• This topic has 2,513 replies, 166 voices, and was last updated 3 days ago by HobNob.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,514 total)
  • Weeksy08 the ongoing racing trials and tribulations of a crazy teen
  • weeksy

Well that went about as smoothly as it’s possible to do so.

Ordered yesterday from CRC and paid for DPD delivery, which arrived nicely…. Went on easy, set and configured with no issues.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oBrPix]2023-05-19_02-28-21[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oBrPg8]2023-05-19_02-28-17[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oBmSVz]2023-05-19_02-28-11[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Of course, all of this means that on run1 of practice, he’ll stick it in a tree and explode it into 1000 pieces 😀 😀

fazzini

Went on easy, set and configured with no issues.

I converted my old 3×9 to a shiny new 1×11 during lockdown including mech. Easy?? Took me 3 days to figure out what the heck I was doing 😂 Kudos on your spannering skills @weeksy! Also, guaranteed to have a mech/tree interface now too

weeksy

Kudos on your spannering skills @weeksy!

I’m getting better.. I still don’t do suspension internals, but everything else i’m fine with. Depending on timescales and how many bikes/events i still out-source the odd thing to LBS though, like this week with the Hope caliper service. It’s not that i couldn’t do it, just sometimes the priorities differ at times.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We’ll have beer, snacks, BBQ etc if you want to join in for a bit of chat.

It’s a nice morning so I will pop over on the road bike (bright orange KTM)

I’ve sent you a PM.

Duncan

dc1988

If you have any spare forks sitting around then practice a service on them, it’s a lot easier than you might think. I used to avoid suspension but I now enjoy it and find it more satisfying than any other servicing.

Just make sure you are clear about how to do the service (loads of tutorials and videos online), have a nice big area clean and clear and have everything set out beforehand.

Isopropyl alcohol and lots of shop towel are also very useful to keep everything super clean and oil/grease free.

weeksy

Oh that was a weekend… once again fraught with entertainment.

Sat started well, with early bacon, coffee at Greggs, then up to the track… get set up handy and out for 6-7 practice runs, a few tyres swaps to test things for him and lots of chatting with the coach and teammates. He had a blast and loved the track.

I was a little busier in the pits as one of our riding/racing mates was having a few problems. He races in Juvenile class and had blown up his shock so was basically stuffed. Out came the purple Fury and he was sent out on it to ride for a test. After 1 run he declared his love for the GT and went out for the rest of the day/weekend on it, looking excellent and giving me a massive thumbs up every time he went past the gazebo.

Half way through the afternoon, a bloke comes over looking very sorry for himself, he’s lost the pivot flip-chip and bolt for his shock… How surprised was he when i had one in spares. He was beside himself with pleasure, even more so when after noticing a few issues with his setup, i transformed his handling by changing his pivot from low to high which meant he was running a better head angle for the mullet. I then noticed his bearing on his idler was seized so set about changing that for him. He rocked up the next morning with beer and cider as a thank you.

Morning practice was sunny and hot… the boys were going well, including the lad on purple Fury who was out on it again.

Race time soon came upon us and purple boy stuck the spare bike in 12th place on run 1.

My boy went out, came down, according to the commentator was 2s off at the split. As he came into the arena, he stacked it MASSIVELY !!! Within about 10m of where he stacked it this time last year in the same event !!! He cartwheeled off the track and Mrs Weeksy went rushing to help him. A minute or so later he was back on his feet, gave me a look and i moved the tape and he went and finished the run to a round of applause from the crown… and much “WTF” from Mrs Weeksy.

The discussions started. He’d lost his footing/pedal on the way into the drop and couldn’t get it back… Which is where it went wrong. But as well as that he once again complained of lever problems with his front brake. Every now and again it comes back to the bar, but then re-finds itself after a few pulls. We’d had this at both Rheola and Fort William, hence why this Tues i gave the brakes to the LBS who stripped pistons from calipers, overhaled them with new seals, fluid and a service kit all round… I was hoping that would be the end of it, but once again, no. They Hope Tech3 V4s, some say they’re prone to the issue.

While he was in med-center and getting pain killers i set about stripping the brakes off and fitting a set of SRAM CodeR. They’re very much a known quantity to me and whilst they may not have the outright performance of the Hopes, IMO they work well, work simply. A quick bleed and we were away. Gave them a few runs on the grass to bed them in a bit.

