list a metal road bike frame at a glance but do list a £400 carbon frame and fork. It’s not the material that makes it expensive.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Either that or (possibly
    given the dropouts) they’re going to sell it at a much higher price point than the scandal/big dog so it’s a £600 frame with a £600 build kit, rather than a £300 frame with a £900 build kit?

I’d think the dropouts are less of an indication on that than the reality everything is more expensive this year. If I had to guess, I’d say the new frame is not an additional one but a replacement because they’re not daft enough to think they can actually sell the big dog etc at the 2022 price after it’s previously been on sale at £300.
    (Something I fully expect their own pricing and sales history tells them if they weren’t doing it deliberately to control the volume of orders for specific stuff coming in)

chakaping
    Free Member

Dunno about that, mine had 35’s and GX (they later changed to an SX cassette but otherwise similar).

The Dave/LocoMoto had Pikes and GX.

The drop bar offerings all seem to come in whatever group set you like as long as its SRAM (or EKAR if you have deep pockets).

A Pike and GX wouldn’t add much to the price, but would save the buyer hundreds in upgrade costs.

Agree it might be due to product shortages on the midrange parts though.

I specifically put On One, because the drop bar PX bikes are generally well specced.

Wonder if they’ve done something to upset Shimano though? They seem very Sram-heavy.

Bazz

@dangeourbrain you make a compelling argument there, i suppose I have just fallen into the trap of applying my own preconceptions and have got used to being able to get an alloy frame for a couple of hundred quid for a second/winter bike, in my mind carbon and ti are still high end or slightly exotic frame materials with a price tag to match. In many ways the London Road is the ideal bike from their range for me, except for that tyre clearance, I want more! And different colours other than fluorescent snot or black😃 Maybe the next iteration will address that.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Wonder if they’ve done something to upset Shimano though? They seem very Sram-heavy.

Better OE pricing based on the volume I expect and judging from the discount you used to see on grey market Sram vs shimano I would guess their OE prices are much lower.

A Pike and GX wouldn’t add much to the price,

If that were an extra £300 that would be 30%, even £50 would take it over the magic 1k mark.
    I think your “much” is very optimistic though. Pikes are rrp of £700+ the judy £175 even if px pay rrp on those (they won’t) the pikes would need discounting back by 75% to match that. Gx vs sx £520 vs £385 at list (with crank).
    Those two changes alone would add 50% or more to that bike.

I suspect judys and sx also attract a higher level of OE discount to get them into the £800-£1000 market.

damascus
    Free Member

My friend still rides his on one carbon 456 with 26 inch wheels with a slack headset.

I seem to remember the frames were around £400 new.

I think the only carbon hardtail they do is a whippet.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

@dangeourbrain you make a compelling argument there

Broken clocks and all that.

ads678

The tyre clearance on that is a little limited though, 35 or 38mm max isn’t it? 40mm+ would be better.

I’m running 40mm nano’s on mine with full mudguards. They seem to have dissapeared of the planet x website now though so maybe they’ve discontinued it. Shame as its a very underated bike.

45/50mm clearance would be great though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I did ask that when I went to pick my scandal up form the warehouse, OE pricing and build kits apparently.

You get a much better price on a SRAM drivechain if you also spec a SRAM fork.

So not only are you swapping form GX to SLX (which weighs more like SX) even though GX=XT at RRP and weight. But you’ve also got to go out an buy a fork because RS won’t give you the same deal if you’re not buying the SRAM group set.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.