Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Inspire me – race day toolbox
  • krixmeister

I have my too-heavy-to-carry bike toolbox in the home workshop, but need to put together a race day (for 12/24/other multi-lap endurance races) toolbox. I’m guessing it needs to be long enough to hold headset spanners or a fork pump, and deep enough to hold a bottle of Stans. And other usual assortment of tools/spare bits/etc. I’m also thinking smooth sides to display an ironic and well-curated assortment of bike and beer sticker personalisation.

Ideas/inspiration?

spooky_b329

Bucket organiser!

It goes over a standard bucket, small tools outside, big tools inside, bottles of Stans/cleaning brushes/bulky spares like mechs in the middle.

Also means you have a bucket with you, and makes a good bin (just unclip the organiser and you can tip the rubbish out.

I use one at work.  (sorry, does not meet your requirement of sticker space!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

” I’m guessing it needs to be long enough to hold headset spanners ”

headset spanners ? is this 24 hour race in the 90s ?

I just use a 16″ stanley box – cost 8.99.

into which i transfer a selection of the required tools from my tool box.

Stans bottle goes in the bucket which i take anyway as buckets are always handy.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Check out the ews tool wrap that was on the homepage a few years ago?

ninfan
    Free Member

Canvas tool roll.

far more practical, can sit in your kit bag rather than needing to be carried around separately, doesn’t rattle in the car and you can roll it out on a flat surface to access all your tools, perfectly organised

kiwijohn

I’m still using the one I made in metal work in 1986.

superleggero
    Free Member

I can recommend the C K Magma tool roll. Very well made, sturdy, and a great size for bike tools. In terms of maximum length of bike tool it will accommodate I’ve got a Park SR1 chain whip which is about 14 inches long in mine, so should take a fork pump. Uses buckles to secure and has a carrying handle.

Takes quite a lot of stuff and lays it out quite nicely so everything is to hand. You can combine with a cheap bucket for carrying bottles of fluids, aerosols, cloths etc. You can fit the tool roll end-on in the bucket for transportation and still have plenty of room for other items.

£12.80 on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/C-k-Magma-MA2718-Tool-Roll/dp/B00517FFRU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1525696626&sr=8-1&keywords=c+k+magma+tool+roll

Here’s a Googled pic of the tool roll loaded with a few bike tools to give an idea of size and layout:

C K Magma Tool Roll

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Another item filed under “things I never knew I needed until I opened the thread”…

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Another vote for the tool roll. Mine goes in a big Very Useful Box which holds all my spares and sprays/lub. Then this goes in the back of the car.

Northwind

A tool roll thrown in your big box of kit, without too much stuff in it, is a good idea. Me, I just have a tube, a bigger pump, and multitool- anything else can stay in the car because a repair that needs any more tools than that is a disaster regardless of how handy the tools are.

Personally I wouldn’t want either a nice carryable toolbox, or something open like a tool bag or bucket- the former’s a bit easy to walk away with, the latter a bit too easy to spot things in and “borrow”. And I don’t mean that in an entirely nasty way- I’ve no objections to someone in need using my tools but in the heat of racing especially with exhaustion and that, things might not get back to where they came from.

lornholio
    Free Member

Blue IKEA bag.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Inspire me – race day toolbox’ is closed to new replies.