Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Mountain biking in Assynt
  • jcromton
    Free Member

Hi all,

Presently I’m staying near Lochinver and I would like to do some mountain biking. Looking at the map, I have spied two vague route choices and I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the area could either veto or approve of my ideas.

1 – Starting from South of Foihaven there is a track heading due East from Loch Stack and returning via Glen Golly and Bealach Horn.

2 – A circular route taking in the Eas a Chual Aluinn, which basically circumnavigates Glas Bheinn.

The conditions are’t looking great for standing on high things (though Stac Pollaidh today was great) so a bike ride is looking best for the next few days. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, new route ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Chris

p.s. Happy New Year, all!

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve walked the path to the top of the falls. It was boggy and rough and I can’t imagine it would be much fine taking a bike. Do explore and let us know though.

You might want to have a look at this…
    http://www.offroadadventures-online.com/arkle.htm

Another option would be Kylesku to Achfary, then return by heading West along Strath Stack and then South.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Chris, do a web search for Arkle Loop, tho you’d be a braver man than me to try it this time of year. [Beat me to it Druid].

Lots of nice wild stuff around you. Try the trails into Suilven, or over to Achmelvich. The Coulag forest paths in Lochinver have some nice riding and if you want to ride prepared trails a journey down Loch Shin will take you to the Balblair trails, just outside Bonar Bridge.

Spin
    Free Member

The riding up that way isn’t as good as you’d think it might be. Lots of tracks that take you out into the middle of nowhere and then end.

jcromton
    Free Member

Thanks very much for the info, guys. The Arkle loop is winning so far but Drudh, what is the loop that you suggested like?

bigjim

Just to contradict druid I walked up past the falls to Fionn loch and thought it looks like a good ride, that was in summer though and I can imagine it would be a bit moist now.

The other paths I know of are one that you can access just south of Ledmore junction that goes quite a long way, but you would need to do some googling and I’m off to the pub. I think it goes past Cam Loch for many miles but no idea how rideable it is, it might go to the falls actually.

There is one around Loch na Gaimnhich on the A894 past the falls which might be an OK pootle, and there is what I recall as a nice path up behind the Inchnadamph Hotel, and there is the path to the Bone Caves. I’ve no idea what these are like in winter and you may die horribly – beware of big holes in the ground up behind the Inchnadamph hotel, some of these have been hollowed out by cavers so they are quite deep!

The biggest problem you have is the Lochinver larder is shut so you can’t gorge on amazing pies, however the scenery should make up for that!

juggins

Have done the arkle loop in poor conditions and it was EPIC would not go near it again unless there is a drought. Large section of it are unridable in the wet and some of the land rover tracks are ridiculously steep. Just when it is all starting to hurt a large section of walking/carrying across pathless and featureless country finished me off. A mechanical in that part of the world this time of year is not worth thing about.

Wherever you get to have fun and let us know where you get to

Have a great new year

jcromton
    Free Member

Hi guys,

Fear not, we got pies before it closed for holiday and it was very worth it.

Did a wee ride today from Lochinver just around the coast to the North and back and then the 6km loop that descends next to the river.

Tomorrow my mates are going to do Foinhaven but I’m very keen to do more biking and the Arkle loop is the obvious choice. The weather is looking OKish tomorrow but obviously would be super wet – Juggins, is it worth it?!

Cheers,

Chris

jcromton
    Free Member

double post

druidh
    Free Member

Just do do Foinaven. It’s a lovely hill with some mild scrambling and one of the best views anywhere.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Arkle loop is indeed a toughie, but there are some lovely downhill bits and not too much pushing. Start off early and you will be fine. The loop from Inchnadamph Hotel is altogether a different matter. We did it in fantastic weather a couple of years ago, and while some very small sections of it are OK, the rest is a horrendous hike a bike for miles, where even the downhills have to be pushed. Paths are totally degraded, and at this time of year, I would avoid it like the plague. Far better to walk up Ben Mor Assynt for the day.
    If you are desparate for a run, try Sandwood bay. Bit of a push in the middle, but great surroundings.
    Fancy a lazy day, ride round the machair at Durness out to Faraid head – some great drop ins and mini jumps all over the place, plus the cafe is open in the “craft village” at the top.
    There is probably a few runs over the machair out at Stoer point as well, and the run from lochinver is quite nice on the bike as well.

jcromton
    Free Member

The weather was so uninspiring we didn’t even make it up Foinhaven. Just did Ben Stack then cruised on over to Sandwood Bay.

Thank you all very much for the advice though, I will keep it for my next trip up there, at least I’m relatively close 4.5 hours away in Oban! Really want to try that Arkle loop.

Chris

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Mountain biking in Assynt’ is closed to new replies.