Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,743 total)
  • It’s Premium Bonds draw day.
  • zippykona

Me and Mrs Zip got on board a couple of month ago.

Between us we have a very nice cars worth.

2 draws and I’ve won nothing and Mrs Zip £50.

Everyone told us that we’d win a couple of hundred quid just to get you excited and then it would tail off.

We seem have missed the first bit.

Has anyone on here accidentally won my money?

I’d like it back please.

martinhutch

So your current return x6 is what?

martymac

Ive had a couple of hundred in there since the 90s, total winnings equal about £70.

But, it’s only a couple of hundred, it’s hardly worth the trouble of getting it back.

Kryton57

£4k of bonds via a small monthly contribution, £175 won/reinvested automatically, so a 0.5% return?

Still, its a forgettable tax free monthly contribution which will have a little lump sum available for retirement with a chance of any kind of win helping to add to the pot.

My view is just leave it, wait 20 years and see whats their to pay off the mortgage/buy a car/go on hols at retirement age, a little “surprise” lump sum if you like.

Doh1Nut

Big fat zero – on £500 for three years

but it it was in the bank I would have 0.01% so not feeling too hard done by

edd

I got £100 this month (four £25 prizes), but nothing last month. I do have a lot invested though.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

I worked it out last year and the return was just about over what I would have received from a decent savings rate (not easy to get these days).  I live in hope of a decent prize but only picked up the £25ers so far.

Harry_the_Spider

MiL and wife have £60k. Won about £5k last year. Usually get £25 or £50 per month.

zippykona

Mrs Zip”s mum gets at least £75 a month.

jimdubleyou

We’ve got about £15k in there offsetting a £15k 0% credit card (we’ll use it to pay off if we ever need to)

Won £150 in last 6 months, so about a (roughly) 2% return, and similar in the 6 months before that IIRC.

It’s fine but I’m more playing it for the “big one”.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve had a few medium (less than a grand but still considerable sums) prizes  over the years usually 1 a year or so and maybe 6 -8 lots of 25 quid .

Calculations suggest it’s onpar with savings accounts. Although i could get a better return in shares i keep it as liquid funds

edd

Over the last 12 months I have received an actual return of 1.45%, this is against a claimed interest rate of 1.4%. Since this is tax free, and better than I can find in an ISA, the investment works for me. Also I still live in hope that I’ll win £1m sometime. 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting-ish reading.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds/

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/

Over the last year I have had a 8% return. I don’t believe this is the norm.

retrorick

£50 for me this month. First time I’ve won 2 prizes in one draw. Not won enough to buy a new bike yet.

bikebouy
    Free Member

My Mother bought me £75 worth when I was 21.. which is a long time ago now.. and I’ve won once… £75

What are the odds?

MrSparkle

Thanks for reminding – Mrs just checked and we’ve won £100. Wahoo!

gallowayboy

In between selling and buying our house we had two accounts at the maximum – over 10 months we got 2.5%. We needed instant access, so it suited us. Still keep the accounts live with £100 in each and use them for temporary extra funds. Not a gambler but I like the (remote) possibility of a bigger prize!

edd

What are the odds?

Currently 24,500 to 1 (the odds do change occasionally).

This means that if you have £50,000 invested, statistically you should win (just over) two prizes each month.

If you have £75 invested, statistically you will win once every 326.7 months (or once every 27 years).

clubby

Damn you lot! Who won my prizes this month? First time this year I’ve not had any but have been winning £100 a month recently. Again, treat it as liquid, tax free money as my rainy day fund.

deadkenny
    Free Member

£500 sat in there for last 20 or so years plus a few quid (since I was born, so 45!).

Have won the odd £25 a few times over last 10 years maybe. They’ve come in pairs, a £25 one month then another £25 the next, then nothing for years.

Probably £150 total won over all the years. Counting the main pot at say 20 years, 0.015% return per year.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Have had the odd £25 over the years but not much invested.

welshfarmer

I’ve have had a £1 bond since birth (lot of money over 50 years ago lol). Not won a cent since.

thepurist

Just reminded me to chuck a few quid into them – ta

edd

To be fair, if you have £1 invested, you should win once every 24,500 months, which is once every 2,042 years. I’m not that surprised you haven’t won yet!

EDIT: That said I have a friend with a similar investment, which I told him was a waste of time (for the above reason). His response was that he doesn’t play the lottery, but wanted to provide God with a means with which to give him a big win, just in case the big man felt that way inclined one day. 🙂

welshfarmer

According to an online inflation calculator my pound should now be worth £17.25. I guess that wasn’t a wise investment then since all I have is a piece of paper worth a pound 🙁

PrinceJohn

I’ve got premium bonds! Had them for 35 years, to my knowledge I’ve not won a thing.

NZCol

Good prompt, just needed to shift some cash out of bank for a period so whacked 20k into bonds ! I look forward to a tax free million tonight ….

pedlad

Might be worth you checking – they may just be auto-reinvesting winnings

https://www.nsandi.com/

poolman
    Free Member

I have some and after 6 months am averaging 1.5%, that’s tax free and the capital is guaranteed so not a bad return.  Cash is parked in there awaiting a better home, so may be there a while.

Any new investors check the expected returns on the mse website, due to the min 25 gbp prize the avg 1.5% only equates to prizes at a certain level.

bruneep

sweet **** all after 4yrs

CraigW
    Free Member

I’ve had £100 in for the last 30 years, never won anything. Topped it up to £500 a few months ago, and still nothing.

But at least it can be easily withdrawn if required, and probably wouldn’t get much from an instant access savings account anyway.

imnotverygood

We’ve got quite  few Bonds & 10 years ago managed to win £1000, which was nice. I don’t think I’ve won more than £25 on a single Bond for at least three years, but I do get a steady-ish income. Given current interest rates I can’t grumble.

MrSmith
    Free Member

people saying they have won bugger all and not saying how many they hold??…

had 15k a few years ago before drawing them out for a property purchase and most months had a £25 and had the odd £100. was definitely up on the average after holding them for about 3 years.

been buying £200 a month for nearly a year and had nothing so far.

LS
    Free Member

My daughter was bought £1,000 worth when she was born by my mum (who used to run a Post Office and so was big into National Savings and the like) which proceeded to win another £1,000 worth in the very first draw they were eligible for 😀

I think they’re up to £3,000+ worth now with no further input over the last 14 years.

footflaps

Guy in my office won £1025 today.

olly2097
    Free Member

My cousin won £100k.

I’ve had £3k for two years. Add to it every month. Never done anything .

zippykona

Mrs Zip £75 ….Zip nil.

dmck16
    Free Member

Just scored 25 quid.

Holding 3k for just over a year now, brings total returns up to £75 🤷🏻‍♂️

poolman
    Free Member

I won 75 yesterday, usually only get 25 or 50 per month.  Stll ticking over at 1 to 1.5% so q happy.

Look at the profile of big prize winners- shows where the winner lives, holding and when purchased.  Was always a myth it was southern recent purchases, I think that was just the bias of purchasers.

onewheelgood

I’ve had 200 since I was born in 1959. Never won anything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,743 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.