Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • More nice trails ruined in Kentmere valley
  • lecky94
    Free Member

Just been down the 3 rivers dh  in kentmere tonight to find its been opened up into a 2 metre wide packed down track..where are they going to stop ruining nice bridleway, that route is so popular with local kids learning to ride and building confidence to go on to harder terrain.

lesgrandepotato

The whole thing?

lecky94
    Free Member

Looks like there definitely going up to the first river by the old barn, not sure if they will go further,  I hope not.

bigfoot
    Free Member

wouldn’t like to be someone walking or riding up it now, that bottom section was fast enough as it was.

Esme
    Free Member

Same trail as discussed in this thread I think.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No Esme, 3 rivers is a lovely wee descent off stavely head fell,  nothing super long or techy, just a nice bit of trail.

postierich
    Free Member

Seen the pics not happy 🙁

breadcrumb

No money to fix potholes on public roads but plenty to smooth out bridleways.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The one last week wasn’t really a loss, it was basically an un-metalled road anyway but 3 rivers is a lovely wee bit of trail, it isn’t busy, and it doesn’t really go anywhere. Quite an odd one to give the armour treatment to.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LDMBA/permalink/964053987100167/

Awful lot of “activities” in The Lakes recently 🙁

Cheers!

I.

alexpalacefan

🙁

That was one of my favourites. Who are these people?

APF

martinhutch

What a mess. Can’t see any way in which this can be justified, unlike the Kentmere Hall track repairs by the farmer.

Rich needs to organise a mass ‘skidz for kidz’ session down that during his weekend do, before it has a chance to settle. Get some ruts in, let mother nature do the rest this winter…

lowey

Just another reason to cheeky and high.

augustuswindsock

Rode Sticks Pass off Helvellyn few weeks ago and that looks to be going the same way, as is devil’s staircase down to Kinlochleven😔

martinhutch

True. Or cheeky and low, frankly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Do we need another reason Dave? 🙂

richardkennerley

That’s a real shame,  always finished a ride round there with a decent down 3 Rivers.

Seems an odd trail to repair,  I can’t believe it gets much footfall compared to other tourist hotspots?

Is it just an attempt to discourage mountain biking down there?

fergal
    Free Member

There is a whole industry behind this wave of sanitisation, do the landowners get grants for this? who is paying the path builders? the guys invoved in this industry are always moving on to the next job, look at what has happened to the trails in somewhere like the Cairngorms which is supposed to be a NP, totaly over engineered armoured highways everywhere,  totaly unsympathetic to the natural landscape.

This industry needs to be held to account. for what they are doing to wild places, Not just seen as a means of generating work in the short term for these guys.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Seems an odd trail to repair, I can’t believe it gets much footfall compared to other tourist hotspots?

Is it just an attempt to discourage mountain biking down there?

Absolutely this.

I’m not one for a conspiracy, I tend to think we give business/governments too much credit with that type of thing, but tbh it looks as if there are certain trails being targetted in the national park. As you rightly say, this really is an odd one, I’ve never seen a walker on it, and have rode it loads of times. Whenever I’m in the area I’ll include it on the ride as it’s a real nice trail for not much effort to get to.

I can see the thinking behind the likes of Helvellyn etc, so bloody busy, but this is in no way anywhere near in the same category….

fergal
    Free Member

I honestly just think it is just job creation, it is happening everywhere.

lecky94
    Free Member

I think its the national park who is doing it, apparently repairing the damage from storm Desmond. Don’t think that bottom half of that track has changed much in 25 years of riding it, why now?

chrisdavids

Really sad, this made an excellent climb as well as a descent which I always tried to include on rides in the valley.

Storm Desmond had minimal impact on this BW. Lower down it was a loose, rubble gully before as it was afterwards. It seems the NP has had an influx of cash to fix SD issues but it is using this for a wider agenda in the lakes. There are still a number of FPs with significant issues following SD which are still awaiting genuine work.

it is increasingly frustrating to see one trail after another being ‘improved’.

molgrips
    Free Member

Doesn’t look like that surface will last long!

bungalistic
    Free Member

Sad to see this as it’s one of my favourite bits of tracks in that area, wonder what Wheelbase will make (or have made) of this as they use this as part of their loops during the Big Demo Weekend.