He then mentioned the headset lol, so that was stripped out and top bearing replaced as well.

I sent him back out… much to the despair of Mrs Weeksy who was “we’re not going home?”…. Errrrm no, says the boy, i’m going out for run2. lol.

As he was struggling to move, stand and get on the bike, she wasn’t happy… but the adrenaline kicked in as did the pain killer and out he went for it.

As we walked up, purple guy came down for run 2 and stuck the spare bike into 9th, his best finish at a Pearce race !!!! Awesome… He was pretty chuffed i can tell you.

15 mins later the boy came down and stuck it in for a final result of 24/45. But that only tells half the story… His teammate Drew is often quicker than him, but Drew ended up 25th. Not only that, but the gaps to the top 10 racers is again a lot closer for the lad, he doesn’t need to pick up MASSES of seconds…

We were looking at his time today, 3min 32s. Last year he did a 4min 26 for 19/25. So nearly a minute quicker.. there’s a couple of minor differences in the layout, but very much the same track.

We’re back home now and i’ll be on Pinkbike/Ebay/somewhere tomorrow working out what brakes he’ll be running from now on. I can tell you this, it won’t be the Hopes, he’s lost confidence in them and in truth, so have I. Whilst they may be up to Trail/Enduro… For DH something seems off with them.

Beer o’clock and feet up 🙂

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oBWTUr]2023-05-21_08-29-55[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

It’s a nice morning so I will pop over on the road bike (bright orange KTM)

I’ve sent you a PM.

Duncan

No signal ALL weekend at track… sorry buddy… I didn’t see any bike though

bigdaddy

Wow, a weekend full of drama! Well done all of you, bet Mrs Weeksy needs a drink 😳😂

Tracey

Sounds like you both had a good weekend. 👍

weeksy

Video thanks to funky dunk.

Tell you what, he wasn’t that quick on run 2. Damn.

He now looks like he has a tattoo of a back protector with the wavey ridges on his back.

weeksy

Looking at the results that are now out, he was 19th on the first half of run 1…. 3s quicker than his 2nd run. Which i expect will both please and slightly disappoint him in equal amounts. But it does hopefully show him that he’s got top 20 pace if he’s on it.

But also he was only 17.8% from the Youth winner, which is his closest finish… Once you accept that even more than that, MAdley who rides for Madison Saracen was 9s quicker than 2nd place, well, it shows that the lads are both right in the melting pot.

The team out in practice together 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2oC3tZR]randr-photo-10401227-2000px-by-c-jarman[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

fazzini

Top effort Team @weeksy. Has Mrs Weeksy recovered yet?

weeksy

LOL i don’t think so @fazzini . she’s currently washing kit, i’ve just finished cleaning both bikes… Lunchtime they’ll get fully checked, lubed and put away again. I think a mother and a father react very differently to kids stacking it. I was pragmatic and my priority was getting his headset sorted, replace and then removing the Hopes and fitting the Codes, i was pretty focused on that, so what was happening with him, wasn’t my concern (sort of).

But it’s the nature of the sport, the game they/we all play is a dangerous sport and stacking it is one of those things.

There’ll be some analysis and some post-race thoughts from us, him and the coach. However it was also an exceptional weekend for the team with some proper bonding with the lads, they spent every minute together, every run together, lots of discussions, lots of race chat… So it was exceptionally useful.
    My, mrs weeksy and the other parents did BBQ, banter and had a brilliant time… even if the sun came up about 4.20am lol. All in all, we’re all pretty happy with the weekend. As always, there’s lessons, but again, that’s the nature of the beast.

frogstomp

We’re back home now and i’ll be on Pinkbike/Ebay/somewhere tomorrow working out what brakes he’ll be running from now on.

If he likes the Codes then the RSCs are discounted on CRC / Wiggle which brings them down to around second hand prices – gives you the benefits (over the Rs) of the Swinglink lever and contact point adjustment.

weeksy

Unless i’m missing something they’re £200 for a front…. i can get a pair 2nd hand for £200.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/p/sram-code-rsc-disc-brake

frogstomp

Unless i’m missing something they’re £200 for a front….

