Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • It’s a bike forum, so can we discuss cars? ;)
  • Alex

My 5 series touring (PCP) is going back sometime between now and December. BMW are increasingly desperate for me to buy something else from them. COVID-19 has changed lots for me – far less travelling (was doing 20k PA) and with the kids either at Uni or driving themselves, need for a ‘big’ car has gone.

We’re going to run with one car for me and my better half. She currently has a Fabia and doesn’t want anything much bigger. Tricky set of requirements then

– Hybrid preferred – so much of our (rural) mileage is 6 miles to town or 12 miles to bigger town 🙂 So I like Plug-in options with 30+ mile range.

– Estate/Hatch. Probably hatch so I can get a bike in (wheel off) and a labrador. But not at the same time!

– Not much bigger than a Fabia. So Golf sized has been accepted as the baseline.

– Not much else, if I was still driving lots I’d be looking at auto cruise control etc but I really can’t see me going back to it.

I quite liked the BMW 1 series but no Hybrid. The X1 is (apparently) too big and ugly. I’ve been looking at a Golf GTE (but hard to source) or something similar.  Expect 10k miles a year max and we’ll do a 4 year deal this time.

Any thoughts? I’ve been doing some research and nothing has really stood out. BMW have a lightly used 330E saloon which was great to drive but fails to meet any of my requirements This didn’t stop them trying extremely hard to sell it to me 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Unimog.

You know it makes sense.

RustySpanner

New Jazz Hybrid?

Not cheap, but they look excellent. Crazy amount of space inside.

Alex

Unimog.

I know it makes sense. Carol (my long suffering wife) may argue – with some justification that this fails to meet requirement#1. Oh and #2 as well 🙂

Oooh Rusty, that’s a good shout. We had a Jazz for 8 years and abused the heck out of it and it WOULD NOT DIE. Right I’ll go look at one of those.

flyingmonkeycorps

The inlaws have just got a Corolla hybrid, which is a lovely looking thing. Theirs isn’t a plug in though.

Cougar

When I was looking at hire cars last year the Merc A-class was one the cheapest in the “cars I’d actually want to own” category. Seems they do a hybrid too.

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/a-class/hatchback-w177/plugin-hybrid/key-stats.module.html

If you’re just handing it back after the lease period expires, PCH is probably cheaper than PCP. The whole point of PCP is to pay more of it off so that it’s cheaper for you to buy at the end. PCH doesn’t officially give you a purchase option but the last one I handed back asked me if I wanted to buy it before it went to auction.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Is a mini clubman hybrid on the horizon?

Kryton57

Thinking the same we and we are thinking a Volvo XC40 recharge.  Slightly bigger comfy hatch SUV style with good hybrid Tech and a bit more upmarket that some.

Alex

Merc A-class was one the cheapest in the “cars I’d actually want to own” category.

Never had a Merc. But that does look like it would meet requirements. Cheaper than a Golf as well. Which I can’t get my head round!

Is a mini clubman hybrid on the horizon?

Not on mine 🙂

@kryton57
    – a friend has an xc40. It’s a great car. But bigger than we need. I nearly bought an xc60 instead of my 5 series. Comfiest seats ever!

Alex

PCH is probably cheaper than PCP

I might even business lease it. As it’s my company. Although based on number of miles I’m intending (not) to do, this might not make sense,

bails

You might struggle to get a modern bike in a hatch with one wheel still on. There’s no way I’d get my (admittedly large, 29er) FS in my (MK2) Focus with either wheel still on.

willard

I see a few of thee new Corolla Hybrids around these parts and they look quite nice. Not too big, not too small, decent styling and look good with decent wheels.

They should take roof rack too for bikes.

Alex

The inlaws have just got a Corolla hybrid

We did look at those earlier. Same as the Jazz, self charging which is not ideal. But significant cheaper than plug ins.

Cougar

Cheaper than a Golf as well. Which I can’t get my head round!

The probably overly-simplistic answer is, “prestige” marques tend to depreciate slower.

Cougar

You might struggle to get a modern bike in a hatch with one wheel still on.