They have also started to make “improvements” on Maiden Moor too, granted it’s a footpath but still seems out of place and doesn’t fit with the natural area around it.

Metasequoia

Trouble is that this sort of surface just erodes out in one winter and it’s worse than before. Quite often from a surface that might been uneven, but stable.  More badly engineered repairs…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Where is this particular trail pretty please? Streetmap link!

Gary_C

Hope that ‘they’ leave HP plantation alone…

thecaptain
    Free Member

Thanks for the link – I’ve only done a couple of rides round that area and missed out that bit.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Is that not the highest time to start bombarding NP with complaints about such “marvalous improvements”? Maybe they will start taking notice? Involve local press or maybe MP?

Cheers!

I.

samcamsdad

I wonder if a call to Tim Farron would be in order? He knows the area well, and might be able to help shed some light as to why bridleways in the lakes are receiving such treatment.

It wouldn’t surprise me if HP was next, as that has recently taken a real beating from the weather. If HP doesn’t get treatment I suspect that something fishy has gone on regarding the resurfacing of 3 rivers!

snowpaul
    Free Member

Makes me so angry. Trail work here was unneccessary. Anyone seen how bad Stake pass switchbacks are into Langstrath. Huge work done a few years ago n very rubbish to ride by bike or horse…5

snowpaul
    Free Member

Makes me so angry. Trail work here was unneccessary. Anyone seen how bad Stake pass switchbacks are into Langstrath. Huge work done a few years ago n very rubbish to ride by bike or horse…

postierich
    Free Member

I collect  mail from LDNPA and I had a chat with a person there and they have had no complaints about the work fix the fells do, and they would really like some feedback on their work  they will get back to you apparently !! So Singletrackworld work your magic

email hq@lakedistrict.gov.uk

[url=https://flic.kr/p/28PZj7F]39568563_10156753714746474_5417478001199677440_o[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

Rich

lecky94
    Free Member

Nice one rich, just emailed them with my opinion on it all.

martinhutch

Is it FtF though? There was suggestion on the Facebook link that it was possibly separate LDNP works.

It also doesn’t have a collection of odd-shaped quarried rocks arranged in annoying steps and random wheeltrapping water bars, so I don’t see how it could be FtF.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

I can understand doing this to sections of trails which turn into a bog fest, but rocky trails which have nothing wrong with them such as 3 rivers makes no sense to me

It doesn’t even benefit Walkers – They are capable of getting over far more technical terrain than us – So don’t know why a Walker would want this ?

To me I find walking boring unless the terrain is extremely severe

dannyh
    Free Member

Screw ‘em. If you know of a good trail ride it, whatever. Someone will either be along to sanitise it, buy it and fence it off or flog it for houses.

There won’t be a wild space left on these islands in fifty years, everything will be fenced off or tarmacced over.

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

The fences really annoy me, when you have to lift a bike over a fence to ride a section of trail it really does spoil things, a lot. If a good section of trail gets a fence put through it, that alone puts me off riding it.

I have an unwritten rule I set myself when I plan a route: 3 Gates/Styles to lift the bike over is the MAX on any ride in a day.

This was most apparent on my last ride, I had already reached my maximum of 3 and was getting near the end, the shortest route back involved 2 styles, but I choose the longer route with more climbing (even tho I didn’t feel like it) because I’d already done my 3 maximum carries…

Would anyone say the number of decent trails is on the rise or the decline these days ??

Are Mountain Bike routes in decline ? Are the top routes getting worse ? There seems to be more sanitisation than ever before, and the number of Gates and Styles being implemented into Trails which used to flow well throughout, has been on the up, during the 4 years I’ve been doing it.

Thank God we’ve got trail centres to fall back on, but really don’t like restricting myself to just these. There are so many good rides that aren’t at Trail Centres and they don’t all involve as much Driving to get there.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘More nice trails ruined in Kentmere valley’ is closed to new replies.