Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Lube strategy for neighbour’s bike
  • stevious

I’m replacing the chain & cassette on my neighbour’s old trek later today and it just struck me that he probably isn’t going to be quite as Walter White as I am about lubing his chain. I think a quick sense check is needed.

Should I just give the chain a good wipe down to get the sticky residue off the outside and let the grease do it’s thing til he blasts it out with WD40?

Any other suggestions to keep his chain in good nick with minimal* fuss?

*this does not mean waxing his chain.

fossy

GT85 and pass him a can of it

chakaping
    Free Member

*this does not mean waxing his chain.

You’ve not provided him with a deep fat fryer and a tub of Putoline? Shame on you.

You could always ask what he uses and recommend Weldtite TF2 as being excellent and cheap…

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/weldtite-tf2-cycle-oil-125ml?utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=Cj0KCQjwmvSoBhDOARIsAK6aV7gPM-H8eUN5p9ZPRkUl0rxXTKbKxy5icXMvi0ASCyh6oRP8PlmKi8oaAtFQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

oceanskipper

Came here for innuendos and euphemisms. Leaving disappointed…

hightensionline

Do you need to? If the chain and cassette you’re replacing are ancient, then whatever he’s used has worked.

Obviously if it’s borked because of neglect, and it’s not that old, then fair enough.

stumpy01

I’d recommend some of that TF2 stuff, or Finish Line Wet Lube and explain about putting it on, then wiping any excess off & leave them to it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I waxed my parent’s bikes chains as I knew it would at least last a few hundred miles and after that I m pretty sure they just cake them in whatever is to hand, probably old gearbox oil.

As long as it lasts an acceptable time before it starts skipping then most people (not “cyclists”) really don’t care about the minute of 0.75% wear, rotating chains, etc etc. They just want the bike bike to work acceptably well for a couple of years inbetween overhauls/replacement.

jamj1974

I’ve been in a similar situation and wiped down the outside of their chain and given them a bottle of lube to use – usually one of the Muc-Off ones as although they are not the cleanest, I am sure that he can wipe the chain occasionally and lets face it Muc-Off lubes are a hell of a lot better than WD40 for chains.

stevious

All fixed and good to go. Wiped the stickiness of the outside and left the grease to do its job. Might get him a bottle of weldtite for xmas 🙂

As an aside, the 8 speed Acera on his bike shifted beautifully. Shimano know what they’re doing don’t they?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As an aside, the 8 speed Acera on his bike shifted beautifully. Shimano know what they’re doing don’t they?

Easy to fall into the trap of actually believing that XTR / XX01189998819991197253 actually shifts any different to the cheap stuff, when actually all you’re getting is metal paddles, multiple/more clicks each way, adjustable paddles etc.

oceanskipper

Wiped the stickiness of the outside and left the grease to do its job

That’s more like it…. 😎

stevious

Further update: Just saw him riding up and down the street with a massive grin on his face. BICYCLES ARE GREAT.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Well done, OP

If you want innuendos, I’ll give you one

theotherjonv

Then find a music roadie who can give you one too.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I don’t have much money or time. Will he give me one too free for five minutes?

Gunz
    Free Member

Surely a small, half empty and battered can of 3 in 1 is the lube choice for the non-cyclist.

NYC101009

I read that as Lube strategy for neighbour’s Wife 😜

matt_outandabout

Might get him a bottle of wedltite for xmas

Buying neighbours a personal bottle of lube for Christmas. Pure filth.

oceanskipper

I don’t have much money or time. Will he give me one too free for five minutes?

Cracking deal that.

One too free, phwoar!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.