Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Met cracking down on Moped crime
  • Joe

Smashing little video that the met have released showing them just knocking criminals off mopeds in London! Some real big wallops in here. Good riddance.

“This year police drivers have knocked suspects off their mopeds or scooters 63 times, including sthose who have taken off their helmets.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=1owgBHpNhPE

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Is this going to create a new Reddit category, MET or GTA?

It must be satisfying as hell to be paid to send people flying down the road grand theft auto style.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“Yeah, blud, if we take off our helmets the police will leave us alone……Oh. ****!”

Noice.

Houns

Was just about to post a thread on this.

i don’t know how I feel about it. I’m a supporter of the Police and hate the scrotes that use bikes for crime, however, if a scrote gets killed or seriously injured then the copper who was driving is going to be put through the mill, investigation after investigation, suing, compensation etc etc. There’s no easy answer to it, yes we need to be stricter on crime. Perhaps I’m just thinking the worst and worrying about the impact it could have on the Police driver or innocent Jo Public who runs over a scrote that’s been knocked off into the path of their car

daern
    Free Member

There’s a good argument to say that if they are already being chased and are not stopping then it is in the public’s interest to stop them as quickly as possible, regardless of the risk to their lives. But yes, I can see some ‘orrible scrote with a snappily-dressed lawyer going after them for this in court.

Still, if they think they have the right protections in place, I think I can live with them doing this. Certainly, it makes for some properly satisfying video footage…

theotherjonv

As a victim of moped crime, having had a phone taken out of my hand in Holborn one evening, can i say I am appalled by the approach being taken.

Not once did they reverse back and then drive over their ankles to really teach them a lesson

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Not long ago I got caught up in a chase between two scrotes on a moped and a police car, the moped trying to overtake me on a busy stretch of road to evade the police. Common sense prevailed and I pulled over and let them get on with it.

About 200m down the road the car in front of me slammed on his brakes and the scrotes went straight through his back window. Gave the driver a thumbs up as I went past.

rene59
    Free Member

i don’t know how I feel about it. I’m a supporter of the Police and hate the scrotes that use bikes for crime, however, if a scrote gets killed or seriously injured then the copper who was driving is going to be put through the mill, investigation after investigation, suing, compensation etc etc.

I don’t like the police much and I don’t like scrotes either so it’s a win win for me,

theotherjonv

in seriousness having read the article now and a bit more, the original MO was nabbing phones out of hands as they rode past but in recent times it has turned more to mugging with threats / violence (knives, etc.) with mopeds then being used as the getaway.

While being robbed on the street is not nice however you look at it, if they have no concern for threatening and potentially injuring their victims rather than ‘just’ removing their property, I start to lose concern for their wellbeing.

Simple solutions:

1/ don’t rob in the first place

2/ if caught in the act and ‘pulled over’ by the police then pull over; you’ve been caught, face the punishment

If you still then think the solution is to try to escape, be ready for what follows.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I support the Police in this instance, better they knock the thieves off the (stolen) mopeds than create havoc in the surrounding area.

And it sends a message out to the thieves that thinking they’ll get away with the crime is the the wrong assumption.

👨‍✈️🦹‍♂️👩‍✈️🚓🛵🚓

benp1

living and working in London I have to say that I’m 100% for this

robvalentine

Sorry but if they remove their own helmet and try and escape the police, then they should automatically waive all compensation rights, and deserve what they get.

funkmasterp

They should give the police powerful motorbikes and big chains, then film it.

wwaswas

Nudge Dread

(Carlton Reid)

v8ninety

Are the Met recruiting currently?  I’m very tempted

neilwheel
    Free Member

All for it myself, they can have bonnet mounted tasers too, make sure the scrotes can’t run away!

brakes
    Free Member

I got a letter recently asking for volunteers to catch speeding motorists. I hope they ask for volunteers for this too. I don’t own a car, but I would buy one if I could do this. And a large bonnet mounted spike.

duckman

I like the cut of your jib brakes.

martinhutch

Just another day in Mega City One.

seosamh77
    Free Member

I think the observation we can take from this thread is that the general public is quite bloodthirsty.

matt_outandabout

I support the Police in this instance, better they knock the thieves off the (stolen) mopeds than create havoc in the surrounding area.