Worth considering as well, those batteries have to go somewhere. On the admittedly rare occasions I’ve looked at a hybrid, a good chunk of boot space was lost because of it.

chestrockwell

The whole point of PCP is to pay more of it off so that it’s cheaper for you to buy at the end.

No it’s not. Plenty now leave you with nothing at the end to keep payments down. Those that do do it to give you a deposit on your next PCP. The last thing they want you to do is buy it!

I might even business lease it.

Full electric then? No BIK at the moment so leases are cheap. Thought about the BMW i3s? I have one, you can fit a bike in and it’s ace!

Alex

The space is definitely a concern – also for large dog!  The majority of the time I need to transport a bike, it’s using a towbar rack. The BMW was almost to nice inside to get dirty but I’ve been chucking dusty bikes in this summer.

It’s that compromise between getting something that’s big enough for me and small enough for Carol. I could just turn up with a clean bike and see how well it fits. Bonus is it’s likely to upset the sales person 🙂

There is a hybrid coming for the 1 series but it’s going to be stupid money based on the cost of the current non hybrid versions.

Alex

I guess the other question is: the significant extra cost of a PHEV versus the overall reduced MPG of a self charging one (like the Honda and Toyota mentioned above).

We both really like the idea of not burning fuel on short journeys, but overall I wonder what the real environmental difference is between the two over 4 years.

Alex

No it’s not. Plenty now leave you with nothing at the end to keep payments down. Those that do do it to give you a deposit on your next PCP. The last thing they want you to do is buy it!

Hence BMW offering me a monster ‘trade up’ for returning my 10,000 UNDER mileage 5 series. Honestly if they had a car I wanted, I’d buy it just to save the hassle.

Full electric then? No BIK at the moment so leases are cheap. Thought about the BMW i3s? I have one, you can fit a bike in and it’s ace

I’m soooo tempted. But I’m bad enough when I’m down to 1/4 of a tank of diesel! I just think the range anxiety would be a problem based on the UKs somewhat rubbish charging infrastructure…

johndoh
    Free Member

The current Mercs are great – get an AMG Premium spec one and get a vehicular equivalent of a 68″ widescreen telly for a dashboard…

They come complete with augmented reality sat nav 😂

Alex

They come complete with augmented reality sat nav

I now know what’s been missing in my life 😉

The Hybrid Mercs don’t get great reviews. The thought of test driving lots of cars fills me with no joy whatsoever. If I needed the space, I’d just buy my current car. But only because it means I’d only have to visit a showroom once…

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah my current car is up for renewal shortly so I have just ordered a new one on the back of it ticking all the boxes – I got to sit in one but didn’t actually get to drive it.

And yes, one of the boxes was augmented reality satnav 😉

Kryton57

I could just turn up with a clean bike and see how well it fits. Bonus is it’s likely to upset the sales person

I did this with my former 120d, my Salesman had decided to have the day off and the receptionist overseeing the exercise was a bag of nerves.

Jamze

Could you do full EV? TBH I thought my hybrid was a lot of faff and it was no better on mpg than a decent modern petrol when you worked it out.

Is the new VW EV appearing on lease lists yet?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/volkswagen/id3/352483/new-volkswagen-id3-2020-review-pictures

A mate has an i3, that’s interesting. Not sure you’d get an MTB in the back though, although it is bigger inside than you’d think.

simon_g

Golf GTE is pretty good, I liked mine. But if you do limited mileage and tend to hand back, I’d be looking at the Renault Zoe PCH deals at the moment. Yes, full electric but over 200 mile range means it should handle longer trips easily too.

johndoh
    Free Member

That new VW EV has the best looking grille of any EV I have seen so far – many of them just look like the designer didn’t know what to do now they don’t need to consider engine cooling. Yes Tesla, I am looking at you.

Yack – they remind me of…

Alex

Could you do full EV?

Maybe for our next car. Not sure the ID3 will be here in time and I expect there will be some very long lead times.

I keep circling round the ‘is PHEV just a transitional technology’ and would it be better to bite the bullet and go full EV or save a bunch of cash and maybe take a 24 month lease on a petrol.

