Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)
  • If you watch one angry parish council meeting today…
  • martinhutch

Starts with one of them muttering ‘**** off’ at the Chair under his breath on Zoom and rapidly goes downhill from there. A melee of angry gammons, angry old buffers, and an angry Chuckle Brother-a-like. 🙂

It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag, where raging arguments over the state of the bus shelter were commonplace. Poor, poor Jackie Weaver…

oldtennisshoes

Brilliant, just brilliant!

#whoisjackieweaver?

joshvegas
    Free Member

That’s a bit hard work isn’t it.

martinhutch

The only upside is that these people are off the streets for a couple of hours on Thursday nights, instead of harassing their neighbours about their bins or reporting forrin-looking people to the police.

ifra
    Free Member

I wondered if this would be on here, just watched it a few times, absolute gold. Probably the same as every parish council meeting across the UK. Although Aled Brewerton does seem like a very angry person 😂😂

pondo

Jesus. I broke inside 8 minutes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

What a cluster ****! These people hold actual power.

martinhutch

These people hold actual power.

Nah…that’s the beauty of the parish council. Full of power-crazed **** wielding the sum total of zero power, unless this year’s Britain in Bloom entry counts as such. 🙂

grim168
    Free Member

So that’s what daily mail readers are like

nickc

This is all over Twitter. It’s only funny if you’ve never had to attend Parish council/ school governor/ resident association etc etc meetings.

yep

martinhutch

It’s only funny if you’ve never had to attend Parish council/ school governor/ resident association etc etc meetings.

This kind of stuff is gold to reporters, though. Imagine having to drive to Stoke Poges village hall on a cold winters evening, listen to an hour of drivel about verges, and realise you have nothing to write about.

The best ones are when local residents appear in person to beg the council to stop opposing their application for a porch, or a flowerpot, or something, and then get roundly abused for their trouble. 🙂

Greybeard
    Free Member

Not really. That’s one of the reasons I gave up being a town councillor – you get all the hassle from residents wanting you to fix stuff but don’t have any real power to do anything.

franksinatra

Aled has some proper anger issues whilst Jackie has discovered to power previously only held by over zealous forum moderators, she is slamming the ban hammer!!! Good on her.

peekay

Jackie Weaver for PM.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

This is comedy gold!

willard

Wow. But then, Cheshire.

crazy-legs

In my days of dealing with cycle races, we had to negotiate parish councils on a regular basis. Filled with angry little NIMBYs, fun-sponging their way through every aspect of village life they were well known for being a monumental hurdle to crest – ironically they have no real power yet there’s a constant power struggle in and between themselves.

Normally conflicts like that would be very under the radar in the village hall and backstabbing chat down the pub but I guess virtual meetings have moved it worldwide! It’s even appeared on an Australian news channel!

Esme
    Free Member

“Wow. But then, Cheshire.”
    Penketh Parish Council
    (Penketh is in north Cheshire)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag, where raging arguments over the state of the bus shelter were commonplace. Poor, poor Jackie Weaver… It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag, where raging arguments over the state of the bus shelter were commonplace. Poor, poor Jackie Weaver…

Our best was a long running spat over someone spending £30 on a new printer from Argos without going through the proper channels. Mind blowing stuff.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag

*Salutes*

Never had the pleasure of attending a parish council meeting, but am a proud veteran of many district council sessions, including the ever-reliable planning committees.

Actual LOL.

My theory is that the parish/town council system is an elaborate ruse to keep a certain calibre of busybody out of actual local politics.

martinhutch

It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag, where raging arguments over the state of the bus shelter were commonplace. Poor, poor Jackie Weaver… It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag, where raging arguments over the state of the bus shelter were commonplace. Poor, poor Jackie Weaver…

I used to try to get my word count up by just repeating quotes as well. 😎

Never had the pleasure of attending a parish council meeting, but am a proud veteran of many district council sessions, including the ever-reliable planning committees.

Ah, the days of looking through the agenda failing to find anything controversial, then ringing some cantankerous rent-a-moan to hype up some story about a new phone box.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

I attend local action group meetings in my role and the councillors are just a right pain to deal with. The police are also at the meetings and I just feel sorry for them, as the petty things councillors bring up. They are generally angry little men who love a moan and feel as though they hold some degree of power. Most of their ire is directed towards the yoof.

dyna-ti

😆

Klunk
    Free Member

lasted about 30 seconds

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I lasted about 20.

Our local parish council took down a swing last year.

Someone had got one put up on a tree branch.

There was an objection to attaching things to the tree.

Keeps them off the streets I guess.

Can’t remember anything else they did.

chakaping
    Free Member

They are generally angry little men who love a moan and feel as though they hold some degree of power.

Yep, that Japanese Olympic bloke in the news saying women drag meetings out – that’s not my experience sunshine.

