Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • New frame musing
  • nixie

Lockdown has given me too much time to look at bikes. I currently have an XL 2017 rocket which I’ve been happy with, but I find myself wanting a bit more BB drop and stand over and a bit steeper seat tube (and therefore longer reach). The effective top tube length is fine on the current bike. I’m keen to keep my current build kit as it’s still in really good condition. I’m already running a 180mm dropper but would like a 200mm. At 185cm I’m borderline L/XL for most brands. I think I’ve got it down to 3 new choices.

Airdrop edit (large)
    Pros
    Strong, keen pricing, ticks all the geo differences I’m after.
    Available end of month.
    Negs
    Might be too much bike for my skilz. Not much call for a 160mm travel bike on the south coast and I’m more wheels on the ground than rad big air.
    Need a new dropper for 30.9.
    Can’t tow follow me tandem.

Cotic jeht (large)
    Pros
    Bit less enduro focused which I think probably fits my usage more.
    Available April.
    Can tow follow me.
    Can use the king headset and dropper I have.
    Negs
    Would need forks and wheels as well.
    Previous 2 bikes have been cotic’s. Nothing wrong with that but fancy a change.

Stanton switchback 140 fs (19.5)
    Pros bit less travel suits local rides better but still takes longer forks.
    warranty and possibility of a change to 29er in the future.
    Negs
    The 19.5″ is not significantly lower than the XL rocket but the 18″ has the same reach.
    Needs new dropper.
    Lead time.

I’d like something sorted before a trip that may or may not happen a week after the current target end of restrictions.

Any thoughts on the choices.

I’ve discounted models from Nicolai, Geometron, anything carbon, pipedream, starling (lovely but single pivot).

nixie

I guess what I’m asking is other than the flighty heart response how do you choose between 3 very capable frames without testing them.

sillyoldman

Your current bike is single pivot – odd to discount the Starling (and presumably Pipedream) for being SP?

nixie

Linkage driven single pivot which behaves differently to a straight single pivot. I’ve had a straight single pivot or two in the past and kind of want to try a Horst or multi link virtual pivot. I’ve never had either before. The jeht is the ‘safe’ option as it’s suspension design is not dissimilar to my current rocket. Iirc the 27.5 starling also stops at large which based in their numbers is not long enough for what I think I want (the mullet is but needs new forks and front wheel).

sillyoldman

Not trying to make light of your choices. Depends on layouts – not all straight SPs behave the same and not all linkage driven SPs behave the same. A few demos would be best, but they are understandably difficult at the moment. Can you hold off a couple of months until things relax enough for demos to be possible?

scaredypants

Bird ?

You’re in Southampton area, right ?
    I have an AM9 (L, 2018 model) that you’re welcome to try out – bad time of year for it but still, …

AM9 might not be the bike of theirs that suits you best but would give you a feel for their general setup

scaredypants

FWIW (that year’s L model)

Seat tube 470
    ETT 655
    Reach 500
    Stack 623
    Wheelbase 1265
    Head tube 110
    Standover 700
    BB drop sagged 78 (30 static)

intheborders
    Free Member

If you’re a wheels down man and South Coast based, I’d be looking at the Flare Max.

I live in the Tweed Valley and there’s nothing mine can’t get down in comfort & safety. Mines the 2018, so equivalent-ish geometry to yours, but I have put a -2 degree headset in which (lower BB, steeper seat tube and changed the stem from 35 to 40 to get the same reach).

but I find myself wanting a bit more BB drop and stand over and a bit steeper seat tube (and therefore longer reach).

A steeper seat tube wouldn’t automatically give you a longer reach.

But before buying anything new, I’d try a -2 headset first. What width bars are you running and how forward is your seat?

Yak

Demo a bird from Eversley and then ride your local for a day? I know the demos are not available right now but they might soon as per restriction easing.

nixie

There are things I liked about SP, e.g. digging in when climbing. But I’ve memories of a folding in half feeling at times (this could have been setup). Been at least 5-6 years since I rode a straight SP though and shocks have improved.

Can you hold off a couple of months until things relax enough for demos to be possible?

This would probably be best TBH. But itchy fingers. Also been looking at second hand so I can try with less risk (before buying something later). Demos from the South coast are difficult a lot of the time due to distance.

@scaredypants
    I may take you up on that. It’s both longer and 29 so would.get a feeling for both. Other than not wanted to change some good 27.5 parts I have one the the negs for 29 is I’m not sure they suit the riding available near here.

A steeper seat tube wouldn’t automatically give you a longer reach.