Just get two rears and cut the hose down (which you are likely to need to do anyway).. levers are ambidextrous.

weeksy

Yeah but that’s still £400 instead of £200.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374703040753

frogstomp

Yeah but that’s still £400 instead of £200.

Looks like there are 2 listings. The ones I linked to are £109 each?

weeksy

Looks like there are 2 listings. The ones I linked to are £109 each?

Mmmmm that’s a bit strange isn’t it… I’d like to see a pic of the back as it doesn’t describe them as being Bleeding Edge, i’ve got an older Code in the spares that is non-bleeding-edge and it’s a must have. I’ll ping CRC a message… but thank you 🙂 Not a massive hurry on this as we’re not racing DH for a few weeks now as it’s Enduro, birthday rides and bike parks for a few weekends. Bit of a rest/relaxation i think/hope.

frogstomp

Mmmmm that’s a bit strange isn’t it…

My guess is that the cheap ones have been taken off (or were destined for) complete bikes – hence the multitude of non-standard length options. One of the comments also suggests they are the normal bolts, rather than rainbow Ti ones shown in the picture.

weeksy

One of the comments also suggests they are the normal bolts, rather than rainbow Ti ones shown in the picture.

hence the multitude of non-standard length options.

Neither part of that would bother me at all. I’ve done enough SRAM brakes in terms of hose lengths etc so it’s no biggy… I’ll see what CRC say.

weeksy

Race run 2…. the boy still trying despite the pain !

I can’t post the pics of his injuries as it’d be nearly naked teenage boy pics lol… that may get frowned upon….

weeksy

@dc1988

If you have any spare forks sitting around then practice a service on them, it’s a lot easier than you might think. I used to avoid suspension but I now enjoy it and find it more satisfying than any other servicing.

Just make sure you are clear about how to do the service (loads of tutorials and videos online), have a nice big area clean and clear and have everything set out beforehand.

Isopropyl alcohol and lots of shop towel are also very useful to keep everything super clean and oil/grease free

Just to pick up on this, it’s not that i can’t do them, i’ve watched a set of Boxxers being done and they’re pretty easy i agree, just sometimes with work, life, the enduro bike, the DH bikes, my own bike, plus riding, family and general life things, it’s easier to farm out a few bits of the work. Drop it off and collect it a couple of days later knowing it’s all done and sorted nicely. We’ve got loads going on and sometimes there’s just no way to keep on top of it all.

steveh

It was an amazing start to the Pearce season. They’re the best races around bar none and the track, sunshine and flawless uplift made it an amazing weekend. The weekend come down is hitting hard today!

weeksy

Less spectacular than last year… but still fairly hefty…Funky Dunks video above shows the speed as his vid ends about 1s before he comes into sight on this one.

bigdaddy

oof!!!! You know that’s gonna hurt when it ends! Healing vibes and a big well done for finishing that run after that at 14! My lad would’ve been crying in a corner and never riding again…

weeksy

I guess it says a bit for his Fox full armour jacket he wears… it took a bit of a smack.

The DHers are a different breed. One of the girls in the 13-14 i was chatting to her day, she has brothers who race too. “How did she get on in run1..” “i think she’s broken her finger in a crash, we’re just bandaging it up for run2”

That’s just how they roll… We were mocking Mrs Weeksy… “Nah, it’s fine i’ll just firm it”.. (she hates that phrase).

The thing is though, after he got back on his bike and rolled over the line with that crash, he’d not ridden his bike before run 2. I’d be taking time to get back into it, easy myself down a gentle run to make sure i was OK, him though, he just went straight into race run 2… LOL.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Awesome writeup.
    But you do need to have serious words with the cameraman ( woman?) of that truncated clip 😉

weeksy

But you do need to have serious words with the cameraman ( woman?) of that truncated clip

Apparently one of the definitions of how much you love your child is based upon how long after the crash starts you continue filming for 😀

weeksy

If anyone is still paying close attention you’ll recall I swapped the main pivot bearings on the purple bike a few weeks ago.
    I was moving the primary blue race bike round the garage to hang it up for a week or two. “Hmmm is that play somewhere” I think to myself.
    5 minutes later I’ve traced it to the same pivot bearings, they’re also the same ones I replaced on Nathan’s bike in Fort William for him.
    Let’s just say, they feel as bad as they look.

