Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • iphone repair help!
  • brakes
    Free Member

the backlight has gone on my iphone, does anyone know what might be wrong with it and how much it might cost to repair?
    also, has anyone booked an appointment with an Apple retail store? will they be able to answer these questions or will they just say 'it's broken we'll have to send it off for repair'?

I've checked the internet but it's full of 'tards and so is my O2 shop

zokes
    Free Member

Funny, I was told when musing about an iPhone that Apple are the "Rolls Royce of the electronics industry" and therefore didn't need to give more than a 1-year warranty on a 24-month contract phone. When I pointed out my 2.5 year old SE was still covered by Three, mr O2 manager didn't have much of an answer…

brakes
    Free Member

it 'may' be my fault that it's broken, but you didn't hear me say that

MrNutt
    Free Member

heh heh, welcome to the real side of Apple, the only support they'll give you is paid for by you, even if its a known fault in every country with thousands of upset people its often a very cold day in hell before they will admit to it! 😀 (I speak from bitter experience!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I took out insurance with mine, which isn't cheap, but that basically means it's covered for the life of the contract. I'm clumsy and I might, err, 'drop' mine at some point. You never know….

br
    Free Member

A bit like in the Sony shop and TV Salesman that said "Sony TV's were for life" – so you'll be throwing in 5 year cover for free, says I?

NO

Walked out and went to John Lewis instead, 'cos they do.

Haze

Send it to Apple for repair if it's still under warranty.

Had a very quick response when I sent my Touch off for repair in the summer.

Even if they did tell me to **** off.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you got it wet, you have broken the warranty, and they will know about it (little damp detecting sticker inside it).

Apple shop will be able to tell you how much it'll cost to repair. It will probably be >£100 for anything other than a very minor fault.

Joe

nickc

Mine developed a fault on the touch screen I just called o2 and they replaced it the next working day, although mine is on a business contract so may be different

brakes
    Free Member

probably be >£100

is there a basis for this? or are you guessing? If they are going to replace the screen then I would probably pay up to £100 as I'm only 3 months into an 18 month contract. but if they just have a blanket charge for any repairs and you just end up with a 'reconditioned' iphone then…

has anyone used an unofficial 'back of a chinese restaurant' type repairer or done it themselves and sourced parts from ebay?

pinches
    Free Member

if you fancy having a go yourself, this is the website for you

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/

clubber
    Free Member

How much is your insurance PP? For my iPhone it's £6 a month which is what my N95 was costing. I reckoned that was reasonable enough for an expensive phone

nickc

you just end up with a 'reconditioned' iphone then…

That's what I got, you not know though.

brakes
    Free Member

well I booked an appointment with the Apple retail store on Regent Street, took my phone along to try and see what it was going to cost me to repair…
    … and walked away with a brand new replacement

very pleased with that outcome obviously, couldn't work out whether it was genuinely good customer service or whether I just lucked-out with a kind (or lazy) employee
    😀

brakes
    Free Member

and now I can finally download and play Jetcar Stunts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘iphone repair help!’ is closed to new replies.