• This topic has 129 replies, 57 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • New bike day – Sophie age 6
  • poah
    Free Member

Birthday isn’t till Friday but couldn’t resist give her the bike as it arrived from winstanley’s today.

Its an Orbea Laufey W20 H30 – got a couple of wee purple bits to put on it.

weeksy

Spectacular!!!

kingofthetoys

That looks rad!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BillOddie

That looks awesome!

Excellent Dadding!

It’s so good that kids have proper bikes (even compared to a couple of years ago) to get them started these days!

Poopscoop

Scale that up and it wouldn’t be a bad looking adult bike.

She must be chuffed!

poah
    Free Member

very happy. You can get them with a dropper and a suspension for if you pay extra. 66 head angle

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Like button? Anyone? Anyone?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Awesome. Great work.

Orbea make fantastic kids bikes.

beagle
    Free Member

Yep. Chris Porter would be pleased with that 😁

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Nice one

Mat

LLS! (Little Lady Stoked!)

thebibbles

Looks great. Happy riding!

Rich_s

Nice! How tall is she, by the way? Just wondering about options for my shortly – to – become – 6 YO.

MoreCashThanDash

Kids riding bikes just makes me smile.

endomick
    Free Member

Super cute, but that long cage rear mech might not last long 🙂.

igm

Saddle height! Think of her knees.

Apart from that – fantastic.

Wait til she a) gets her first full suss and b) starts leaving you for dead on every descent.

poah
    Free Member

but that long cage rear mech might not last long

That is a worry but for what she rides I think it will be fine. Can change it later to something shorter

@rich_s
    I’ll do some measurements tomorrow. Probably a bit cruel to wake her the now lol

didnthurt

What a beautiful bike. Have a happy birthday Sophie.

Kuco

🙂

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

Awesome! She looks well chuffed with that.

What lid is she wearing there? I need to start looking at a new one for my 6 year old.

poah
    Free Member

tippy toes when sitting on the saddle. I’ll put it up a bit once she has got used to the bigger size. Dropper would be handy.

What lid is she wearing there?

Giro Tremor – not a great fit though. The sizing is crap on it.

reeksy

Super cool.

The head angles are awesome on these kids bikes. My 7 year old’s Scott Scale 24 is slacker than my Stanton Switch9er!

matt_outandabout

Kids on bikes rock 🤙
    And that looks an ace bike. 👍

Rich_s

I’ll do some measurements tomorrow. Probably a bit cruel to wake her the now lol

Priorities! 😜
    Reason being, Imogen is already looking too big for her 20″ so I’m thinking 24″ for her 6th… I’m not sure I’m going to have much choice tbh unless I buy another, bigger 20″.

poah
    Free Member

@Rich_s

she is 3 feet 9 inches and has an inside leg of 48cm.

Rich_s

Thanks @Poah, that’s very useful. Looks like we’ll be going 24″.

Superficial
    Free Member

Looking great!

Orbea do seem to be making some great kids bikes. I was looking at the Orbea MX20 for my 5yo, but the Laufey definitely looks like an upgrade… Maybe time to splash the cash.

I think he might struggle on a bike that size but he’s outgrown his Cnoc 14 and I want to get him on a better bike for the summer. Any advice?

ChuckMorris
    Free Member

Great looking bike.

Rich_s

Tons of threads on here – just have a look.

FWIW I’d go straight from 14 to 20. He’s 5 so quite capable of (basic) gears. When Immy was 4 she got going on an Isla 14 and it lasted a month before I had to put her on a Frog 16. That lasted nearly 10 months before a 20″ and now we’re looking at a 24″ for her 6th (she is mahoosive though)

Availability is likely to be an issue so buy early. Lots of buying groups on Facebook for Frog and Isla. Lots of ideas on here too.

deltacharlie72
    Free Member

tippy toes when sitting on the saddle. I’ll put it up a bit once she has got used to the bigger size. Dropper would be handy.

I have exactly the same problem. I see my 6 year old pedalling her Frog 52 and she’s getting nowhere near good extension. Knees look very high and I’m thinking I need to raise the saddle. But then when I get her to stand over the bike, she’s up on her toes.

What lid is she wearing there?

Giro Tremor – not a great fit though. The sizing is crap on it.

Thanks. That’s a pity – it looks really nice online.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Bet she’s stoked with that. It’s a great looking bike.

lowey

Thats made my morning. First class parenting right there!

Superficial
    Free Member

@poah any chance you could weigh it? I can’t find the weight anywhere online. I’m just weighing up (ha!) the difference that an extra £120 gets over the MX20 team.

The more expensive one looks cooler, possibly thanks to the discs but I wonder if it actually ends up heavier? My 5yo has strong legs but I am keen to keep the weight down.

steamtb

Kids on decent bikes makes the world seem a much better place 🙂 nice bike, lots of fun ahead!

I was reflecting yesterday, that there isn’t much more enjoyment to be had in life than going out with my seven year old daughter on our mountain bikes. She planned the route yesterday and made sure she included sprinting, technical climbs, challenging descents and lots of jumping. Best money I’ve ever spent was on her bike!

poah
    Free Member

any chance you could weigh it? I can’t find the weight anywhere online. I’m just weighing up (ha!) the difference that an extra £120 gets over the MX20 team.

@Superficial
    reason I went with this over the team is the disc brakes and the geo.

I paid £479 from winstanleys

stock the bike with the pedals it comes with is 9.665KG or 21.3 lbs

Going to try and make it tubeless once the valves come.

Superficial
    Free Member

You’re a star, thanks! 9.66kg certainly seems ballpark right for that price – only the early riders (£££) seem substantially lighter at ~8.7kg. At any rate it seems like the discs don’t add too much of a weight penalty and obviously look cool (even if they’re probably not necessary in terms of stopping power).

9.66kg is half his weight though! Like me riding a 40kg monster!

poah
    Free Member

Doesn’t really affect the kids that much TBH

Superficial
    Free Member

Ordered one in the black rainbow colour. Can’t wait to see the boy’s face when I surprise him. Still nervous that it’ll be a bit big/heavy for him at the moment but he’ll grow.

poah
    Free Member

@superficial mine took a week to come from winstanleys. Came by DPD.

andybrad

impressive

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.