2023-05-22_06-23-20

2023-05-22_06-23-02

2023-05-22_06-23-15

2023-05-22_06-23-08

One was pretty much 0 movement, the other was slightly better but horrible.

Now replaced with expensive Enduro bearings.

Just need to throw it all back together

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apparently one of the definitions of how much you love your child is based upon how long after the crash starts you continue filming for

Agreed. He’ll be well pissed at whichever parent that was that lost him 20k views on you tube shorts.

weeksy

Looked at his brakes. Mmmm not the best pads in them.

2023-05-22_08-26-31

Out with the old, in with the new and a bleed. Checked and cleaned all pistons and all moving nicely.

Still not sure what will be getting bought to replace Hopes yet. Or whether they’ll go in the box of spares and just leave these Codes on.

weeksy

thanks @frogstomp

Confirmed all details with CRC this morning and bought the RSCs.

frogstomp

Great – I really like mine.

When you are bleeding them I would recommend setting the contact adjustment dial to somewhere around the middle. The SRAM bleed procedure specifies winding it completely to one end – which then seems to only give you the ability to dial in more pad clearance, rather than less (to make contact more bitey).

joebristol

Race matrix is great for 3 seasons of the year – but when it gets biblically muddy they can get overwhelmed. So I tend to use them most of the year and go for standard sram sintered pads when it gets really mucky.

weeksy

Happily, they share pads between the RSCs and Codes, so whichever set of brakes are primary doesn’t matter in the pad context. But we’ll certainly give the RSCs a whirl, even if i throw them on the purple bike to test out and see. But i’m pretty sure he’ll be happy with either set 🙂

Will be out on the Slayer and Privateer later anyway, but that may persuade me to fit some of the Race Matrix pads into his Privateer as he’s not 100% sold on them on there…. but it seems pads really do make a difference.

The big question of course, is whether he’ll be able to ride today…He’s still struggling but doesn’t want to miss a session and as we have no racing for a few weeks, there’s no massive pressure to get fit. I’m 50-50 as to how bright an idea it is lol.

weeksy

Code RSCs fitted and installed on the GT Fury. He’ll be testing it quite a lot next week as we’ve got multiple days out on the DH bike.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2oCYcBZ]2023-05-26_10-33-50[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

I’ll get him to bed them in first of course. But they’re installed, hose trimmed to length and re-bled to around about his preference in terms of lever feel. I’ll be curious to see if he can run these a little closer to the bar and still get good pressure as he was running the Tech3’s quite far out we felt, which may have been part of the resason he’s getting hand ache… but that could also just be the levels of intensity of some of the courses he’s been racing on.

We’ve got a few interesting developments in terms of 2024 race bikes, so just waiting to see how they all pan out, but in truth i don’t think he’ll be on a Fury next year.

spawnofyorkshire

@weeksy – did you manage to decipher the CRC website on those Code RSC’s? I haven’t a clue what they mean and I’m after a set F&R

weeksy

Well they all come with Code RSCs…. The other rubbish is just the bracketry on caliper end. IS60 is International Standard etc… PM is post mount…. none of which matter as mine just bolt onto frame. So the bits just go in spare/bin.

For info, they come with standard bolts, not rainbow, but VERY important they don’t come with bar clamps. I went to fit them, nothing…. I ping CRC on chat and they were VERY helpful.
    They sent me a link to them on Amazon and told me to order there or SJS and they’d instantly refund me the £32 for the clamps… bit weird i will say, but i’m happy. For now i’ve used the clamps off the Codes.

“I have had a look into this and unfortunately with the 57% off the SRAM Code RSC Rear RH Disc Brake these would look to be an OEM brake.
    However, with this not being listed as ‘ Please note, Centerline rotor and Matchmaker Band clamp NOT included’ (like with the SRAM Code R Rear RH Disc Brake) if you would be ok to order the Avid MMX Bar Clamp locally or as below please send us the receipt and we can have this refunded;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avid-Clamp-Stainless-Elixir-11-5315-048-070/dp/B00AZYG45Q/ref=asc_df_B00AZYG45Q/? “

Viewing 40 posts - 1,801 through 1,840 (of 2,514 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.