Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • I’ve never seen starwars… which order?
  • jamiesilo
    Free Member

well i have, but only the originals on a small telly years ago.

now i’ve got all but the most recent on a hard-drive to watch.

so what order should i watch them in? in order of release or chronologically according to the ‘plot’?

and are they suitable for my 6 y.o. daughter?

willard

Some part may be; she’ll see people get killed, cut in half, that sort of thing. Som of the characters do look evil too.

As for order, I would say to go with numerical. Episode 1 is bad, episode 2 less so, 3 reasonable. Throw Rogue 1 in next, then go for the originals and you’ll get the complete experience but seeing them improve in quality.

nickjb
    Free Member

Go for machete – 4, 5, 2, 3, 6

martinhutch

I would ignore 1,2,3 and go 4,5,6,7,8, R1. Save the others until she’s old enough to feel the crushing disappointment/enjoy the nuanced discussion of Republic trade treaties.

Drac

They’re kids films.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I would agree with Martin – ignore 1, 2 & 3. they’re pants. I’d say watch Rogue 1 first then 4, 5 & 6, then into the newer films. You don’t need to watch 1 – 3, shame really because the back story is good, but the films are so pants and will ruin your overall experience. Machete assumes the viewer has been living on another planet and isn’t actually aware that Darth Vader is Luke’s father and that the story is told as one long coherent story, but if you ignore the first 3 then you get a pretty coherent story and 1 – 3 were made to provide the backstory so not made to be part of one long coherent story.

nuke

In numerical order and start with low expectations.

I wouldn’t ignore the first 3 as its all Star Wars and therefore there’s always some good that can be got from them…plus you/others may not like them but your 6 year old might like them

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

For a 6 year old def do 1,2,3 first (3 quite dark). 1,2 are awful but my kids really enjoyed them at that age. For your sanity have an alternative source of entertainment (tablet with singletrack?) during 1&2 (esp 1). After 3 do R1 then 4,5,6. R1 then 4 back to back is great cold afternoon time waste. Keep tablet handy again for Ewok parts of 6. Then 7 (again tablet handy to minimise boredom in middle stages) and finally 8. By then you’ll be yearning for some pod racing action.

sorry have thought much too much about this, MrsH must never see this post

AlexSimon

4567RogueOne8

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to avoid the first 3, but they are probably the most kid friendly.

So I’d watch them 1, 2, 3, R1, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 will probably be available by the time you get through all that.

3, R1 and 5 are the least Kid Friendly.

DezB
    Free Member

They’re kids films

100% agree with this. More suitable for a 6 y.o than an adult! Don’t understand why there’s such an obsession over them.

hols2
    Free Member

4, 5, 6, then stop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I tried to watch 2 recently after wondering if they were as bad as everyone said – I couldn’t really remember, didn’t make it to the end.

I’d agree you can go R1 before E3 but it’s a 12A so not really for a 6 year old and a lot darker

perchypanther
    Free Member

Don’t understand why there’s such an obsession over them.

It’s because in the 1970’s films were a bit shit.

Then Jaws and Star Wars arrived  and forced Hollywood to up it’s game considerably.

AlexSimon

Don’t understand why there’s such an obsession over them.

Neither did George, hence the fact that in many ways ep 123 absolutely take the magic of 456 away and shouldn’t be watched. I’m sure there’s a fan edit somewhere that works, but I haven’t had the time to trawl through and find it.

midlifecrashes

4 then stop. Actually I can’t usually call it 4, it’s just Star Wars. Similarly never watch a sequel or a reboot. (Series of existing literature, fine, new movies written to cash in on success of first one, nope)

oikeith

It was actually episode 3 that got me into starwars in my mid 20’s. I’d seen some of 4,5 & 6 on tv over the years but didnt think much of them!

Episode 3 is still my favourite…closely followed by Rogue 1 now.

I’d say start at episode 1

fingerbang
    Free Member

I know Godfather, taxi driver, french connection, exorcist wewe absolute pants 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Maybe he meant kids’ films were a bit shit in the 70s. 🙂

roger_mellie

Machete order Vs release order http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Edit: There’s also an update to that blog post which suggests any new numbered Episodes in order after Machete Order, no matter how many they make, with stand alone films (e.g. Rogue One) at any time you like.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nah, I meant that throughout the 60 ‘s and the 70’s movies tended to be relatively bleak brutal affairs, mostly portraying  stories which were slightly exaggerated versions of real life scenarios. (I’ll give you the Exorcist though)

They had mostly  lost the epic qualities of the 40’s and 50’s where people went to the cinema to be wowed by what they saw. There were many great films but nothing you’d queue round the  high street for an hour to get in and see.

The quote that sums it up for me was the one printed on the front cover of the first VHS copy of Star Wars that I owned.

“The rebirth of cinema as spectacle”

edhornby

I would say machete too – episode 1 is pointless but 5 followed by 2 then 3 explains why ‘I am your father’

simon_g

Go for machete – 4, 5, 2, 3, 6

This. Explained properly here – removing ep1 takes away a lot of boring stuff and confusing bits of plot; you can always go back and watch it later (along with the other films and TV stuff like Clone Wars).

You start with a film that’s pretty much self-contained and is best at establishing the main characters and the universe. You then get to the “I am your father” from Vader in Empire Strikes Back so you watch 2 and 3 to fill in the Anakin/Vader back story. You end with Return of the Jedi which has the best ending.

