• This topic has 27 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Houns.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Magic Mushrooms – M&S supplying…
  • csb

😲

MoreCashThanDash

“They’re not just magic mushrooms…..”

Hmm, Dervla…..

Drac

Yeah they had them at Christmas too. They’re not very nice.

tjagain

Perfect for Christmas.  After all Fly Agarics are responsible for the whole flying reindeer thing. 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

They work, I ate a some and got bigger

bedmaker

Are they ready to eat, or should they be fed to a reindeer first?

thepurist

There’s a small M&S shop as part of my local petrol station – I bet they won’t stock them as there’s not mushroom on the shelves.

chevychase

You *can* eat fly agaric – you boil them in water, dispose of the water, boil again – do it a few times as it removes the poison. Then you can cook and eat as normal.

If you’re Scottish, you drink the water, of course…

politecameraaction
    Free Member

More disgusting behaviour from the company whose Colin cake is clearly an incitement to eat the highly venomous lonomia obliqua caterpillar. 🤬🤬🤬

mattyfez

Very irrsponsible, the active componds in Fly argarics can give a bad trip and make you pretty ill if you’re not carefull.

A responsible retailer would have modeled them after Psilocybe cubensis, but they aint as pretty 🙂

MSP

I bet they don’t even have any magical properties, false advertising that is.

stwhannah

And just like that @matt_outandabout has caused me a bunch of cognitive dissonance. Looks nothing like that bloke I imagine in the newsletter the other week 🙂

https://us11.campaign-archive.com/?u=400cc5be165cf51ce75834386&id=b8cfcd8863

CountZero

A responsible retailer would have modeled them after Psilocybe cubensis, but they aint as pretty

True, but they could have put the caps on tiny pixie models to sit on the top of the agarics. Biting their heads off might trigger the kiddies, tho’…

Just remembered there’s an M&S along the road from me, I’ll be going that way tomorrow, I’ll pop in and see if they’ve got any.

Mister-P
    Free Member

There’s a small M&S shop as part of my local petrol station – I bet they won’t stock them as there’s not mushroom on the shelves.

Nods at thepurist

shermer75
    Free Member

Amazing, I’m def getting some of those!

matt_outandabout

And just like that @matt_outandabout has caused me a bunch of cognitive dissonance. Looks nothing like that bloke I imagine in the newsletter the other week

Hmm, I was sitting quietly on a response to that one.

Perhaps I need to type one out soon…

matt_outandabout

Very irrsponsible, the active componds in Fly argarics can give a bad trip and make you pretty ill if you’re not carefull.

A responsible retailer would have modeled them after Psilocybe cubensis, but they aint as pretty

I was thinking more Phallus impudicus – it might sell well on valentines day.

stwhannah

All imaginary descriptions were intended to be affectionate and flattering!

ernielynch

The link in the OP actually makes an interesting read, eg :

Ecological Role: Fly agaric is a mycorrhizal fungi, living in close symbiosis with its partner trees. Its mycelium mines water and minerals, which are traded with tree partners for simple sugars.

Sounds like a fair deal.

Fly agaric – Edibility, Identification, Detoxification, Medicinal Use

matt_outandabout

All imaginary descriptions were intended to be affectionate and flattering!

😉

pk13

Shrooms and mycelium are fascinating things especially when trees are added to the mix.

martymac

@ernielynch
    That’s a really interesting read, thanks for sharing

Northwind

M&S? How very un-STW, you should be growing your own with hand-sourced cowshit

ernielynch

And why you would fail. You would need to post the question “What partner tree for my fly agaric?”

arogers
    Free Member

In Scandinavian countries people used to (maybe still do..) feed these Amanita mushrooms to reindeer. The reindeer metabolise the poisonous compounds no problem and the sedative compounds pass through them unchanged and are excreted in the urine. Those crafty vikings then drank the non-poisonous reindeer piss and got high.

mattyfez

So that’s how Rudolph the red nosed raindeer originated? hahah!

Houns

Anyone said the usual ‘all fungi are edible once’?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.