Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Machynlleth and Dyfi riding
  • servo
    Free Member

We are off to the Machynlleth area next week (near Corris) and are looking forward to riding the Mach and Climachx Loops. We hope to have a day at Coed y Brenin as well. Anything else we should look out for. Seem to be a lot of trails near our cottage NW of Corris that look worth exploring. Nothing too extreme, both riding 120mm FS bikes. Thanks.

Conan257
    Free Member

Go south out of Mach to Nant-Y-Arian, some nice trails there. Mach area itself has some good stuff, and the trails near the Centre for Alternative Technology are built by the Athertons (might be a bit extreme). CyB up north of Dolgellau. There’s loads of trails in the area at any of the “Coed”‘s, generic non-MTB specific stuff, however.

nickjb
    Free Member

There’s the three Mach loops on the South East side for a bit more XC, getting out there type riding. Quite natural, mixed with farm access tracks, does need some navigation. https://www.mbwales.com/listings/mach-1/

Not too far to the Pont Scethin Loop, too: https://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/pont-scethin/

On that side of town you can do bits of the Dyfi Enduro course but I’m not sure what is accessible when the Enduro is not on.

I expect the local trails will be nice too if you fancy a follow-your-nose ride

soobalias
    Free Member

many years since i got up to Mach, but asked on their locals facebook page and got a load of ClimachX extensions sent through

Cadair Idris is worth a ride if you have not done it.

I wouldnt bother with the drive up to CyB, more than enough to keep you local.

Dont recall the name of the pub in Corris – but they will see you right for post ride refreshments

johnnystorm

Great Cafe in Corris and the distillery at the craft centre up the road by King Arthur’s cavern is also worth a visit.

finephilly
    Free Member

Be warned, the final descent (the best bit imo) on Mach 3 has now been re-surfaced with loose stone. The old technical descent through the trees and fun singletrack has gone. Bit boring really.

dc1988

Nant Yr Arian is a great fun trail centre, the red is fairly short but with some great descending (though you do pay for it right near the end! Cadair Idris is also a great shout, nothing too technical IMO (aside from a tiny bit right at the top) and you get a good view whilst having your picnic before the ride down

wonnyj
    Free Member

Final descent of the Climax trail is just by Corris and the locals have been making various steeper lines of the side of it.

I was up there 3 weeks ago and we rode across to the Dyfi trails, “world cup descent” etc. Good day out but quite a ride from Corris.

There is also a local guide called Dave who is really good.

servo
    Free Member

Thanks for some great ideas above. Looks like we are definitely going to Cadair Idris!
    Nant Yr Arian will probably get a visit as we have done CyB before.
    Slaters Arms in the Pub in Corris is only a couple of miles from where we are staying so we can ride back afterwards.

Weather looks good for next week as well. Cheers!

davespike1981

Slaters is a good pub (i’m based the other side of Aberystwyth). Dave at BikeCorris is an excellent local guide as well. Trailforks search for off piste around the clixmach trail should give you a variety of options.

Nant was glorious last sat evening, have a google for reaper trail, nant y arian, if you want to spice it up over and above the waymarked trails

albo

Last time we rode in that area we had a day’s guiding with Dave @ bikecorris .

He showed us some amazing trails and we had probably the best day of riding I’ve had in the UK!

servo
    Free Member

Back home now after a great week with fantastic weather!

We were staying just past Aberllefenni near Corris in a cottage.

Ended up ticking off Mach 1 Loop. Missed the sign near the bridge at Forge and carried on for a couple of miles. Came back and did the Mach 1 route, but it was a really hot day and my wife was struggling in the heat. Good descent along the river near the end. Rode from the cottage using Route 8 over the cycling bridge at Machynlleth. But why so many bloody gates?

Cadair Idris. Nice to ride up a mountain on a mountain bike. Followed the route on flattyres mtb website https://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/cadair-idris/ from Abergynolwyn. Helped a couple of ebikers with their route as they had no map or anything it seemed. Lots of pushing at the top after the steps but well worth it to get there. Left our bikes just below the summit and walked the rest. Coming down was a bit sketchy and my wife didn’t want to ride most of it so we took a cheeky path on the grass below the rocks. Back at the steps and all good after that. Great day but only 15 miles!
    Very nice cafe at the steam train station at Abergynolwyn.

We both enjoyed the Climachx trail as it was easy to ride there via Corris. Wife didn’t really enjoy Tony the Tiger! Most of the other sections are quite easy but narrow. Tony the Tiger is good fun but I wasn’t expecting the rocky flat/uphill section in the middle.

Next day, we had rode to the Centre for Alternative Technology and had the guided tour which was excellent. Very good cheap cafe there which anyone can use, but you have to ride up to it!

On the way home, I did the Climachx on my own and got through Tony with no trouble (just not that fast). I took the road to Corris home but turned right up the fire road (with the gate) just after Corris Caravan Park. Tough climb, went on and on, straight up. I was intending to do the bridleway down to the Dyfi forest car park in Aberllefenni but missed the turning and went all the way to the top before dropping back down some sketchy tracks to the bridleway. Looking back on Strava, I was only about 100m from the start of Tony the Tiger again!

Couldn’t fit any more MTB in the week. We spent a day visting my mother in law in a care home in South Wales and had a train trip along the coast to Barmouth.

Every where was so quiet. South Wales was busy but Machynlleth was very quiet.

Cheers for the tips. Have to keep the rest for next time.

scuttler

Ace! I’m off tomorrow through Friday. Looking forward to it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Machynlleth and Dyfi riding’ is closed to new replies.