• This topic has 59 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by poah.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • James Bond curious 8yr old
  • lesgrandepotato

We have all the movies (well the old ones) in a 25box set.

Where do we start? What’s a good opener?

p7eaven
    Free Member

ayjaydoubleyou

Oooh, do you want him to see violence, or 60’s misogyny?

I vote start from the beginning and work through.

footflaps

I started my nephews with MoonRaker, followed by OHMSS….

convert

Oooh, do you want him to see violence, or 60’s misogyny?

This. The new stuff is great, but not for 8yr olds. The old stuff is shit, though with luck the casual racism and overt misogyny will go over their heads.

Stick to Barney etc.

MoreCashThanDash

To be fair, I was brought up on Bond in the 70s and turned out not to be racist or misogynistic. Or violent.

Or great at stunt driving, or mysteriously irresistible to much younger and more attractive women.

Either run through in sequence, or start with Roger Moore when they really were being played for laughs.

weeksy

Oh god, can’t people just accept them for what they are ? Entertainment movies made 30,40 years ago..

Why read more into them than needed.?

convert

To be fair, I was brought up on Bond in the 70s and turned out not to be racist or misogynistic. Or violent.

I’d say with certainty that we (white, male boys) ALL turned out to be a bit racist and misogynistic. It was just so ingrained into every day society (by for example a good dollop of Bond at christmas) it’s taken us 40 odd years to start to see it/us for what we were and start working it out of our systems.

IdleJon

We have all the movies (well the old ones) in a 25box set.

Where do we start

Haven’t you watched them? Any of them? If you have, you must have an idea of which one would suit your child? (Mine – all a little older than yours – would wander off after about 10 minutes, especially with the Connery ones.)

prawny

We started ours off with Goldeneye as an easy way in. Although my two weren’t all that fussed, if they were keen to watch I would have started them from the beginning.

convert

Cos there are about a bazillion alternatives to watch instead so no need?

Also, rewatching now – they are disappointedly shit. Best left as fond memories of the 45+ yr olds imo.

MoreCashThanDash

Oh god, can’t people just accept them for what they are ? Entertainment movies made 30,40 years ago..

Stone the unbeliever!

IHN

Indeed, they are just entertainment movies made 30, 40 years. And they’re full of casual racism and misogyny, as society was 30 or 40 years ago (and let’s face it, still is). Just because it was ‘okay’ then, doesn’t mean it’s ‘okay’ now.

I’d say with certainty that we (white, male boys) ALL turned out to be a bit racist and misogynistic. It was just so ingrained into every day society (by for example a good dollop of Bond at christmas) it’s taken us 40 odd years to start to see it/us for what we were and start working it out of our systems.

This, basically.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think it’s pretty important to not shy away from the past. I don’t have any kids yet but I would want to make sure what my 8 yearolds, boy or girl understood that the attitudes on display weren’t right then and still aren’t right now. It does detract from them. In the same way friends seemed harmless but the amount of jokes about being gay or more specifically NOT being gay makes it pretty grim viewing now.

Also… Sean Connery is on video as saying hitting women is okay if they don’t what they are told. He was also the shittest bond so it’s quite easy just not to watch them.

IHN

He was also the shittest bond

Whooooooooooooah there sunshine….

joshvegas
    Free Member

He was though.

Some of his bond may be some of the better bond films. But not because he was in them.

But he’s shite in everything he has ever been in.

snotrag

I’d go with the Pierce Brosnan 3 – they are the ones I watched as a kid at time of launch, they dont feel too old our outdated yet they are far less ‘serious’ and gritty than the Daniel Craig Era.

Then go right back to the beginning if he enjoys it.

IHN

How can you say that? I’ve never seen a more convincing portrayal of Russian submarine captain

IdleJon

Indeed, they are just entertainment movies made 30, 40 years. And they’re full of casual racism and misogyny, as society was 30 or 40 years ago

The early ones may reflect society as it was – I can’t speak for that because it’s before my time. Although, it is interesting that there were plenty of films from the 60s that didn’t include casual racism and misogyny. (And plenty did, of course.)

