• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jwt.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Merkur Vs Feathers – anyone tried both?
  • jwt
    Free Member

I realise this has been done to extinction, but has anyone used both types of razor blade and can tell me what differences they found? Currently using Merkur but a quick google suggests they may be expansive compared to other brands and TBH I fancy a change.
    Cheers.

Stoner
    Free Member

Tried both. I shave only once a week, and have a pretty fierce beard so I can’t just put up with scraping off a shadow every morning with blunt steel.

Merkurs were bloody awful. Blunt, stiff. Did not like.

Started on feathers, liked them, tried Merkurs, Derbys, Wilkos, no-name Israeli blades, but returned to Feathers. Have stayed with them since.

Sharp and light. Sometimes one edge might be a bit better than the other, I just flip the razor. Life’s too short, and blades too cheap to shave with anything but the sharpest.

DrP

Ok..so I’m nearly there:
    Octavia
    Log burner
    and now the DE razor you all suggested (23c something or other..) and a pack of 100 blades for a tenner (astra blades)

The blades are numbered 1-4..

How should i use them? will flipping a blade make it sharp again? I really only get 2-3 shaves out of a blade.

I WILL google this, but thought I’d ask here too!

DrP

big_scot_nanny

DrP – just use them twice and chuck-em! You can get a ‘shed-load’ of razors for the square root of FA off of that there ebay.

Not sure on the issue with using them – put them in the razor and shave? (i’m a natural teacher, eh?)

As for merkurs V feathers – my experience:
    1) Merkurs – terribly, scrapy, not-close shave
    2) Wilkinson sword – much better
    3) Feathers – amazing! just glides thorugh thickest stubble, but requires attention to avoid nicks

DrP

That’s what I thought.. at 10p per blade, I can be frivilant…

I just wasn’t sure why the blade sides were numbered?
    DrP

chewkw
    Free Member

As above Merkur – not good.

Russian, Israeli & Feather blades – good.

peterfile
    Free Member

As above, I’ve yet to find anything better than feathers.

big_scot_nanny
    jwt
    Free Member

Thanks all, Feathers it is then.

sv

I find feathers too sharp sometimes, best razor for me are the Astra Greens. Tried many others but keep coming back to these, cheaper than feathers too.

bigblackshed

Merkurs are horrible. Feathers by a country mile. Astra greens are good too, a step down from Feathers, less aggressive. My son uses Astras, he’s not quite ready for the sharpness of the Feather.

1-4 on the blade is for QA control in the factory. Nowt to do with “flipping blades”.

Clobber
    Free Member

Merkurs are dreadful

Feathers for special occasions, Astra for regular.

Astra last longer but not as sharp and vice versa.

Astra very cheap!

sv

The numbers are good for reminding you need to change the blade. I put it in showing 1-2 for first shave then next shave flip it 3-4, when I open the razor and 3-4 is showing I know to change it out. I don’t shave every day and my memory for such things isn’t great 🙂

stumpy01

There was 1 Merkur blade in with my razor handle thing.

I wasn’t that impressed with it or the whole shaving experience with my new fancy DE razor.

Stuck it out for a few shaves & then popped in an Astra Superior Platinum blade and the difference was massive.
    It was equal to the difference when you forget to change blades and attempt to shave with a really old, blunt blade & then stick a new one in & marvel at how easy it is.

Can’t comment on the Feathers as I still have a small box of the Astra blades to get through before buying some more – and I’ll probably buy one of those trial selection packs.

slimporcini
    Free Member

Im a derby fan myself

ali69er
    Free Member

Big fan of the Gillette Yellows, hear their Silver Blues are awesome but not tried those yet.

Another one I think are quite nice are Treet Platinums

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Tesco/Asda own brand FTW, bunch of flash tarts.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

buy a mixed pack and figure out what you like. a few folk have said derby, i can’t stand them, too dull for me. whereas feathers are great if i have a lot of stubble. day to day sharks. but thats just my skin, you will be different.

Cougar

I find feathers too sharp sometimes

I don’t really get this. A blade is supposed to be sharp, any cook will tell you that a dull blade is more dangerous than a sharp one. I’d respectfully suggest that if a blade is “too sharp” then the real problem is either the wrong razor or poor technique. Try a less aggressive razor perhaps?

I’ve tried a bunch of different blades courtesy of kind and generous people on STW; unhelpfully perhaps but I can’t remember exactly, it was either the Astra or Derby blade which tore my face to bits, dreadful things. Feathers were the best by a long way, they Just Work.

Nonetheless, buying a selection pack is a great idea.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have tried all sorts and the Gilette 7 o’clock sharpe are the blades for me

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Merkur are awful. Feathers are great for 1 shave only. Astra for daily use

sv

I’ve tried a bunch of different blades courtesy of kind and generous people on STW; unhelpfully perhaps but I can’t remember exactly, it was either the Astra or Derby blade which tore my face to bits, dreadful things. Feathers were the best by a long way, they Just Work.

You are welcome to a pack to see if it was Astras, doubt it though they are great. I have a slim adjustable so it isn’t the razor so possibly technique! Do use the feathers when I know my face can handle it and I have time to take my time. Astras just work regardless.

papamountain
    Free Member

Astra platinum most of the time. Good for 2-3 shaves.
    Feathers, rarely, but expect to be leaking some claret. (must get a alum block/ styptic pencil). Only good for 1-2 saves i found.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Feathers in my Standard are superb, any other razor they can too readily bite you
    Gillette Yellows, Silver Blues and to a lesser degree Greens. Rapieras and Vokshods also, of course YMMV

squirrelking
    Free Member

The numbers are good for reminding you need to change the blade. I put it in showing 1-2 for first shave then next shave flip it 3-4, when I open the razor and 3-4 is showing I know to change it out. I don’t shave every day and my memory for such things isn’t great

+1

Israeli blades are utter shite, fine if you’re into blood letting I suppose. Astras have been great for me so far. Never had any issues with Merkur either from memory, they were better than the Wilkinson Sword ones anyway.

llama

Don’t listen to any recommendations. Buy a sample pack and make your own mind up.

And now having said that: my recommendation. Feathers are too nasty for me. Astras not nasty enough. I like Gillette 7oclocks and Sharks.

jwt
    Free Member

Quick update, Feathers seem much sharper and give a closer shave, few little nicks but was in more of a rush that I should of been for new razors!
    Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Merkur Vs Feathers – anyone tried both?’ is closed to new replies.