Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • loose freehub ratchet advise
  • markyboy
    Free Member

Recently bought a new set of wheels(stans rims on superstar v6 hubs)nice looking light set of wheels.on the first outing they frustratingly lost all drive.on inspection i found the ratchet ring loose.Sent back and after two weeks had same wheel returned and told its fixed.I thought these rings were pressed but might be wrong are they threaded.I fully expected a new hub as i thought this would have caused damage.Have contacted several times for explanation but have had nothing and am reluctant to use wheel again as another failure is not an option as last one was 10 miles from car!!

cheers

connect2

What do you mean by ratchet ring, the one inside the hub itself? If so, I’ve no help to offer. The freehub is loose and can be just pulled out of the hub. There were problems with early freehubs and they sent out new ones to folks who had already bought wheels with them fitted

markyboy
    Free Member

hi yes the actual ring in the hub was turning causing loss of drive.

vincienup
    Free Member

The ratchet is usually screwed in rather than set (believe Hope do this too) but I understood it was usually a factory fix and not really practical for shop/end user so essentially damaged = new hub.

Superstar are manufacturing the V6 hub in-house though, do I guess ‘factory fix’ is possible for them.

felixb
    Free Member

I had the same issue last week, at my third ride on the more or less only significant climb.

The threaded ring also got loose, and we could take it out quite easily. I sent the wheel in and received it yesterday with a new ring put in, but the original hub body.

on request what the problem was, e.g. if the ring was faulty/out of tolerance, they just wrote “We are unable to comment or discuss the specifics of each individual case. Your unique problem has been identified and resolved fully.”
    Also the query if this was a common issue, was ignored. I read on social media that some others experienced the same.
    Did not manage to ride it since I received my wheel yesterday, but let’s see how long it lasts this time.

@markyboy

Did yours last longer this time?

escrs
    Free Member

Ratchet rings screw in, they can be removed and refitted at home with the correct ratchet ring tool

The ratchet ring tool is normally specific to the hub brand as most manufactures use different size ratchet rings and free hub bodies in their hubs

The ratchet ring tightens into the hub clockwise iirc so it shouldn’t work loose as the freehub is putting pressure on it when your pedaling

They are steel and the hub shell is alloy so i would normally say the hub shell would strip before the ratchet ring became faulty, yours may have had a faulty ratchet ring and the hub shell wasn’t damaged so they just fitted a new one

felixb
    Free Member

So new problem after the fixed “rachet ring”. As soon as the rear axle is tightened the freehub doesn’t spin properly and the chain gets slack.
    Additionally it makes some “squeeking” noise so I assume the freehub body touches the inner part of the hub or so.

Let’s see what they reply on Monday.

escrs
    Free Member

Looks like they have missed something out when they fitted the ratchet ring

Some hubs run a washer behind the freehub (Hope for example) if this is not fitted then the symptoms you describe can happen

Personally id be stripping the hub down and checking everything is in there, centre axle is ok, Bearings sitting flush and running smooth, all pawls and spring are in place etc…

endomick
    Free Member

I’d never buy their rear hubs, every model has had issues going back several years, just check this forum, and I find they never answer questions, or take on board complaints until they get inundated with the same one, they’ll never learn or listen to constructive criticism, so their next rear hub will be dogshite too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘loose freehub ratchet advise’ is closed to new replies.