Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 280 total)
  • Inanimate objects which are pricks
    bigginge

As it’s pancake day I’d like to nominate digital kitchen scales. I understand why they have an automatic power off feature but why the **** do they all seem to have this set so that it always turns them off if you stop for more than a few seconds when trying to weigh something out? Pricks.

maccruiskeen

crash detection system in cars

I had some big merc 4×4 one hire – GLE AMG something or other – for a job to get up stalkers tracks in the highlands with tools and materials . (a pick up would have been better but the hire co only had a top spec chelsea tractor available – it was a mess when I took it back, thankfully wasn’t on my account)

Anyway it was November and we were getting battered by high winds up at the tops. One gust on an exposed ridge hit the car so hard it was convinced I’d crashed

A message came up on the dash telling me it had detected a crash and asking me if it should call a tow truck.

A tow truck? How about an ambulance you selfish prick.

Cougar

I’d like to nominate digital kitchen scales.

Seconded. I’m not the fastest cook in the world, I have to remember to keep nudging it to stop it shutting down in between leeks.

Cougar

Have you tried older cars?

My first car was a 1977 Fiesta (and isn’t a security question). It was stolen one night. I was frankly impressed that they’d managed to start the bastarding thing. It required a ‘just so’ balance of throttle, manual choke and swearing.

nickc

I dated a girl who swore that her Feista had erogenous zones that need a tickle before it started..

maccruiskeen

I dated a girl who swore that her Feista had erogenous zones that need a tickle before it started..

are you sure it wasn’t a Volvo?

mogrim

Inspired by this thread I decided to google the instructions to my Ikea microwave, to see if I could persuade it to only beep once on completion… but no. The designer, who is clearly a **** of the highest order, decided that the damn thing should repeat the beep not just once again, but once a minute for 10 minutes! And obviously there’s no way to change this 🤬

zippykona

Duvet covers. They are pricks to go on and  pricks to come off.

onehundredthidiot

Nonsensical washing machine settings.
    If I come back with muddy kit I give it a hose rinse then a washing machine rinse.
    Except this new machine has a rinse setting that takes 45minutes.
    Or I put it on the 15minute wash.

hot_fiat

Microsoft Authenticator. <opens teams or any O365 app to be greeted by> “YOU NEED A NEW CODE!” <opens authenticator, select the account to generate the code >”YOU NEED A NEW CODE!” you snivelling pile of junk, why are you trying to 2fa a request within the 2fa app, you’ve basically started an infinite loop.

British plugs are comedy. Superbly engineered for their job and backed by amazing post-war propaganda to hide the fact they needed to be overengineered as Britain was broke, couldn’t afford to rewire the place with individual circuits and so entrusted the fused plug to protect our heroic population. Meanwhile the whole* of continental Europe got RCDs, properly shielded schuco plugs & sockets and largely future proof electrics.

*ok the Swiss and Italians went their own way but came around eventually.

Cougar

Christ, I’m dying. Zinger of the week sir, well played.

somafunk

Nonsensical washing machine settings.

Yep, my cheap beko machine has 20 odd setting and a normal wash at 30° takes 90mins or so, gawd knows what all the other settings do as I’ve never used them, needless to say I only use the super short wash at 30° which takes 28mins.

jamesoz

IMG_0657

Sunvisors which are clearly designed for a non existent rear view mirror. Absolutely shite. Either leave the Mirror or fit longer visors you tight bastards.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

The sheer amount of small electrical gadgets (toothbrushes, exfoliators), that could be recharged magnetically…

tthew

Sunvisors which are clearly designed for a non existent rear view mirror. Absolutely shite. Either leave the Mirror or fit longer visors you tight bastards.

I’ve got a Connect too. What also annoys me is the unemployed lump on that sensor cover that the mirror could attach to. How hard/expensive would it have been to design a flat cover foe MOST vans that have a bulkhead or no rear windows?

Cougar

greatbeardedone

… exfoliators),

Username doesn’t check out.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

^^^^guitar pedals, dustbusters, and Bluetooth headphones too.^^^^

Cougar

🎵 These are a few of my favourite things 🎵

Cougar

(Aside, trying to remember the actual lyrics to that song, my brain just came up with “… and handles on kittens,” that surely can’t be right.)

nickc

seems unlikely

although useful in some circumstances

onehundredthidiot

Mittens on kittens? Which frankly seems daft.

Cougar

You’ve clearly not met my kittens.

soundninjauk

You’ve clearly not met my kittens.

They’ve not tried to take a dump in my garden then?

tjagain

its whiskers on kittens is it not?