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you discuss cars?

Hybrid preferred

Yes, you may.

Cletus

The greenest thing you could do would be to buy your current car and run it for a few more years. I get that it is probably too big for your wife though.

Would they do you a good deal on the BMW 225xe Active Tourer Plug-in Hybrid? – looks like it fits the bill size wise.

tenfoot

The new Octavia comes with a PHEV option I believe.
    Or Hyundai Ionic PHEV although that’s a bit long in the tooth

jimdubleyou

We’re going to have to get a new car in the next year or so to remain ulez compliant.

Ford are doing 0% interest on the PHEV kuga, which is getting good ish reviews.

If I’m honest, I would prefer a Tesla but a) don’t have a driveway and b)don’t have the money.

PHEV seems like it will work for us – wife’s commute is within range, and she can charge at work every couple of days.

Just need a test drive now…

frankconway

Alex & PP, Unimog for weekdays but must be AMG black edition.
    For weekends I suggest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrUVMdkb4_k
    I know it’s a little modest but has that je ne sais quoi.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Unimog.

I know it makes sense. Carol (my long suffering wife) may argue – with some justification that this fails to meet requirement#1. Oh and #2 as well 🙂

Unimogs are compact*!

*Next to a Zetros.

Alex

Would they do you a good deal on the BMW 225xe Active Tourer Plug-in Hybrid? – looks like it fits the bill size wise.

We’re going to look at one this weekend. I guess it depends on the deal. It’s not my first choice but since the priorities are a car we can both drive, it might be the best compromise.

Ford are doing 0% interest on the PHEV kuga, which is getting good ish reviews.

It’s a shed load of cash tho. I was surprised how expensive even the base models are. I guess we’ll add it to the list.

The new Octavia comes with a PHEV option I believe

Might not pass the size test, but I’ve driven a few of those when my Yeti(s) were being serviced. Defo an option I hadn’t thought of. I really like Skoda’s, shame they don’t do the Karoc with a PHEV yet. Still again blooming expensive.

chestrockwell

A mate has an i3, that’s interesting. Not sure you’d get an MTB in the back though, although it is bigger inside than you’d think.

You can. 😉

plyphon
    Free Member

BMW have been left behind in the past few years, not really keeping up with what people want. Too much focus on their big saloons.

Though saying that, their new 3 touring with the m340i engine looks incredible. Expensive though.

If you really want electric, you’re shopping at the worst time imo. I think give it another 2-3 years and they’ll be many more options out there. We’re just on the cusp, but the only real players are few and far between.

Jag have a electric SUV that looks alright, but… it’s a Jag. And electric. Not a combo I’d be keen on.

johndoh
    Free Member

BMW have been left behind in the past few years, not really keeping up with what people want. Too much focus on their big saloons.

I tend to agree – their SUVs all look awful, especially the X1 and X2 (although they do seem to have just about got on top of the styling issues with the very latest models coming out).

Alex

I’m not a fan of the BMW X series. I liked my touring and I’ve driven the new 3 series and it’s really nice. But the 330E touring is north of 40k. Nothing is that nice!

Popped into the Skoda dealer (where we’ve bought 3 cars so they seemed okay with me turning up a bit stinky after a ride 🙂 ). Fella there told me PHEV Octavia’s are mid next year for UK delivery 🙁 Had a look around at a standard one and was impressed.

They offered to sell me a demonstrator and buy it back at at agreed price to tide me over between mine going back and the new ones being available. I’m thinking about that as an option.

Of everything I’ve looked at, that Octavia is probably the current best option.

tenfoot

I think the new one looks pretty decent. Mid next year for a PHEV though! I was considering me of those myself but not until next year. Wonder if it’s a rolling waiting list.

Alex

Apparently Skoda haven’t told them yet! No pricing or anything. Just Q1 or Q2. They can’t even order them apparently. I guess that engine is used in lots of different cars across their whole range.

Everything in the showroom looks pretty well sorted now. I did pine after a couple of 2nd hand Yeti’s.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘It’s a bike forum, so can we discuss cars? ;)’ is closed to new replies.