Ah, the days of looking through the agenda failing to find anything controversial, then ringing some cantankerous rent-a-moan to hype up some story about a new phone box.

Wouldn’t dream of such a thing.

Or nobody at the district council cares about the phone box, so you ring the parish councillors who hate anything those arrogant big-timers at the district council do as a matter of principle.

Good times.

crazy-legs

lasted about 30 seconds

There is a much much shorter version which is really just the angry shouty bits.

The self-styled Handforth PC Clerk tells her she has no authority, she kicks him out the meeting and then says that a Chair can be elected and the Vice Chair starts screaming that he’s there, he takes charge and yells at her to read the standing orders.

They do love their little processes.

Our best was a long running spat over someone spending £30 on a new printer from Argos without going through the proper channels. Mind blowing stuff.

Yep, processes. Gotta have processes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll just leave this here. Actually a residents association vs. district councillors story, but it’s one of the best:
    https://www.wigantoday.net/news/public-notice-board-lock-change-row-erupts-765140

martinhutch

Bloody hell. This epic sadface picture of Dave deserves linking.

I don’t think he’d throw your football back if it went in his garden. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

The police are also at the meetings and I just feel sorry for them, as the petty things councillors bring up

That was me once upon a time. The only contribution I can recall making was after the opening of the new cycle path that runs alongside the A82. The chairman was outraged that despite the council (which it wasn’t, it was Sustrans) spending millions on a cycle path nobody wanted, cyclists were still cycling on the main road. He was particularly smug when he quoted that case where a court ruled that cyclists had to use cycle paths if they were present. Not quite so smug when I was able to name the subsequent case where that was overturned by a higher court. He then claimed that the local police didn’t know traffic law at all, citing the ticket he had been given for contravening solid white centre lines despite there being no oncoming traffic, and was not pleased when told that they had to be obeyed at all times, not just when there was something coming the other way, the fact that they were generally on bends or other stretches with insufficient views ahead being beyond his grasp. I wasn’t invited back after that.

binners

It’s giving me traumatic flashbacks to my time as a parish council reporter on a local rag, where raging arguments over the state of the bus shelter were commonplace.

Mrs Binners, for her sins, used to have a lot to do with local council meetings in a former job. She said that no matter what the agenda for the meetings was, it would ALWAYS end up with an argument about wheelie bin collections.

Her heart would sink as soon as the topic was mentioned as it would then go on for hours

johnx2
    Free Member

viral via R4 Today prog (a rare actual funny bit inc memories of councilors going to sleep in meetings.. ) will have been on about 8:10 I’d guess.

It’s pretty much how I imagine many of the discussions on here “YOU HAVE NO AUTHOrITY!” *turns back on camera

grum
    Free Member

It is quite funny but also horrific. I dunno if they had some genuine grievance to start with but most of the men just come across as angry entitled bullies.

Harry_the_Spider

For my sins I used to go to the local residents association meetings when we first moved in to the village.

There is a very small triangle of turf that separates the pub from the bus turning circle, we’re talking 2 x 4m. This used to get parked on and thus was a muddy mess. It was the RAs favourite topic of debate.

How do we improve the grass outside the pub?
    Shall we put a tree on it? No, it will get knocked over.
    Shall we put a bench on it? No, it will get knocked over.
    Shall we put a couple of massive rocks on it? No, they will damage cars.
    Shall we tarmac it? No, it will look ugly.
    Shall we concrete it and paint it green? No, that won’t stop the cars.
    Shall we just leave it as it is and moan about it on the first Wednesday of every month?… Silence.

They also liked to talk at length about dog shit.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Every time I hear ‘Parish Councillor’ I remember a time when Durham Constabulary were trying to get use of a disused quarry behind my house to do firearms training, instead of travelling down to Catterick ranges to do it. Me & my mate from the pub down the road were invited to Catterick along with a few other people to experience what the noise levels would be like. A Shadforth parish councillor was also invited. We got to the range & were given a talk by the firearms trainer & offered a few shots of each of the weapons in the inventory. A 9mm H&K automatic rifle, a H&K pistol & an AI .243 rifle. The parish council guy was handed the pistol (after a proper firearms safety talk/demo) & within seconds everyone was on the floor, & I don’t mean with laughter.
    What a dipstick.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No the radio now. bbc 4

chakaping
    Free Member

This epic sadface picture of Dave

“Make love to the camera, baby”.

You’re probably familiar with the “Angry people in local newspapers” group on FB?

rickmeister

Little Britain meets Zoom. Epic gammonry.

martinhutch

“Make love to the camera, baby”.

My sympathies to his missus if this is his love-face. 🙂

They also liked to talk at length about dog shit.

You see, it IS just like STW.

aP
    Free Member

Make love to the camera, baby”

Turn and look over one shoulder, stare into the setting sun, whilst blowing your nails dry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘If you watch one angry parish council meeting today…’ is closed to new replies.