• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks ago by BigR.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • New 2024 Cotic Solaris
  • didnthurt

After reading the thread on the greatest 26″ hardtail thread, it got me remembering how much I loved my Gen 2 Cotic Soul, it was my only bike when the kids were wee.

So, I went to see what Cotic are offering as their modern equivalent to the Soul and see that they have released a new Solaris for 2024, and it looks very nice.

My current Cannondale Scalpel SE needs a bearing change, which I could use as an excuse to buy a Solaris frameset and use the Scalpel as the donor bike. It currently has a Fox 34 120mm fork, GX gears and Hope/DTSwis wheelset, should make for a decent lightweight build.

Anyone got one? Care to share your experience so far?

didnthurt

Love the new colours, the Ember matches my old orange Soul. And the Forest matches my current love for blue/green bikes. Not so keen on the mat finish though as they are harder to clean IME.

slackboy

Saw one in real life today, and the orange looks great. Very capable bikes and designed around a 100-120mm fork rather than 120-140 like the previous Solarismax.

P20

The first Cotic in awhile that I’ve liked the look of. In my mind the 29er version of the Soul

ratadog

Anyone got one? Care to share your experience so far?

I went for the green and so far the consensus of family, friends and passing dog walkers is that it looks good. As it is my first bike since everything went boost/axles/tapered I went with the rolling chassis and opted for Hunt wheels and the Revelation fork with damper upgrade to which I added SLX drivetrain and finishing kit plucked from what I had. It hasn’t been any drier round here than it has in the rest of the UK so so far been doing some short rides, mainly gravel, while still in faff mode. Running a suspension seatpost rather than a dropper and still sorting out a handlebar I feel comfortable with. I tend to run backswept handlebars for comfort and with the short stem I think I can do with something a bit wider than I currently have.

Build was relatively straight forward. Some of the multiple bolt holes on the down tube had overpaint in the first couple of turns and needed clearing with a tap but other than that no issues.

Can’t compare with the Soul as this is my first Cotic but initial thoughts are that it is comfortable, climbs really well, feels manouevrable although the long frame/short stem and relaxed head angle make for a long wheelbase compared to other 29ers I have had and ridden. I have bought it to use as my MTBO bike and I think it will be good for the role but first impressions are that it is an all rounder which will be equally happy doing long days out as doing short blasts on something a bit steeper.  No regrets about the purchase.

didnthurt

I’ve arranged with Cotic to get a shot of the new Solaris in June at Glentress. I’m looking forward to it, I just hope they still have 1 in stock by then if I decide I want one. 🤞

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I’ve been tempted to buy frame and forks as I have everything else to build a bike. I still own the original Solaris and I’ve previously owned the LS SolarisMax too.

I’m torn on sizing really. I felt the large ‘Max was too stretched out with a low stack even with a 140 fork. It also lacked that spritely, zippy feel of the original. Yes the ‘max was more burly then the original but I didnt quite gel with it and possible the LS geo.

The C4 looks to be the same geo as the previous L ‘Max. So is the C3 the frame size to go for or will it feel too small?

I should drop Cotic an email really and try and get down to the showroom.

FOG

I am another SolMax owner who was expecting a modern Soul … but didn’t get it! I like the Max but it’s not really the bike for what I seem to be riding these days. If it hadn’t been for the price I think I would have gone for the new Solaris. Perhaps if I can get a good enough price for my frame I will make the jump.

jfab

I was tempted until I saw the colour options, I like that it’s a bit different but I’m a sucker for nice metallic finishes on a steel hardtail! My old metallic silver/chrome SolarisMAX looked the absolute business.

I’ve got a real hankering for a steel XC hardtail still, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for any change of colour options down the line as it ticks a lot of boxes and I love a Cotic (I have a few…). For now I’ll just run shorter travel on my BFeMAX 🙂

didnthurt

I asked Cotic about what the differences are between the SolarisMAX and the new Solaris and this is what they said:

It is a very similar frame, the new Solaris has a slightly lighter downtube so is maximum 130mm fork travel.

It also moves to our new ‘C-sizing’, with C1 being the smallest and C5
    being the biggest size. The BB is slightly lower and the seat angle a little steeper.

Otherwise it is pretty much the same frame, with the same intended use,
    a tough and light XC/trail bike with excellent feel from the Reynolds 853 tubing.

Screenshot_20240313-230434

I’m 5’11” so according to their sizing chart I’m a C3. That’s the size I’ve arranged to ride.

mattrockwell
    Free Member

I am a little Solaris curious myself, but between the price and the paint jobs I’m not massively sold on, I do wonder if the Pace RC429 might be a better option. Ignoring the ‘can build it into a gravel bike’ thing, the Pace looks pretty similar in concept, in colours I personally prefer, at 3/4 of the price. I realise two frames that appear similar on paper might be very different rides, but still…

matt_outandabout

Pics please people.

#StandardsAreSlipping

nixie

I’d quite like one but I want to know how much heavier it’ll be than my Tarn ti.

benfromdevon
    Free Member

Got a new Solaris few weeks back ( on order since August)  in the orange C5 with XT build –  love it –  really nice  –  feels smaller than it is –  climbs great and frame feels lively –  replacement for a trusty old P7

doringahn
    Free Member

I’d love to know if anyone else is torn between deciding what size to go for between C4 and C5.

I’m 187cm/6 ft 1 with a slightly longer armspam and faced with the additional dilemma of not being able to do a test ride as I’m based in South Africa and looking to ship a frameset down here.

I’m still riding my MK1 Solaris large with a 60mm stem – I do sometimes feel slightly cramped but by no means uncomfortable. I just have no idea how the longshot geometry has potentially changed the sizing since the first inception of the Solaris.

I figured the C5 and then just run the shortest stem I can?

I would’ve pulled the trigger much earlier had I not been agonizing over this choice so much!

BigR

Hi , 188cm and just taken delivery of a C4 after advice from Cotic. Mainly bought for longer trips but first outing was GT red and sizing felt good to me. Already has a really short 35mm stem so reducing this wouldn’t be easy if you went for a C5. Not sure what stand-over would be like if you sized up.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.