Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Microshift road shifter dropping too many gears? Help.
  • ads678

My son’s road bike has Microshift gears, but it’s just started dropping about 4 gears on the cassette with a single push of the trigger.

I’ve had the shifter apart and when the cable is out it seems to shift ok, I put it back together  and set up the gears again with as little tension as I could and it shifts to the bigger cogs fine but push the trigger to go down the cogs and it jumps about 4 with each push.

It just seems like there’s far too much tension in the cable but I can’t set it up with any less.

Any ideas????

ads678

Just thinking about it, could it be the rear mech that is pulling down too hard and causing it to shift too many gears?….

ads678

Still haven’t sorted this out any ideas anyone??

Any thoughts much appreciated.

wzzzz
    Free Member

Usually a long blast of WD40 in every crevice, working the shifter as you do it brings them back.

There will be some crud in there / unlubricated pivot or something

If that don’t work it will likely be worn out and replacement time.

Follow the WD40 up with some 3 in 1 spray oil or something that will hang around longer than a couple of days.

ads678

Nice one thanks, I’ll give that a go. I did take the shifter apart as much as I dare but i’ll have it off again and squirt everything thoroughly!

wzzzz
    Free Member

yeah you need to wash out all the ratchety gubbins, blast the wd40 with the tube attached from as many angles as poss whilst working the shifter.

Gilles

funny i had a similar issue with my bike last week end – not same setup (SLX rear mech) but the issue was routing and attaching the cable end to the rear mech the wrong way!

ads678

Cheers Gilles, I’ll check that out as well then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Microshift road shifter dropping too many gears? Help.’ is closed to new replies.