Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • new Ghostbusters film
  • Drac

I think, honestly, that if you look too hard into a remake of anything… y’a just gonna hate it whatever.

I gave it chance but it was just too bad.

rene59
    Free Member

Yep it was targeted by some fairly nasty Neanderthals who having not seen it or had any interest in seeing it hated the idea because it was part of an alleged anti men/feminist/blah blah blah agenda.

It was a trailer. Not many people watch and rate a trailer after they have seen the movie. I suppose the 300K likes were straight white men hating SJWs jumping on the latest bandwagon.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I assume you missed the actual news reports at the time there rene?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

“I doubt there’s anything in the new one that’s quote worthy.”

When I though the line was “the power of PAIN compels you” I thought that was pretty excellent. But then it turned out to be “the power of Patty compels you, which isn’t.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I ain’t afraid of no goats! 😮

P-Jay
    Free Member

The upside of the Reboot being quite so shit is that they scrapped a sequel of it.

Which means Ghostbusters 3 that Dan Aykroyd is involved with writing is slightly more likely to be made.

Drac

Ghostbusters was in the news?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

By crikey this was bad. Like next level dross.

Missing in action were plot, dialogue and humour.

The cast did their best with what they had, but when life hands you a bottom conker, however much you polish it, it’s still a bit smelly.

And it was long. Like the brain that barely covered a small water biscuit, even at half the length it would have been stretched thin.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the original. If I have I don’t remember, or didn’t make it to the end. Maybe it was the **** annoying theme song that put me off – I’m sure that was in the charts when I was a moody goff type and that wouldn’t’ve helped. Just probably I was too old to bother with it at the time and not bothered since.
    And shit, how annoying is that Nationwide (I think) ad??

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Theme song was daft and goofy, like the whole film. You missed out.

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe, but I hated that theme tune. Dunno about “missing out” though, I don’t think it’s ruined my life or anything 😆

mikey74
    Free Member

The original was good when it was a comedy film. Not so good as a gothic horror. As a result, if its ever on I usually watch the first half or so and then switch it off.

I haven’t seen the latest one though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The original is funny, silly, doesn’t take itself too seriously. It’s very 80s, but manages to fit in with 2018 sensibilities without being preachy like so many ‘right on’ films of it’s era.

Nostalgia plays a bit part though, I would think if you watched it for the first time as an adult now you’d see a kids film with ropey special effects, because that’s what it is.

retro83
    Free Member

ropey special effects

Some good ones in there though, like the cards flying out and the books floating in the first scene.

Weirdly, even though some of the effects are really crap (the plasticine dogs for example), they still look somehow more believable than the CGI shite in the remake.

Drac

Ghostbusters a gothic horror? Not Mr Staypuffed is exactly gothic.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ghostbusters a gothic horror? Not Mr Staypuffed is exactly gothic.

I did say it wasn’t a very good one.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

That is the first time I’ve heard the Class of 84 Ghostbusters accused of being a gothic horror.

you’d see a kids film with ropey special effects, because that’s what it is

but it also had, plot, dialogue and humour. It worked because it was consistently funny. Not because ghosts were scary and stuff and it had wicked cool effects.

brakes
    Free Member

It is a terrible film with no redeeming qualities, by association it sullies the names of Dan Ackroyd, Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson, Harold Raims (RIP), Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis. It also does damage to those trying to better address the massive gender imbalance in Hollywood and the scourge that is toxic masculinity.
    Another example of the dire state of Hollywood and it’s endless cynical remakes, reboots, rehashes and unoriginal money-making cookie-cutter approach to selling movies to gullible markets.

TLDR: didn’t like it.

Pook

jamesy01
    Free Member

Awesome, a teaser already.
    Reports that this is nothing to do with the reboot but the original directors son taking over the reigns and carrying on the 80’s franchise.

Drac

Yup it’s going down the Stranger Things route with kids playing the main roles. Not sure now I feel about that but the original was a kids film so it’s maybe to appeal to the new generation as opposed to old sentimental duffers like me.

spacemonkey

FFS that reminds me of Critters. Total shite.

Which begs another quest: why is GB never on TV?

Drac

Don’t you being knocking Critters man.

funkmasterp

Woah, woah, woah! Critters is a classic B movie. Next you’ll be telling me Weekend at Bernie’s isn’t great.

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘new Ghostbusters film’ is closed to new replies.