And it sends a message out to the thieves that thinking they’ll get away with the crime is the the wrong assumption

This.

I expect there are some pretty tough ‘rules of engagement’ to help both restrain andrenalin fueled officers and prevent counter suing.

finephilly
    Free Member

It sounds very effective but Im not convinced its the best long term solution. How about paying a decent wage to young people so they don’t go out robbing? What if they get the wrong guy and accidentally run him over?

stupot
    Free Member

Is that game called road rash?

I wasted hours on that!

raybanwomble
    Free Member

On a serious note,in a civilised world finephilly would probably have a point….then again.

mattyfez

What if they get the wrong guy and accidentally run him over?

Reading an article on the subject, it’s used to end dangerous high speed chases

Im not convinced its the best long term solution.

Hopefully it won’t need to be long term, this type of crime has become so prevelent because they think they can get away with it.

The tactics have helped reduce moped crime in London by 44%, according to the Met Police figures.

funkmasterp

Is that game called road rash?

I wasted hours on that!

Yes and me too

The police should dress as rockers #quadraphinia

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCpa_CiWs

Cant beat a bit of Mad Max style policing 😂

footflaps

I’m a bit disappointed they don’t just run them over having knocked them off…

ajaj
    Free Member

I suspect that the reason the Met is releasing this now is because Tommy Winsor is investigating this with a view to shafting the officers involved and they want to drum up public support.

And I fully support the Met here. I can’t find a reference at the moment but there was a court case where the police were liable for third-party injuries caused by people they were chasing so it’s a bold decision taken to protect the public despite being hamstrung by Theresa May and some parts of the judiciary.

Having encountered these people, the chances of mistaking a law abiding motorist for one of the balaclava wearing, iron bar wielding, footpath riding, speeding motorbikes with no number plates is fairly low. Seems to me if you stop when asked you won’t have any problems.

zippykona

I’m surprised how well these scum bags bounce.

Knock em off at will.

wrightyson
    Free Member

After I’d knocked them off I’d accidentally miss the brake pedal. Wastes of oxygen!

nealglover
    Free Member

How about paying a decent wage to young people so they don’t go out robbing?

Haha. Get real 😂

I am all for paying decent wages to anyone that is willing to work, But most of the kids round my way doing this aren’t even old enough to work!

what planet do you live on.

binners

Don’t the stats show that since they started doing this, there’s been an enormous reduction in scrotes on mopeds robbing people?

Job jobbed then.

Northwind

Only thing that worries me about this is how it could grow… Like, in the case of violent crime, I don’t mind the idea of a little harm occurring but how about nonviolent crime? Like, shoplifting with a scooter getaway, or joyriding… Or just plain failing to stop.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Nah **** em! Why do 99 percent of those who fail to stop, fail to stop? Because they’re up to no good. Bonnet the lot of them!

v8ninety

Great example of a risk assessment done right. Well done Met, more power to your elbow.

How about paying a decent wage to young people so they don’t go out robbing?

Agreed, but it’s not an either/or situation. These individuals have crossed a rather thick line and are no longer worthy of assistance by society, having decided to viciously prey upon innocent people whilst (attempting to) cynically exploit our society’s decent, liberal human rights record.

binners

I grew up with some mates who were proper wrong’uns. Up to all kinds of shit. In the days before mobile phones filming everything, they knew that an occupational hazard of this was getting a proper shoeing in the back of a police van.

It seems the Met are just going a bit retro 80’s

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There’s a bike path through Niddrie in Edinburgh. It’s where lots of stolen motorcycles get taken and ragged about.

Fairly often there are wee shrines/bunches of flowers where they’ve crashed the bikes and killed themselves.

I’m not really sure how to feel about it….

CountZero

I think the observation we can take from this thread is that the general public is quite bloodthirsty.

Old Testament justice – get medieval on their asses. Think of it as evolution in action.

wrightyson
    Free Member

*true story*

One of my best mates from school started to go wayward once we were 17, got his licence etc, he would drive us to nights out etc. On reaching 18/19 some of us went off to uni, he decided to stay home and Rob car stereos. It ended one night with him being bonneted by the police in a well to do village.

He got a big payout but couldn’t spend it as he was at his majestys.

It’s not a new tactic.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Met cracking down on Moped crime’ is closed to new replies.