#

onehundredthidiot

That makes more sense, although it’d have to be a long favourite things list.

ossify

Last time I hired a van it had a bulkhead and a rear view mirror. Of all the annoying pointless….

onehundredthidiot

I was told if a van had rear windows it needed a mirror even with a bulkhead.

ossify

This one didn’t have rear windows…

Cougar

They’ve not tried to take a dump in my garden then?

Highly unlikely unless your garden is in my kitchen.

zomg

Blood pressure monitors. “Let’s see whether you can still relax while I squeeze your arm far tighter than necessary.”

jamesoz

ossify
    Last time I hired a van it had a bulkhead and a rear view mirror. Of all the annoying pointless…

Scaffolder spec?

A mirror would mean not being blinded due to sunvisors that are too short. It’s like a third sunvisor or handy to get crap out of your eye on a proper poverty spec van with no visor mirror.

Toyota Hiace used to have that. Was useful when a tipper truck knocked my side mirror off. Un clip drivers mirror and gaffer tape to mirror stump. Was also impressed at the whole replacement mirror being £12 or something daft like that.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

one does not simply date a Volvo

ossify

Supermarket self-checkout machines.
    Some of them are ok… others just need strangling.

Beagleboy

I’m ready to escalate the war I’m having with my alarm clock to ‘Caddyshack’ levels. It’s an Amazon Echo Dot. Very small and unobtrusive with a LED clock face on it. It sits about 30cm away from my ear on the bedside table. My wife loves it.

The alarm volume…..

No matter how it is set, the alarm volume will randomly reset to apocalypse levels. I’ve even set up a routine on the damn thing so that it reduces the volume to 10% around 30 minutes before I get up. I heard it beep at 10% this morning, but when the music started 30 minutes later? I left an imprint in the ceiling.

It hates me and I hate it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Supermarket self-checkout machines.

Are all, to a machine, utter pricks.

Surprising item in the bagging area… no, no there is not…

Cougar

I have the same Echo next to the bed and haven’t had that issue. Get on to Amazon support? Maybe it’s broken.

Cougar

Surprising item in the bagging area… no, no there is not…

“Unexpected” but yes. What were you expecting in the bagging area if not my shopping? A scale model of the Eiffel Tower? Ant and Dec? What?

Honestly though, it’s the animate objects using them which are real pricks here. The local Tesco has had the truly braindead idea on making the Scan As You Go tills (with the little barcode guns you carry round the store) the same ones as Self Scan. Unless I’m buying something which needs an attendant (which is a whole other gripe) I’ve Scanned and Gone inside of ten seconds. Invariably though they tills are gridlocked by pricks who have decided to do their annual shop at 3:50pm on a Sunday. When they’ve finally scanned all their shopping, just before the heat death of the universe, they then – THEN – start bagging everything up into their trolley. Just take your shit and piss off.

a11y

but when the music started 30 minutes later? I left an imprint in the ceiling.

Humble brag.

Freezers. Specifically, our freezer and the ‘door open’ alarm that goes off after an insufficient period of time has passed. FFS all I’m doing is loading in the weekly shop, won’t you let me do it without the hysterical BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP shenanigans please. The only way to silcence it it to close then reopen the door, but then of course the suction or whatever the **** happens mean you just about wrench the door off trying to reopen the f**ker. Prick.

crazy-legs

Invariably though they tills are gridlocked by pricks who have decided to do their annual shop at 3:50pm on a Sunday. When they’ve finally scanned all their shopping, just before the heat death of the universe, they then – THEN – start bagging everything up into their trolley. Just take your shit and piss off.

Quality rant, good work!
    And yes – what is it about people who use those tills dumping all their stuff into the packing area BUT NOT ACTUALLY PACKING IT?!

It’s specifically called The Packing Area. Put bag in it, scan item, pack. End, pay, pick up bag, go.
    Not – dump all your groceries in random piles, pay, spend another 10 minutes packing them into bags, then go.

Absolute morons.

And on a related note – automatic e-passport gates. Seriously people, how difficult can it be?! Follow arrows and instructions. Scan passport. Get through.
    The problem is that the machines are not designed to cope with the utter stupidity of the average airline passenger so if they’re 4mm out of line or blink at the wrong time, the machine will throw a fit. Although I’m still willing to go with 10% machine fault and 90% fault with the moron passenger trying to use it.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“Unexpected” but yes. What were you expecting in the bagging area if not my shopping? A scale model of the Eiffel Tower? Ant and Dec? What?

Ice skating mongooses dancing the Bolero.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.