Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • New bike day – shrunken edition
  • matt_outandabout

Having just bought middle_oab a new bike, I had been searching Pinkbike. This popped up locally, and with mrs_oab being a lofty 5′, it was rude not too…

Yes it needs some furtling of spacers/brake angle/cables/tyres, yes the wall/gravel, yes a dropper needs to be in the Christmas stocking, but look, its the smallest FS ever.

Bring it.

weeksy

LOL twins !

[url=https://flic.kr/p/284EXnE]2018-09-06_03-51-08[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

We both have spacer issues….

thegeneralist
    Free Member

And have each other’s rear triangles…

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can see the sense in keeping some ugly spacers so the fork is usable on a bigger bike in the future if necessary, I guess those head tubes are pretty short.

My 4’11” other half has problems finding bikes small enough so I’d be interested to know whether mrs_oab has plenty of room (it looks like loads of standover but once you are in front of the saddle the top tube rises steeply) and if so exactly what model/size that is if it isn’t too much trouble. Thanks

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab has lots of room – she was impressed that the saddle had to be raised…

The seatpost has little room for adjustment – kink in seat tube gets in the way. I plan on cutting down seatpost and a dropper for Christmas…

It’s an XS/13″ Liv Lust 2016(maybe 2015).

It’s a tad shorter than her Trek Superfly XS/13.5″, similar standover.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks Matt

weeksy

When i bought ours, the stem was at the top, spacers below. Due to my lad being small i stuck the stem at the bottom and shortened it to 50mm. Thought it would make it easier for him. But left in the growing room by leaving the steerer length.

I’ve had to utilise a spare 30.9 post so i can hang it up on the rafters, i noticed the kink in the tube too. The good news is, my dropper can be swapped in seconds as it’s Ant+ not cabled and is also a 30.9, so when he grows etc we can still do the dropper thing.

ads678

I got this a few weeks ago for my 10 year old. Swapped the stem for a 35mm one, chopped down a seat post and got some 152mm cranks to make it fit better. Also fitted some new brakes and 1×10’d it and its sweet. He was riding it a couple of weeks ago in the alps. Cracking little bike.

matt_outandabout

It looks like teeny Giant’s are thing…

firestarter
    Free Member

Ads what/where little cranks did you get and are they 104bcd out of interest ta

matt_outandabout

+1

Ours has shorter (170?) already.

ads678

I got these suntour XCT.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SR-SUNTOUR-T-202-Chainsets-Mountain/dp/B0029MP3AO I got them even cheaper form bikester but they are out of stock now.

They need a square taper BB but the chain rings are removable and are 104bcd so you can fit a NW easily. I’ve used them on two kids bikes now and they work great.

kayla1
    Free Member

Phwoar! Looks like fun. Stick a 2° slackset in that and some +20mm forks and it’d be a proper hoot 😀

ads678

Can you get a slackset to fit a 1 1/8th headtube?

kayla1
    Free Member

No idea but possibly-

https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/slackerizer-angle-headset.htm

If your headtube’s 44mm one of those might work.

matt_outandabout

Stick a 2° slackset in that

Our is the (odd sized?) Overdrive 2 headset… I am still working out what the hell that standard is….

kayla1
    Free Member

Looks like you might be able to get ‘normal’ size forks and headsets for it-

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Giant-OverDrive-2-Steerer-tube-sizing-2011.html

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I am still working out what the hell that standard is….

1.1/4″ upper headtube (still tapers to 1.5″ at the bottom).

Headtube is just the same tapered one though, they just used a different bearing.

matt_outandabout

Ok, so a ‘normal’ tapered 1.5″ to 1 1/8″ fork and headset would fit this frame in future?

firestarter
    Free Member

Thanks ads I’d missed your reply

matt_outandabout

Question – to shorten hoses, I do just need new insert and olive?

Also, anyone got an ”terminator” square style Shimano brake lever, left hand they want to sell/donate?

matt_outandabout

Edit – brake lever in XT/Saint/Zee/XTR flavour with adjustable reach…

weeksy
    matt_outandabout

I have all bleed stuff – just need insert and olive per cable I think?

weeksy

yes then 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘New bike day – shrunken edition’ is closed to new replies.