Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lyrik owners – opinions regarding servicing please
  • ash

I have a bit of an ongoing issue with my '07 Lyrik U-turn coil. Basically, from mid-stroke (ahem) onwards it feels harder and more sticktiony than it should.

I've always thought it was down to dirt in the seals/lack of lube etc… so I have taken the lowers off several times and thoroughly cleaned out the insides.

I have tried both
    1) packing the seals with grease
    2) (more recently) putting a bit of fork oil in each slider
    , before refitting.

The grease option has worked well (i.e. feeling very plush for a short while), but with very short lived results. The oil option which I have recently tried for the first time, does not seem to have improved matters at all.

I am convinced that the spring is the right one for my weight, as the forks felt perfect when new, AND are perfect for a short while when serviced as above.

Do any Lyrik owners on here have a tried and tested solution to the above conundrum? I must admit that I can't find the instruction manual that should have come with the forks. Should I be looking online?

Thanks in advance, people
    Ash

solamanda
    Free Member

Do any Lyrik owners on here have a tried and tested solution to the above conundrum?

Don't run them totally dry of oil for abusive uplift riding in the alps AND then let a monkey fiddle with them?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wasnt there problems with the bushings on earlier lyriks/totems?

May be worth having a scout on google, see if you come up with anything

ash

Don't run them totally dry of oil for abusive uplift riding in the alps AND then let a monkey fiddle with them?

thanks David 🙂

Wasnt there problems with the bushings on earlier lyriks/totems?

Possibly. I forgot to say: bushings, seals, etc have all been replaced once (not by me, by RockShox distributor here in CH)

retro83
    Free Member

does it feel smooth through the entire travel with the spring removed?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Flooks sorted mine out (they were pissing oil). Resized the bushings and put a new seal in that they custom cut. Buttery smooth now and were superb in the Alps.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Can't offer a solution Ash, but my '08s (new to me start of last summer) were great for the whole season. They were leaking a bit of oil around the Mission Control damper, so I did an oil change half-way through (expected them to be really low but they'd actually only lost a small amount). That's the only maintenance I did on them all season!

Going to send them to TFTuned for a full service before next summer.

mushrooms
    Free Member

Have you tried turning the bike upside down and compressing the forks a few times? It might help a bit.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Could be twisted lowers maybe? The best thing to do to check this is remove the lowers and re-fit them one leg at a time to see if either leg is tighter than the other, then refit them back to front (arch at the back) and compress a few times. If one leg is tight, it's the bushes, if they feel fine individually but rotten back to front, then the lowers are twisted. That's the advice i got from TF anyway a couple of years ago for my coil u-turns, and resulted in bushing re-sizing and subsequently the best feeling pair of single-crown forks i've ever had!

walleater

A mates gets a bit like this (sort of 'rubbery' feeling as you go into the stroke) and a quick rub of Red Rum on the seals / stanctions sorts it out.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ash – ygm.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lyrik owners – opinions regarding servicing please’ is closed to new replies.