Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Legal ? ethical ? moral ?
  • grynch
    Free Member

Ok, here’s the deal …. And the legal part of this question I know myself… never.

But… there has been a bike chained to the wall, near where I park my car, for about 3-4 months now.

To be honest I’ve had my eye on this thing as a candidate for a possible fixie for awhile now but meantime it is slowly disintegrating.

It didn’t take long at all for the front tyre to go missing, then the saddle, now recently the rear tyre is gone. At what point (ever? ) would it be acceptable to me to pop the lock ( surprised it’s not happened already.. simple cable lock ) and make off with the frame?

The best I can ever see happening currently is a police detail coming round with a pair of bolt cutters and either throwing the remains in a skip or selling it off on auction to benefit the Police Benevolent Society.

roper
    Free Member

Take it. Just make sure you dress up as like someone you don't like who might be near by, first.

Pigface
    Free Member

Have it away and re-animate.

fadda

As you said, it will otherwise just continue to disintegrate, then get binned. Rejuvenate, then post the pics!

bassspine
    Free Member

it's a police plant – they're going to jump on the sucker who touches it.

(where did you say it was?)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Owner lives alone and has had a major illness, last thing on his mind was collecting his beloved bike but he hoped no-one would be cheap enough to steal it…

😆

furry_marmot
    Free Member

Is it yours? No! So leave it alone. This is just another example of why I wish the canton de Genève would revoke your residence permit.

grynch
    Free Member

ahh, nice too see you again also furry…

grynch
    Free Member

and just for accuracy that would be the Canton of Vaud furry.
    cheers,

Trekster

cut the lock, take it to police station, say you have found it, no-one claims it, you get it back legally 💡

Junkyard
    Free Member

I thought if you gave up ownership of something then legally other people could take it without it being theft- like when you throw something in a skip or a bin.
    Not sure exactly what length of time would be required in this situation if at all.

coffeeking
    Free Member

cut the lock, take it to police station, say you have found it, no-one claims it, you get it back legally

Fairly sure that would be stealing also, and criminal damage to the lock. Doesn't matter if you took it to the police station afterwards. It's not yours, leave it where it is.

I thought if you gave up ownership of something then legally other people could take it without it being theft- like when you throw something in a skip or a bin.

I think you'd have to prove the person had given up ownership, rather than just forgotten about it. They're not the same thing.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You can technically steal space in a skip! Just because you throw something into a skip doesn't automatically mean you can take it! Just remember it from my studying days.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Take it. But make sure you don't tell too many people about it. Doh, too late you dopey bar steward, a career in crime is not for you!

Anyone interested in buying an Ibis Mojo?

grynch
    Free Member

Yeti, I know, how foolish of me… furryMarmot is watching my every move now. 8)

binners

grynch this evening:

beanum

A fixie? In Canton Vaud? You must be mad. Apart from the big hills everywhere, you'll have to contend with Swiss drivers not signalling on roundabouts and sadistic bus drivers. Fit a back brake at least, please.

alpin
    Free Member

Fit a back brake at least, please.

front brake?

i done almost the same thing in Germany. found a bike in a bush that had obviously been there some time. had it away, stripped it, repainted the frame, salvaged what i could, built a set of wheels (flip-flop hub), turned and cut down the bars, ransacked the bits box of my LBS and ended up with this:

duckman

Alpin;you need to put that back IN the bushes.

alpin
    Free Member

crispybacon
    Free Member

do they still hang bike thieves in Switzerland? 😉

grynch
    Free Member

only Cornish ones Crispy

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Legal ? ethical ? moral ?’ is closed to new replies.