Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • #jennride – Aberdeenshire – 25th October
  • GavinB

It’s about time a #jennride was set up North of the border, so I’m proposing a great loop on Sunday 25th October (remember to check your watch/clocks as BST ends at 02:00 on the 25th).

Meet up will probably be at the car park behind the church and Cycle Highlands at 10am.

The ride will be epic on scenery, wildlife, chat and cake! Plan to ride for about 3 hours around the Coyles of Muick, then replenish ourselves in The Bothy cafe.

Who’s in?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hmmm may get pressured into marshalling at the knockburn cyclocross if the club are desperate.

If not then im game, cant miss an excuse for hte bothy 🙂

GavinB

Didn’t realise until after I’d posted this, that it clashed with the Knockburn CX day. Hoping to get a good little crowd along here, and there are loads of different routes, so depending on conditions and what people fancy, we will definitely get a good ride in.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I can’t make it due to work sorry! Hopefully all who do attend have fun.

notlocal
    Free Member

I’m off. Might drag some Aboyne Nomads, Aboyne NoNads and 9zerofreewheelers along if that’s OK.

GavinB

@notlocal – That sounds great, the more, the merrier. Mrs B is planning on riding too.

euain

I’ll be there Gavin. See if I can drag along anyone from the office as well as the Monday night group of muppets I ride with :).

tillyfishes
    Free Member

I might be able to come…….would be nice if I could…..was the plan for the Green Mile and those trails?

notlocal
    Free Member

The top of the Green Mile may be a bit damp, so we’ll need to tread lightly, but other than that it should be ok. There is a link from the bottom of the Green Mile, via some nice singletrack, to the Pollhollock bridge. From the bridge, there is a shared path back toward the old line then around the golf course back into Ballater. No more more schlep along the south Deeside road.

metalheart
    Free Member

Will there be an aul fat bumblers section?

I’d turn up if I know I’m not going to hold people up… 😳

(Been off the bike for a couple years really, only recently ‘started back’).

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I’ll not be there metalheart but I’m also not long back into biking so maybe we could have a go slow loop sometime…

notlocal
    Free Member

Metalheart, you can join me at the back 😀

metalheart
    Free Member

@notlocal – oh I do like company… Count me in then (but I have warned you, this is no false modesty!) 😀

@g/willy – I’ll drop you an email in the next day or two.

GavinB

@notlocal – it sounds like you have a good idea of a route, and probably better local knowledge, so I’m not at all precious about sticking with my route idea. The stuff you mention sounds really good.

metalheart – (personal preference) I’d rather we all ride as one group, keep each other company and just enjoy the day, rather than try to smash Strava.

Jenn continues to be an incredibly inspiring person. If we can all get out and have an adventure together in an amazing part of the country, my hope is that it brings a smile to her face.

metalheart
    Free Member

(personal preference) I’d rather we all ride as one group

I don’t disagree, just that I’m pretty slow at the moment. I’ve not ridden the proposed route (not ridden near Ballater in manys a year) so keen to see what’s there and, yes, I’d rather see a decent turn out for the ride (sort of stand up to be counted as it were). And whats Strava? 😆

RustyMac

Going to miss this unfortunately, it’ll be choppers eve for me on the 25th and i’ll still be on the land beyond the sea. hope you all have a good one.

GavinB

@metalheart – slow is absolutely fine!

metalheart
    Free Member

No problem Gavin. My space (at the back, next to notlocal) is a confirmed booking.

notlocal
    Free Member

@GavinB were you thinking of the Green Mile or did you have other trails in mind?
    Happy to advise on conditions just now. The return leg from the mile used to take in several smaller sections of singletrack and a road finish, but the new bit crosses the road at the bottom of the mile, straight into the forest again. I rode it a couple of months ago with Richard from Cyclehighlands and really enjoyed it.

GavinB

@notlocal – the original route I had in mind was the ‘Round the Coyles of Muick’ route on MTBTrails.info

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=52#TrailNumber166

I did think about either the standard ‘Green Mile’, or else the Neeps ‘extension to it, but the variation you’ve described sounds very good, even more so if you’ve ridden it recently.

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’m be up for this, although I currently have no frame as its off to the shop/distributors re a warranty issue. I was also supposed to be doing the fair city enduro on the Saturday but given the bikes been out of action for over a month and I’ve not ridden it for nearly 6-7 weeks I’m inclined to give it a miss and do this instead. Once I hear back about the frame I’ll let you guys know if I’ll be along.