AlexSimon

But 2 and 3 are some of the worst films ever made! How can you possibly recommend them?
    If you want the backstory, it’s better to read a couple of paragraphs explaining them and fill in the gaps with your imagination than watch that bollocks.

imo

ctk
    Free Member

3 is not suitable for a 6 y-o.

Lego Star Wars shorts are good.

hols2
    Free Member

INTERIOR: NABOO LAKE RETREAT, LODGE, FIREPLACE ALCOVE – TWILIGHT

A fire blazes in the open hearth. PADMÉ and ANAKIN are sitting in front of it, gazing into the flames.

ANAKIN:
    From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven’t thought of you. And now that I’m with you again, I’m in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you- I can’t breathe. I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating, hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me. What can I do? I will do anything that you ask…

Silence. The logs flame in the hearth. PADMÉ meets his eye, then looks away.

ANAKIN:
    If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

PADMÉ:
    …I can’t. We can’t. It’s just not possible.

ANAKIN:
    Anything is possible, Padmé, listen to me…

PADMÉ:
    No, you listen! We live in a real world. Come back to it. You’re studying to become a Jedi. I’m – I’m a Senator. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, it will take us to a place we cannot go…regardless of the way we feel about each other.

ANAKIN:
    Then you do feel something!

PADMÉ:
    I will not let you give up your future for me.

ANAKIN:
    You’re asking me to be rational. That is something I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish that I could just wish away my feelings…but I can’t.

PADMÉ:
    I will not give in to this.

There is silence as they stare at the fire. ANAKIN is thinking.

ANAKIN:
    Well, you know it – it wouldn’t have to be that way…we could keep it a secret.

PADMÉ:
    We’d be living a lie – one we couldn’t keep even if we wanted to. I couldn’t do that. Could you, Anakin? Could you live like that?

ANAKIN:
    No. You’re right. It would destroy us.

shermer75
    Free Member

MACHETE!!!!

perchypanther
    Free Member

ANAKIN:
    – I can’t breathe.

Yeah mate, you can.

Famous for it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s because in the 1970’s films were a bit shit. Then Jaws and Star Wars arrived and forced Hollywood to up it’s game considerably.

Just no.  Not least for the fact that both Jaws and Star Wars were 1970s movies 😉

1970s:

Apocalypse Now

Deliverance

The Exorcist

Star Wars

The Omen

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

The Deer Hunter

Alien

Taxi Driver

The Godfather

Month Python’s Holy Grail

Dirty Harry

Manhattan

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Carrie

Marathon Man

Enter The Dragon

Mad Max

The Stepford Wives

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

The Wicker Man

Superman

So in effect the game was already ‘upped’ by the 1970s (compared to the sixties) and the 1980s somehwat lost the plot by going big on special effects  yet the content was effectively processed cheese from top to bottom.

perchypanther
    Free Member

70’s movies tended to be relatively bleak brutal affairs, mostly portraying  stories which were slightly exaggerated versions of real life scenarios. (I’ll give you the Exorcist though)

…e.g such excellent movies as

Apocalypse Now

Deliverance

One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest

The Deer Hunter

Taxi Driver

The Godfather

Dirty Harry

Marathon Man

The Wicker Man

….or such excellent  post star wars  movies as….

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Alien

Mad Max

Superman

The Exorcist  had the same effect on the horror genre that Star Wars did for the more mainstream films which is why there are many excellent post 1973 horror films on your list.

kelvin

We recently did…

R1 & IV

V & VI

VII

and then the new one at the cinema

nickc

Rouge one 45236

perchypanther
    Free Member

I wouldn’t watch Rogue One before ESB.

It would ruin the whole AT- AT Hoth ice battle sequence if you had already seen better animated AT-AT’s getting casually destroyed by X-Wings.

Harry_the_Spider

This is the order that my son watches them in.

4,6,2,3,7,R1,R1,R1,2,3,2,3,4,4,4,6,7,7,7,R1,4,4,R1,3,3,3,6.

He’s a kid. He just loves watching the films whilst playing with his action figures.

He can’t be bothered with 1, or 5 for that matter.

petec
    Free Member

just go for the Family Guy versions. Much better.

Although – having said that – the last couple of disneyfied ones have been okay.

They’re all on youtube

pictonroad

I have this dilemma, never seen them, (not my thing) but I have a 6yr that would probably enjoy them. Think I’ll just go in order, I doubt he’s sophisticated enough to get the ‘machete’ reasoning.

jimjam
    Free Member

DRAC

They’re kids films.

Obviously the original 3 were but it strikes me that the rest have been films designed to be like kids films but are aimed at adults. What’s the audience for Rogue One or the Han Solo franchise other than adults who are already invested?

nealglover
    Free Member

Do it old school style.

Watch the original trilogy now.

Wait 30 years.

Watch the others, if you can be arsed.

Or dont.

DickBarton

4, 5 then 6 and then Rogue One…the rest are all rehashes of the 4, 5 and 6 – so not really worth watching in my detail.

edhornby

HtS makes a good point, don’t worry too much about it – depends on your 6yo though, my 7yo can’t face any kind of peril or distress in a film and won’t watch films

you don’t have to fit Rogue1 in because the big yellow scroll does the job of the fill in

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘I’ve never seen starwars… which order?’ is closed to new replies.