Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • New hissing noise from VW diesel
  • airvent
    Free Member

Passat has developed a new noise recently which seems to be a rhythmic hissing or scraping sound.

Long shot, but before I either ignore it until something detonates itself, or give in and pay a garage a small fortune for an opinion, has anyone got any ideas of how I could narrow this down?

https://streamable.com/161dgq

It’s a 2015 2.0 diesel with a 6 speed manual box.

Kahurangi

That’s a scraping of metal on metal, probably just a dead bearing or bushing. I don’t know what it is but I’d not be ignoring that.

slowoldman

Can you locate the source with a hammer against your ear?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I am in the “ignore at your peril” group.

swanny853

I was going to ask if it’s a Pssss-at but it is so that rather takes the wind out of the joke.

jca

Checked for snakes?

matt_outandabout

That sounds like bearing or similar that’s dry.
    Don’t ignore.

timba
    Free Member

Sounds like it might be an auxiliary connected to the serpentine belt, access via wheelarch??

andrewh
    Free Member

Do you think it might be the windscreen vipers? Or a fuel issue possibly, maybe he should try an addertive.

timba
    Free Member

👏👏

sharkbait
    Free Member

Username checks out 👍

matt_outandabout

*groan*

airvent
    Free Member

Came for the advice, stayed for the puns.

It’s due a full service soon so I’ll bring that forward and ask them to check the noise out while they’re on.

Since it’s a VW I’ll preemptively phone the bank manager to let them know they won’t be needing to look after my cash anymore for a while.

molgrips
    Free Member

The period of the sound suggests it’s something to do with the auxiliary belt or the timing belt, to me. There’s a cover on the timing belt you can pop off and watch it as it goes round. Look for frayed bits or something.

singletrackmind

Frayed or delamination cambelt would be my guess

airvent
    Free Member

Timing belt and water pump were changed one year ago but doesn’t mean they were installed properly I suppose.

fossy

Sounds like a belt to me.

andrewh
    Free Member

Don’t delay in checking it out if it is a timing belt, get it checked ASP

reeksy

If you suspect a belt it can work to spray a bit of silicone spray on it to see if it changes the sound

molgrips
    Free Member

If you want to inspect the timing or auxiliary belt you could remove the cover, jack one wheel up, put it in top gear then turn the raised wheel which will turn the engine over slowly.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Agree with the above – the timing of the noise suggests aux belt, or something connected to it. Probably not the timing belt if that was done recently.

tillydog
    Free Member

“If you suspect a belt it can work to spray a bit of silicone spray on it to see if it changes the sound ”

I agree, but don’t use silicone! Try giving any visible belts a squirt with a water sprayer while the engine is running – if the sound changes it’s a slipping / worn belt.

Was the cambelt tensioner changed at the same time as the belt?

snotrag

Its the speed and frequency for an aux belt, belt pulley, tensioner, A/C pulley or suchlike.

Easily confirmed with a quicksquirt of GT85 etc onto the belt and pulleys – if it dissapears, thats your noise.

No, this is not a fix. but it confirms the source of the noise.

airvent
    Free Member

It looks a bit frustrating to get the cover off to inspect the belts as there’s a lot of hoses and pipes going past it. Knowing my luck I’d break a connection trying to move them and cause a bigger problem!

No idea if the tensioner was done along with the belt – it seems to come as part of the timing belt kit so you’d assume so but you never know.

airvent
    Free Member

Bugger. Tried a few independent VW garages around here and all booked up for at least two weeks and suggested I probably shouldn’t be driving it in the mean time.

Given it has some other annoyances and recent repairs I’ve already shelled out for I’m extremely tempted to just cut my losses and trade it in…

singletrackmind

Is it an estate?

airvent
    Free Member

Yes, B8 estate.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.