Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • idiots guide to ultegra Di2
  • karnali
    Free Member

I’m about to order a new frame and it is di2 compatible and i’m undecided between buildling up with ultegra di2 or a mechanical groupset. its going ot have hydro dsc shifters. If i go for Di2 can someone explain in laymans terms what i willneed.
    Disc hydro shofters
    front and rear mech
    Charger
    Chainset chain cassette

its the cables and batteries i’m a little unsure of

ta

Rorschach
    Free Member

Internal or external battery?

tomhoward

Wires, junction box.

Worth noting that the chainset/cassette/chain aren’t di2 specific, so you can use any.

lunge

You need all you would for a mechanical build with a couple of Di2 specific bits. You can general buy either a complete groupset or a gearset that will just have the shifters, mechs, wires, junction box, battery and charger. In honesty, I’ve only seen these for rim brakes but I’ sure you can find them in disc form somewhere.

As an aside, Di2 is bloody magnificent to use.

Rorschach
    Free Member

For seatpost battery and assuming you hav’nt got an odd sized frame.This has worked on most of the installs I’ve done.
    1 x Electric wire EW-SD50I (1000mm) down tube
    1 x Electric wire EW-SD50I (600mm) chain stay
    1 x Electric wire EW-SD50I (700mm) battery
    2 x Electric wire EW-SD50I (350mm) shifters
    1 x Electric wire EW-SD50I (300mm) front mech
    1 x Junction 3 Ports SM-EW90-A bars (unless you want to run extra shifters in which case you’ll need a 5-port B model)
    1 x Junction Box SM-JC41 internal bb
    1 x Battery SM-BTR2-1 for internal
    1 x BCR2 Charger for internal

titusrider
    Free Member

you will need to make sure your bike is charged in order to ride it…

Im out..

🙂

tomhoward

🙄 yawns

Rorschach
    Free Member

Its worth finding a shop with the diagnostic tool as usually the components have different firmware versions when you buy them.And you can occasionally get issues.The box of tricks will let you upgrade everything to the latest version and also let you play about with the settings (I always think the lh shifter buttons are the wrong way around).

scaredypants

(I always think the lh shifter buttons are the wrong way around).

yay, though opposite ! – I set my rhs to work the other way, as if it’s a rapid-rise mech

shuhockey
    Free Member

You’ll need a seat post compatible with the internal battery.
    Get the 5 port junction box as the hydra shifters don’t have the extra ports like the mechanical brake shifters and you will need an extra port for climbers switch etc.
    You don’t need a bike shop to update. Just down load the etube software and plug in the internal battery charging cable. Easy to do.
    I just charge mine to be safe once a month and it only takes 1.5 hours to do.
    You’ll also need a bleed kit

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

You’ll need a seat post compatible with the internal battery.

Will you heck, mine is stuffed up the inside of my normal carbon post wrapped in foam and it’s never dropped out.

karnali
    Free Member

Thanks for all advice I’ll have a look on line found a good website as well. Steangley the hydro di2 shifters are cheaper than the mechanical hydro ones.

scaredypants

shifters are just “dumb” switches, I think – all the brains are elsewhere

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘idiots guide to ultegra Di2’ is closed to new replies.