Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • New kettle recommendation?
  • Caher

As my old kettle is spewing out limescale, so I’m in the market for a new kettle. Trying to avoid plastic.
    Just returned an Ascot steel to Amazon as the water was never really hot enough.

sirromj

I simply adore my Smeg Dolce & Gabbana kettle.

ElShalimo

We’ve got one of these

It’s boils water and has a blue light. What’s not to like?

Caher

The Ascot? The water is not hot enough. My old Kenwood gives me a piping hot cuppa.

jkomo

I like our Bosch one that has temperature control in 10 degree steps down to 70.
    Good for Aeropress coffee.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Picked up a Dualit Architect for £35 in the John Lewis bargain department the other day.

mick_r

Not a posh Kenwood one. Our old plastic Kenwood is still going (now for garage use) after 22 years. Had two expensive K-Mix models literally go pop very quickly (number two was the warranty replacement).

Current Bosch one seems to be lasting OK.

Caher

Ah Dualit, yes I just bought the toaster from this brand.

FuzzyWuzzy

+1 for Bosch, that said my previous Russell Hobbs was fine for about 10 years, the auto-shut-off-when-boiling thing failed in the end though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

We bought an AEG steel one recently, to replace an expensive Bosch one that only lasted about 4 years.

Both thermostatic which is great for making tea.

Both totally overpriced but Mrs Gob wanted something she liked the look of. If it was up to me I would of bought a much cheaper one. But it wasn’t so I didn’t.

Kryton57

Tsk.  Get a hot tap.

surfer
    Free Member

On our 3rd Smeg kettle in 2 yrs (and 2 months as guarantee just ran out!!) first one leaked, badges fell off the 2nd one and the 3rd one has just stopped working. We have the matching toaster otherwise I would never have another.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my cheapo tesco special (the cheapest stainless steel one they did) 10 years go died a death resultant of gravity last month.

I replaced it with a quiet boil stainless steel russell hobbs for 30 quid. IF it doesnt last 10 years + ill be annoyed.

spacemonkey

10 yr old Alessi (similar to the blue bird / tea rex) here. Makes a proper brew in no time at all.

cheese@4p

I prefer plastic over metal kettles as they are quieter

dantsw13

If you want a new kettle there is so many options.

Dirt cheap – they all boil water.
    Something nice with good features.

We have a kitchenaid Artisan, picked up cheap, old stock. They aren’t cheap, but it is the best kettle I’ve had by a distance. Properly insulated, fast boil, variable temperature, sealed element for easy descaling.

If money is the prime driver, descale it properly?

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Buy some oust and get rid of the limescale in your current kettle and keep using it until it breaks. Keep your current kettle out of landfill.

Caher

Yes white vinegared it last night. Tea tastes of white vinegar.

scuttler

This thread is great.

chewkw
    Free Member

Stellar Stove Top Kettle 1.7LStellar Stove Top Kettle 1.7L

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pan on the hob. 😮

toby1

Had an Alessi stove top for 12 years, had to buy a new bird whistle once as the original one went awol, aside from that it does the same job it has everytime it has been used for the last 10 years and with no element there is very little limescale in it, despite our water being as hard as your mates Dad.

sturdylad
    Free Member

After the last kettle thread on kettles where I was singing the praises of our Bosch, it promptly died!
    Have ordered the new version of the same kettle, arrives tomorrow.
    Stupidly expensive (£100) but if lasts as long as the previous one, around 8 years, then it’s not so expensive.
    Bought from John Lewis so if nothing else we have 2 years warranty if it turns out to be a dud!

You can still get the old model Bosch for around £60 on Amazon, it’s the one mentioned above with variable temp.
    Would recommend.

johnx2
    Free Member

Jesus Christ this thread is about kettles. Jesus Christ…

Cougar

Ah, kettles. For a device that has one job, it astounds me how many are incapable of doing it properly. See also, toasters.

Plastic ones with the water level thing on the outside all leak, sooner or later. Avoid.

Google would suggest that I have this one:

https://uk.russellhobbs.com/product/cambridge-polished-kettle

It’s easily the best I’ve ever owned, boils rapidly it’s lasted for years. A+++ would buy again.

Cougar

Jesus Christ this thread is about kettles. Jesus Christ…

I’m curious, what did you expect from the thread title? An in-depth discussion of the artistic merits of Michaelangelo?

Maybe a thread asking for shed recommendations would be more exciting…

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i have 2, a le creuset stove top (tk maxx bargain, 15 quid about 12 years ago) and a brewista temperature control gooseneck for poncy coffee duties (can set it to switch on by timer, bring water up to any temp you want below 100 and keep it at that temperature for up to 2 hours if you so wish, ebay unwanted gift bargain for 25 quid a year or so ago).

have i won the kettle**** award?

dufresneorama
    Free Member
    johnx2
    Free Member

I’m curious, what did you expect from the thread title?

What I expect, to be honest, is to find out that people will pay £476 for a genuine 1953 model stove top Le Creuset with the whistle tuned to C#. Others will nod admiringly at this, but post pictures of choice items from their extensive collection of classic 70s digital kettles. There’ll be a Smeg v Bugatti flame war for a few pages; a ‘what kettle to go on my woodburner’ digression. Possibly we’ll find that there are a handful of artisan bespoke kettle welders, stealth advertising.

That, 17 pages in, is what I expect.

I’ve spent too long in here haven’t I? I’m after a red one, as it goes…

Cougar

Well played, sir, well played.

Caher

Luckily money is not an issue but I would not pay £476 for a kettle! Hanging on grimly to my old one.

chewkw
    Free Member

Mine is £25 stainless steel Zebra Brand whistling made in Thailand stainless steel kettle.

Good design but steel is a bit thin but effective enough.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘New kettle recommendation?’ is closed to new replies.