Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • New bike day Swarf content
  • dumbbot
    Free Member

Bloody forum eat my thread twice..I have a new bike, it is blue.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

very nice indeed! however…

#nocoil #shortfrontbrakehose #iseecablerubcoming #stateofthatpatio

gaidong
    Free Member

I just knocked my laptop on the floor with my #instaboner.

roverpig

Very nice. Needs a bit of mud on it though 🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

I think the rear brake hose could do with a smalll trim, and front maybe a touch short…but they are fine. Or at least I can’t be arsed dealing with trimming braided hoses right now.

kayak23

Lovely that. 👍

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

😀

johnw1984
    Free Member

Loving the silver and blue combo, very nice!

singlespeedstu

#coniferivasionthroughthescreens.

But also approves of swarfcycles.

Just hopes that John doesn’t have to throw his undercrackers in the skip (again) while he’s up there stopping with Mr and Mrs Swarf cycles.

MarcSussex
    Free Member

I thought that was a hardtail at first glance !  That’s very neatly designed, what a lovely frame, congrats.

honourablegeorge

Is that a Box derailleur?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yes, it’s a Box two drivetrain with an 11-50 cassette. Wanted to try something different, and less faffy that eagle..

honourablegeorge

Will be very interested to hear how the Box goes. Lovely frame too.

tdog
    Free Member

How you liking the Sapphires?

Did you manage the travel reduction on your own in the end?

lovely frame btw and sensible build! 🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

So I replaced the front hose, and have gotten a few ride in and you’ll be unsurprised to hear Tris that the Sapphire forks are awesome, really easy to get them set up and feeling super.

The Box drivetrain with the 50tooth sunrace however is another story, I’ve had this down 2 separate LBS to try and get this shifting in case it was me..but it is diabolical. Looking at returning this it’s that bad, going for the ‘not fit for purpose’.. I’m so disappointed, all I want to do is ride the thing now. Waiting to hear from the shop and from Box components.

kelvin

More photos needed!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Those patio slabs are in a right state

trumpton
    Free Member

looks lovely.

funkmasterp

Thread resurrection! Such a great looking bike, how are you getting on with it, how does it ride and have you sorted the drivetrain and patio?

dumbbot
    Free Member

Oh yeah, i meant to return and post some more pictures and such but im really bad at taking pictures..they just look shit and anyway i’ve been too busy having fun. I’ve changed to bars to Burgtec carbons, didn’t like the Raceface. And well the Box drivetrain issues were my own hamfistedness of using a chain that was too short and a bent derailleur hanger, Box uk distro and the shop were really helpful and sent me a new shifter as a precaution but the main issue was me and the fact i’ve used SRAM for too many years and just couldn’t get used to it. its up on classified if anyone wants it, i’m happy to let to go for any reasonable offer. Got a SRAM XX1 11speed on there now.

Anyway, before I start gushing and go all Guy Kesteven I should prefix the following by saying i’m not a professional bike tester and haven’t been testing bikes for 21years, if you want a proper review please read Trevor @ Enduro Mag , https://enduro-mtb.com/en/swarf-contour-review/ its absolute bang on the money and i’ll tell you why.

I read the STW review before i demo the bike last year, and didn’t relate to a few of the comments like

STW mag

The Contour is OK for pedal efficiency, though the active suspension bobs while you’re cruising along on smoother surface

Enduro mag

Anti-squat sits near to 100% at the sag point using a 32 tooth chainring and in all but the largest cassette ring the suspension is totally neutral. We found we were frequently sitting two gears higher than usual on familiar climbs and long days were a breeze

I cant tell you that even on a hastily set up demo bike there wasn’t any pedal bob, and speaking about my build i think the way the bike pedals is remarkable it feels genuinely lively, nimble, sprightly all the things a supposedly heavy fully steel 29er shouldn’t be…but you turn the pedals and it wants to go, fast. The Monarch shock was changed to a High volume/lowcomp tune after the standard one was found to be too progressive for the frame leverage rate, its really brought the frame to life.

Aside form the pedaling platform, there is something that is just right about the whole bike, the ride position feels really neutral/natural for me. I am bog standard 5’8″ on a good day and the medium has been a doodle to get set up and feeling right, it;s not a long bike but trevor Enduro Mag quote is on the money for me.

Sublimely balanced geometry

It such a calm and composed bike to ride even when you are chucking it down some utterly silly stuff, i was hucking it off some jumps yesterday at the Kilpatricks hills with some boys on DH bikes ..ehhah. And i think the versatility of the Contour is a big plus and i’ve yet to experiment with putting a coil shock on.

TL;DR

I love it, really love it..its a wonderful bike. Thank you Adrian.

funkmasterp

Thanks for the update. I love the fact it looks like a hardtail. Glad you’re enjoying it.

andytheadequate
    Free Member

@dumbbot – out of interest, is that colour the teal colour off the website, or is it a custom one? I’m not sure if it’s a paler colour or if it’s just the lighting that makes it look different.

And are you enjoying the bike still? 🙂

dumbbot
    Free Member

RAL5021 apparently, it’s not custom… really glad I it picked it over the grey. Still enjoying!

dumbbot
    Free Member

trumpton
    Free Member

looks great.

tdog
    Free Member

How’s the steezy steed going Adrian?

Wookster

Gorgeous mate!

dumbbot
    Free Member

Yeah still loving it, parked it up this week and riding the hardtail as the DVO forks are off for warranty for a creaky CSU. More of a nuisance than anything and certainly known issue with single crown forks not limited to DVO(i’ve had it with Rockshox too).
    I’ve got a guided trip to Torridon at the end of August so i’m just making sure everything is going to be working super sweet, really looking forward to getting the Contour up in the those hills.

And i’ll certainly be speaking with Adrian about getting a demo on the new vertex long travel bike he’s just posted up. Would be interesting to compare it to the Contour, although im pretty sure it’s too much bike for me. Nothing i canny ride down on my wee bike, so far anyway…these little bikes go like stink downhill.

Still haven’t trieed it with a coil shock either.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BzsCsTVFkbo/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘New bike day Swarf content’ is closed to new replies.