Good point. I’ve been specifically look at frames/sizes with reach >=480mm. That’s a whole 12mm longer than currently.

But before buying anything new, I’d try a -2 headset first. What width bars are you running and how forward is your seat?

780mm or 800mm bars (nukeproof carbon V2 with the forward shape). 35mm stem. Seat is biased forward, but not so far it looks weird (if that makes sense).

-2 would give 63.5 Deg HA (I’m running forks at 160). Is that not quite slack. I have stuck the numbers into a geo calculator in the past but cannot remember where that site is currently. Slackerset does bring the BB drop even or very slightly negative instead of the positive it is now.

Did you go longer on the stem? Thought a slacker HA from headset lengthens the reach as the front sits lower.

The flare max would be more than enough for down here. The reason for looking at the jeht instead is because I want it to be able handle big lakes days and dyfi/bpw. My reasoning was the jeht would be better for that.

nixie

Bird is the easiest to demo from here. I have looked at the aether 7 as a similar setup.

chakaping
    Free Member

Without getting into specific models, it sounds like you might be best off with a mid-travel 29er – but one with slack & long geometry similar to your Rocket?

nixie

I have been wondering that. Other than wanting to avoid new forks/wheels (forks especially as there appears to be a shortage of decent ones) my concern is that around 29ers on tighter trails.

intheborders
    Free Member

Did you go longer on the stem? Thought a slacker HA from headset lengthens the reach as the front sits lower.

No, shortens it as the bars roll backwards as the axle moves forward.

I made a mistake above, moved from 35mm to 45mm.

I’m long legged but shorter in the body. I found the Cotic XL’s in 2018 had too much reach when pedalling (but fine on descents), so went Large (after lots of demo time with Sam). I then rode the new XL’s a year ago, and found they fitted better (steeper seat tube I think with my long legs).

I only went to a -2 after reading an article on them. Works great.

If I was buying a new bike, which I’m not, I’d just buy an updated Flare Max (in XL).

chakaping
    Free Member

my concern is that around 29ers on tighter trails.

My experience is that it is and it isn’t a thing. I manage fine on tighter trails but when I hop on a 650b bike it can feel more nimble. But the 29in advantages far outweigh the downsides.

Best to try a mate’s a see what you think yourself?

Or go mullet, you’re looking at heavy frames anyway so maybe one of those new Saracens. Great VFM.

nixie

No, shortens it as the bars roll backwards as the axle moves forward.

Of course, lengthens the frame slightly but brings the bars closer due to the slacker angle. How tall are you? I think I’m fairly evenly proportioned.

you’re looking at heavy frames anyway

Yeah all quite heavy. I favour reliable over weight and have enough fitness/power to compensate.

This is all making me think sticking then testing would make sense.

intheborders
    Free Member

6’2″ with a +35″ inside leg.

joebristol

I think I’d add the Aether 7 and Aether 9 to your list as mentioned above. Assuming you want mid travel but still capable.

The Aether 7 I’ve got has taken everything in its stride that the Bird Aeris 145LT I had before it (similar to the AM160 which is just an evolution of the 145). Maybe slows down a touch quicker through rock gardens and repetitive sections of roots – but nothing major. Feels more playful as a flip side and goes up hills a bit better.

Guessing the 9 version is similar but with more rollover ability so probably keeps its speed better.

nixie

There is a lot to like about the aether 7. Quick email to bird also confirms coil shock is viable which I like. Another on the list.

Superficial
    Free Member

Multi-link suspension design – check
    489mm top tube – check
    27.5 wheels – check
    Not carbon – check

Just an idea

https://www.c6bikes.co.uk/Santa-Cruz-Bronson-3-Alu–Frameset–2020/cycle_detail/3-956

nixie

To close this off I’ve gone for an aether 7 in gloss raw. I discovered my shock can be extended to fit which is a bonus. It’s in the cost range I’d be happy loosing a bit on if I hate it (which I doubt).

The custom geometry for the Stanton is understandably not available at the moment due to demand. I may still have one in the future when this returns (or a 29er version when component availability is better).

The edit ran close but ultimately I decided it’s more bike than I really need. The jeht lost out as 29er (availablity of parts at sensible cost).

Frame has been shipped and the invisi frame kit arrived today. Shock and forks are booked for a service and resize end of the week after. Can’t wait 😃.

joebristol

You should be grand with the Aether – it’s quite a good all round trail bike – with decent geometry if you want to push it hard. Love mine – it’s been used for everything during lockdown as I sold my old hardtail last summer in anticipation of a new one that I’ve only now had a couple of weeks.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘New frame musing’ is closed to new replies.