• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by goby.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • MSC Gripper tyres – Magic Mary/DHR2 alternative
  • snotrag

Lots of tyre talk on here as ever – I’ve been after some tyres for a bit and we all know that stock and prices is a nightmare. I took a gamble on these recently having seen them on instagram, a few pro bike checks etc. I’ve done a few rides, I thought it worth a share. Theres a few review out there including MBR who seemed to really rate them but I’ve never seen them in the wild. I’m really impressed so far!

I went with 29×2.3 Grippers in the Pro-Sheild/ Trail type weighting. The sizing is a little misleading – the 2.3 is an equivalent to a 2.4/2.5 Maxxis or Schwalbe. They are noticeably larger than a 2.3 Maxxis DHR. Weight below, just as advertised.

The Gripper is an alternate to a DHR, or Magic Mary, possibly an Assegai too. I’m really impressed so far – they roll far, far better than expected, are gripping very well with no weird characteristics (DHF i’m looking at you) and crucially they seem to slide and break away in a really nice manner – I’ve never done so many 2 wheel controlled drifts.

They do a variety of sidewall and compound options as you would expect, I’m not a tyre shredder and run EXO case Maxxis, these feel a little sturdier in their ‘pro-shield’.

And the best bit – they are about £70 a pair. I bought them from Bike-inn and came in a few days.

I’ve typically always favoured Maxxxis, but been very pleased I deviated so far. Much like the Twenty21 kit mentioned recently, its good to know that there ARE other options out there that perform like the well known stuff.

I’ve no backhanders, no vested interest, its just a heads up (and don’t be fooled by the sizing, they explain this quite well on their website), but I thought it worth a share for those who have been frustrated with price/availablility of lots of the favoured options.

I am very likely to try some of their other tyres on other bikes now based on these.

https://msctires.com.au/collections/enduro/products/gripper-29-x-2-30-tubeless-ready-2c-am-pro?variant=7119297642541

I reckon thats 990g plus packaging (free mudguard!) and a ziptie

lightfighter762
    Free Member

Gripper combo is excellent. I run supershield front and rear. Excellent speed and grip. Going into winter usually throw a hot seat on the front.

craig24
    Free Member

Perfect timing, looking for a DHR2 but no stock, would these be a good alternative to DHF & DHR combo? Any idea on which casing is similar to Double Down?

snotrag

Thats exactly what I’ve just replaced @craig24

I think Prosheild (what I’ve bought) is somewhere between Exo and Exo+, and Superhseild is DoubleDown in Maxxis equivalents, certainyly the weights match up very closely when comparing with 2.4 Wide Trail DHR2’s.

There are also different compounds, in the same vein as Maxxis MaxxTerra, MaxxGrip, MaxxSpeed etc…

craig24
    Free Member

Thanks @snotrag , unfortunately doesn’t look like they have any 29er Gripper in Supersheild otherwise I’d of given that a go.

I’ll keep an eye out for them in future though.

goby

That’s exactly the combo I’m running!
    Gripper rear and Hotseat front sometimes a magic Mary.
    Speak to Keith & Terraventure he sort you out!

https://terraventure.co.uk/collections/msc-tires

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘MSC Gripper tyres – Magic Mary/DHR2 alternative’ is closed to new replies.