Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Let’s see your tool boxes.
  • dair86
    Free Member

Faced with a fair bit of time on my hands I think it’s time I sorted my bike tools out.

Currently stored in an old plastic box in no particular order.

Found this on insta https://instagram.com/toolboxwars?igshid=1xvvm8bve11yc

Some brilliant ideas.

Anyone on here got any good examples.

Looking for a plastic case/tool box something I can stick in the back of the car when going on long trips or to events.

Poopscoop

There was a recent thread on here mate on this very subject.👍

jkomo

C.K Magma MA2718 Tool Roll, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00517FFRU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TzeFEbWCQN2PW

I’ve got all my tools in this, easy to Chuck in the car and is hung in open garage next to work bench when at home.

Those boxes look like a great project.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I too prefer a tool roll. I do like the look of some of those boxes though.

IMG_0784

frogstomp

I use a Bahco Tool Folder whch does the job nicely and is easy to stow under the boot floor.

kayak23

With identifying stickers as I have so many of the blummin things!

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Not sure it’s what you’re after but why not 😉

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eD8nrb]Snap-on box[/url] by Martin Robbo, on Flickr

SirHC

Going to give mine a reshuffle and swap to three layers, rather than two, move the lesser used tools to the bottom.

Merak

tall_martin

null

richyb78
    Free Member

Small essentials box for the car

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iHPsfU]IMG_1182[/url] by Richard Blyth, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iHSbb6]IMG_1184[/url] by Richard Blyth, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iHSba4]IMG_1185[/url] by Richard Blyth, on Flickr

Merak

That’s v neat Rich what size box is that?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

My god, is the picture above level one OCD or is it level 10000000 CDO? 😉

richyb78
    Free Member

Thats a Peli 1150, Its tiny!

FB-ATB

As I’m likely to be furloughed soon, I may get round to cutting the foam for my spanners in the tool chest.

My original idea was to have them arranged from smallest to largest so the centre of each spanner is in line, like an inverted pyramid.

Although it would look tidy, I think it would waste space. Any alternative suggestions welcome.

scc999

@FB-ATB

In a former life, I used these (but in red!)
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/laser-6976-sharks-teeth-spanner-organiser/

Toolbox sat in the back of a van and the spannders never got dislodged. Easy to grab the spanner and drop it back. Can’t see having the spanners in foam cutouts being convenient when working with grubby / oily hands (gloves).

Si

Drac

Ah!

/pulls trousers back up.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Can someone enlighten me about how you cut the foam neatly, so it looks good even without tools in it? Or is that not possible?

Thanks

FB-ATB

Scc999, cheers for the link, looks a lot easier than spending time cutting foam! One of the reasons I’ve not got round to it now! Spanners have minimal use now and Dad ingrained in me cleaning tools up and putting them away the end of work sessions.

Got through 2 Spitfire restorations but the cars have gone now so they get infrequent use. The foam came with the chest and seeing the recent posts just thought now may be the time to actually do something with it!

Merak

@cyclelife

It’s possible. The sharper the knife the better, take your time and you’ll get a really nice finish.

tillydog
    Free Member

I’m sorry, but this tread needs some balance:

toolbox

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Can someone enlighten me about how you cut the foam neatly, so it looks good even without tools in it? Or is that not possible?

Thanks

Buy proper foam, the stuff that’s black on top, and yellow below. Cover in masking tape, draw out the shape, use a plunge router with the smallest bit used for sharp corners. Whip off tape, voila.

Used to have all our snap on roll cabs done like that when I tested aircraft engines, yellow makes it nice n easy yo scan what’s missing (very important to prevent FOD on engines!)

toolzenith73
    Free Member

Struggling to upload pics of mine, help please ?

FB-ATB

when I tested aircraft engines, yellow makes it nice n easy yo scan what’s missing

One of the mechanics at the company I used to work for had all his tools stamped to stop the others “borrowing” his items and making sure his tools wouldn’t be involved in a FOD incident. One of our Challenger 300s was involved in a tool based FOD- the whole tool chest! It was in the Middle East and the mechanic working nearby hadn’t put the brake on the chest so when the wind picked up it was pushed into our a/c. Rather expensive to fix.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Got one of those Cocraft tool chests, brilliant for the price, Halford roll cab for the bottom.

rockhopperbike

CK magna roll here too

duncancallum

2 roll cabs and a load of boxes. Youd not want photos

dirkpitt74

Here’s my rather dis-organised tool box….

Thinking about getting a Peli-style case similar to THIS:

null

And some of this EASY-PEEL FOAM

null

And just putting the bike specific tools in there.

georgecats_0
    Free Member

I’ve been working on my toolbox this week too, (though I don’t know how to upload pics),I started with a dewalt tstak tote, I bought two washing machine baskets from eBay (fiver each), they fit across the tote, one each end, bolted in place, they leave a gap approx 35mm wide down one side, so I planed a piece of softwood to fit, drilled holes every 40mm ish and they hold my screwdrivers, files etc.
    That leaves me with 10 small baskets to hold my other tools, and a space in the middle for hammers etc
    I must point out that I will be using it as a general diy box not a bike tool specific one, but it could easily be used for the latter, cost about £30 in total by the way
    I have tried these technicians boxes and bags, but they are never quite right, the beauty of a tote, you can grab/replace tools easily, but they can get wet/stolen if left in the open, and a plain tote is a pain , cos the tool you want is always at the bottom

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One of the mechanics at the company I used to work for had all his tools stamped to stop the others “borrowing” his items and making sure his tools wouldn’t be involved in a FOD incident. One of our Challenger 300s was involved in a tool based FOD- the whole tool chest! It was in the Middle East and the mechanic working nearby hadn’t put the brake on the chest so when the wind picked up it was pushed into our a/c. Rather expensive to fix.

All of our tools were inscribed, for complete traceability. Worst I saw was a Makita 18v combi driver being left in a bellmouth (intake) after being used to change out spinner cone weights as part of fan balancing. Was a MD11 engine, made a right old mess. 🙁

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Let’s see your tool boxes.’ is closed to new replies.