GavinB

I’ve agreed with wittonweaver, who arranged the Ramsbottom #jennride that we can use the JustGiving pages he set up, rather than setup a new set of donations pages.

The links are both below:

Cancer Research UK link
    MacMillan Cancer Support

GavinB

What size are you, or what size frame do you normally ride? I may be able to help out there, otherwise you could always grab a bike from Cycle Highlands.

GavinB

I’ve been thinking about this coming Sunday, given that it was originally setup, like the other rides, to try to show a positive reaction to what was happening, to head out and have fun, have adventures, make new friends and think about Jenn.

I don’t think that’s changed, since the terrible news from Friday, if anything it makes it even more poignant that we take some time to think of Jenn whilst riding our bikes in a part of the world she really loved.

metalheart
    Free Member

Gavin, I agree. There is no change in sentiment, if anything it should be a celebration (of her life and what she was).

trail_rat
    Free Member

agree gavin.

We are committed to this now , dont seem to have had any begging emails from the club yet.

We(me and mrst-r) will be coming from aviemore via loch bulig having done the Cairngorm outer loop over 2 days – so assuming we dont smash up the bikes too much

I think we will be staying at habitat on saturday night in Ballater if anyone else is coming from afar and staying over give us a shout for a beer or what not. – saves us driving to and from Aberdeen saturday night/sunday morning.

GavinB

Nice one trail rat – that sounds great. My Mrs will actually be at Knockburn with our boys, otherwise she’d be coming on the ride here too.

I’m actually heading out tonight to give the Neeps Green Mile route a checkover. It’s been pretty dry recently, so thinking that sort of thing would work for everyone.

GavinB

So, headed out last night just as the rain started (great timing!) and checked out the Green Mile Neeps Route. Overall, it’s a nice route, with some great singletrack, easy climbs and with some daylight should have some good views.

I spoke with Richard at Cyclehighlands last night, explaining what we were doing, and he offered that we all meet at his shop. He’s there from 9 on Sundays, and there is plenty of space to park bikes, get some shelter, maybe grab a coffee. He can also give us any last minute advice on routes. The main car park is behind the shop, and is free parking.

notlocal
    Free Member

GavinB,I’d just got in from work and was reading your last post, when monsoon started. Forecast is for a possible shower, but otherwise clear, on Sunday.
    I will be in the Balmoral bar on Saturday night. Carnation and copy of the times optional 😀

kcal

good luck with the trip t_r & mrs t_r.

Looking to get quite windy tonight / Thursday but hopefully calming down again.
    Too far for me to travel 🙁 and family stuff on anyway but – as nearest ride out – will be thinking of you & jenn.

Callum

GavinB

Just a quick reminder that the clocks go back this weekend (if you don’t remember, you’ll be there super-early). Meet up at Cycle Highlands from 10am, aiming to be riding by 10.30am.

Keeping my fingers crossed for half-decent weather, and a great turn-out, so bring your friends 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Change of plan. Freehubs banjoed intemittantly. Managed to nurse it 80km today but getting ropey.

Headin back to aberdeen tonight. Ill be on the fatty….. Its either that or a fixed wheel cross bike.

See you all at 10

GavinB

Fatties are fine!

GavinB

Thank you so much to everyone who came out today. What a great day for a beautiful ride around the local hills. Some great views, good laughs, cake and lovely singletrack.

Thanks also to Will for doing a cracking job of keeping us pointing in the right direction, and to Colin and Euain for making up for my below average skills with a camera!

Pics here

notlocal
    Free Member

Good to meet some new faces today. The weather was kind and left us alone. Good crack, and met a fellow Morpeth exile.

euain

Good ride and great to meet some forumites in the flesh as well. Thanks for organising Gavin. It does make you think how you just need to get out and do it – whether a 3h ride on a Sunday morning or a bigger challenge.

Thanks all for the company round the loop. I’ll definitely be asking for some route advice in the next few months when I come back to play in the area.

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks to all (sorry to keep you all waiting… 😳 ).

Nice to meet you all.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good to meet a lot of new faces. Great route and great coffee….

some images i took – i am not a photographer for a good reason :d

notlocal
    Free Member

@euain, drop me a message anytime you need some local knowledge.

@metalheart, the day wasn’t about speed. Turning up was the name of the game.

aroyalnit
    Free Member

Great day out. Thanks guys!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘#jennride – Aberdeenshire – 25th October’ is closed to new replies.