But 30/40 years ago? We genuinely were quite enlightened by the late 80s, early 90s. Bond was seen as a moral dinosaur even then.

lesgrandepotato

Haven’t you watched them? Any of them? If you have, you must have an idea of which one would suit your child?

In a word no. I dabbled for a bit but haven’t gone back to them

Drac

I was around that age when I seen For Your Eyes Only. I’d seen many others on TV before that, the one I recall the most being Live and Let Die.

timmys

I’d go with the Pierce Brosnan 3

I love to think you’ve written “3” as you are in complete denial of Die Another Day existing.

snotrag

Wow your right, I didnt even really think through it properly but just assumed it was 3.

Make that 4!

corroded
    Free Member
    nickc

I think there’s probably films I’d be happy for my 8 year to watch before we got around to Bond movies. From Disney to Shrek to; Oh I dunno, early Harry Potter, some of the Star wars, Princess Bride…Loads of stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Save the young un a world of drudgery, point him/her in the direction of Mr Tumble or something more interesting than Bond.

@joshvegas
    +1 – Connery wasn’t a patch on Roger Moore, which is a bloody low bar.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Don’t forget animal House NickC

crazy-legs

I think there’s probably films I’d be happy for my 8 year to watch before we got around to Bond movies. From Disney to Shrek to; Oh I dunno, early Harry Potter, some of the Star wars, Princess Bride…Loads of stuff.

This.
    Add in Jurassic Park/World, How To Train Your Dragon, even some of the Tremors series and a host of other films that don’t have sexist misogynist overtones, shit acting, plot holes you could drive a bus through and terrible special effects.

Anything before Timothy Dalton is watchable if you’re late 30’s onwards, kind of grew up with them on TV on Bank Holidays and there’s bugger all else on. That’s about their limit.

mattyfez

I tried to revisit some of the earlier ones, and must say they make for very unconfortable watching in parts, some scenes are just flat out rapey.

bazzer
    Free Member

I remember going to see Moonraker with my dad, the first bond film I saw in the cinema.

When the Bond(Dr No) music starts I am 9 years old again.

I loved watching bond with my dad as a kid.

When I was a kid I wanted to be either Bond or a Spaceman. What do lads want to be when they grow up now ????

footflaps

I remember going to see Moonraker with my dad, the first bond film I saw in the cinema.

Best double entendre ever….

benpinnick

I’d start with the mission impossible films myself.

crazy-legs

I’d start with the mission impossible films myself.

Start with MI2. 1 is incomprehensible at times!

footflaps

Start with MI2. 1 is incomprehensible bollocks.

They all blur into one for me, can’t remember which ones I’ve seen…

mattyfez

benpinnick

Start with MI2. 1 is incomprehensible at times!

Of no concern to an 8 yr old.

kennyp
    Free Member

For an 8 year old I’d start with The Spy Who Loved Me and then Moonraker. Loads of action and explosions, a baddie with metal teeth who turns out to be a nice guy, a car getting chased by a helicopter and then going underwater, scenery that’s (literally at times) out of this world and, best of all, space marines fighting with lasers. What’s not to like.

And at the end of Moonraker you get the joy of explaining to an 8 year old what the “I think he’s attempting re-entry” joke means!

tonyd

I grew up loving Bond movies but my kids (11 and 12) aren’t that impressed with the older ones, and they hate it when I try to force my nostalgia onto them. I think back then we were used to waiting 40 minutes for an action scene because everything was slower paced. Our kids are used to instant gratification so if a movie isn’t moving at 1000 miles per hour they’re not interested.

As others have said, get them going with Mission Impossible and that kind of thing. Mine love the Transporter movies.

funkmasterp

The Rock, he’s good in that.

Bond films are shite. Just explain this to your eight year old and watch Spies in Disguise instead.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

“Look son. When you’re old enough to drink eventually you’ll be hungover enough to watch it. Until then: it’s shite.”

Edit Transporter would be a bit spicy for an 8 yr old?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘James Bond curious 8yr old’ is closed to new replies.