Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • I want a Huge front wheel and I can't afford a Pugsley
  • allankelly

Ah sorry Al, I got Woody’s tyre. 2kg though eh?
    Cheers, al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Gazzaloddi’s are heavier 😉

EDIT as a sequential experiment into the world of fat via half fat I am considering the following, any comments?

1. 2.8″ tyre on front.
    2. Then build up a front wheel with a 50mm rim (std fork or 135mm?).
    3. 4″ tyre on front (buy 135mm fork, rebuild front wheel if nec), 2.8″ on back.
    4. Full fat frame & rr wheel.

joemarshall
    Free Member

2kg

The thing about Larrys/Endomorphs (or whatever Coastkid rides) is that they look like they’ve been made as light as possible, I guess that’s why they are £85!

Roughly 1500g, so a lot lighter but still kind of heavy.

Woody
    Free Member

If you go for a full fat frame you will probably need a 165mm rear axle and 100mm bottom bracket to get clearance.

Good info on MTBR fat forum

I quite fancy an Atacama once the full spec. comes out and he finally gets the website up and running.

Alternatively, my Maverick could become like this 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks a lot chaps, will look into those resources.

Last Q (maybe) what min. length 100mm fork am I looking at to scrape a 3.7″ tyre in? Would 425mm do it?

allankelly

cynic-al: That’s kinda where I’m going. This Gaz 3″ will need a new rim, I’ll find a wide 32h and rebuild a wheel I have. Then as you say, wider at front + rear.

As Woody says a fat frame needs a wide BB, so you end up with the original handlebars and not much else!

al.

Macavity
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice one al. It sounds like we may have a fat-race on our hands – East v. West?

shandcycles
    Free Member
    singlespeedstu

Al & allan.

I’ll warn you now that this fat tyre thing is addictive.

I thought I’d just give it a go on a frame that was hanging around spare in the garage to see if i liked it.

Next thing I know i’ve also got a fat front on the jones and a salsa mukluk being shipped to me. 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Seen your posts stu…are you using it for “normal” riding or snow/sand etc?

What are the benefits…and any tips for getting a toe in the water cheaply?

I’m always curious about “different” bikes that might extend or vary my riding, but any trails are 10 miles+ away from me, which is why I’ve recently gone for a crosser as my next experiment. I wonder how much I would actually use a fatbike (though I like the idea of it being a 29er in the summer)

singlespeedstu

It’s been used for everything, trail centers, local sandy trails, rooty woodland, open moorland boggy peat and a small amount of snow.

It takes a little bit of experimenting with tyre pressures as 1psi can make quite a difference.
    TBH the first time i took it out on a rock trail i though it was a bit harsh until i dropped it down to 5psi. Then it just conformed round the rocks instead of sliding/bouncing off them.

Personaly I’d go for at least a 65mm rim to get the most out of lower pressures in the tyre.

Can you not get a go on coastkids Pug?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I probs can, am just wondering about dipping a toe in rather than going full-fat right away (not viable funds wise).

Seems I can experiment a bit on a low budget to start off with and then sell stuff on if nec.

allankelly

5PSI … 80mm rims … 2kg tyres …. HAHHAHAHaahaa.

This is great isn’t it?

Al – I’m going for it because I’ve had such success with my 69’ed Inbred. The front’s ‘only’ 2.55″ 29er but it makes all the difference. I can’t quite ride down dunes, but I can ride round almost all of the beach by the house. Riding summer Puffer rigid I thought would be a step too far, but no, it was great I didn’t miss suspension once. I have a choice of bikes and the one I reach for every time is this one.

So bigger must be better, right?

And you get weird looks + comments which is always great 😉

other-al.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Don’t you get weird looks anyway? 😛 I do 😳

I tried 29er (2.3″ tyres only though), could see the benefits but didn’t feel I could justify another bike that wasn’t different enough. Maybe this is what is need.

firestarter
    Free Member

My monkey with 2.55 was good in snow but I want bigger 😉

singlespeedstu

Don’t you get weird looks anyway?

Not sure about weird looks but you’ll soon get fed up of people asking you why your tyres so big.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Woody – how are you getting on with my old endo? you might want to lower your pressure a bit – 15psi I only use for the road – off road – 9psi and snow and ice 6psi.

Cynic-al – I use my fatty for all my riding.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Just ordered an enabler/marge/larry set up for my ‘spare’ unit 2-9.God only knows when the Larry will come into stock-after the snow goes probably.

epicyclo

Going half fat is a slippery slope.

Once you’ve tried it, you’ll be itching to go the whole way. Based on my experience – and I think Singlespeedstu was the same – one taste of a fat tyre at the front and you’ve ordered a fatbike frame and parts.

The Surly Pugsley has an offset rear wheel. The big advantage of that is you can use standard hubs and for me the ability to use an Alfine. The big disadvantage is building a wheel – I did not like the build I had to do to get an offset, so I rebuilt it with a wide rim and did a crossover build.

Woody
    Free Member

Futon – the endo is fine thanks and TBH I’m only guessing at the pressure as my gauge doesn’t work. I’ve got it as low as I dare on the relatively narrow 36mm rim and can depress it about 1″ with my thumb so it may well be lower than I think.

I’ve a few days off coming up and should be getting a fatter rim and freewheel and brakes which will improve things but even as it is I’m quite happy. I’m not surprised that you use yours all the time as the fat tyres give a very nice ride, especially with a bike as bling as yours 😀

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the tyre pressure in the right ballpark, it’s worth getting a digital gauge so to can be consistent with your pressure. I occasionally throw on the thin front wheel for a change!

coastkid
    Free Member

I take no responsability for anyone wishing one of these bikes and the grief in justifying the cost of buying one may cause on there other half… :mrgreen:
    but have to say into my 3rd winter on the pugsley its ace 😮
    i gave up full suspension bikes to buy a pugsley and havent looked back… i love going out and riding places where a normal bike struggles or is just too hard work is what makes owning one of these bikes so much fun…its like that 1st mtb years ago and you were amazed where it went…
    back in 1987 om my 1st mtb folk meeting you would say “look at the size of those tyres!” somethings havent changed…just the jaws drop more and eyes pop out more! 😮

firestarter
    Free Member

Al how you getting on with your faffing ? Here’s mine from other day after postie turned up 😉 you may have seen it on my other thread tho lol

epicyclo

Does anyone else with a fatbike find that their other bikes look anaemic with their skinny 2.35″ tyres?

Just put 2.1″ ice tyres on my Scandal and it looks just wrong 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

moi?

Annoyingly I’ve not gotten anywhere with it at all yet…I needed a new front hub and ordered from on one…a few days later they said “thanks, we’ll send that out some time” chased them a week later to hear “oh sorry that should have been an out-of-stock email” 🙄

should have the stuff when I get back to build it, but it’s only 2.5″ diesel on a 50mm rim so quite far from the real thing. Good to see All the threads and get more informed. looking for those 3″ Vreds.

oh and if it’s the other al, please ignore this post 😀

Your KM looks good.

epicyclo

I’m going to be building up a 135mm front wheel over Xmas so I’ll be taking the 100mm Surly fork off the Pug.

If anyone reasonably local to me wants to borrow it for a short time to try a half-fat, they’re welcome. May even be able to rustle up a spare front wheel if I don’t disassemble the one I’m currently using (32mm rim).

I’ve also got an unused Endomorph, but I’d rather not lend that out.

Priority will go to anyone entered in the ‘Puffer.

firestarter
    Free Member

Poo when that happens isn’t it al 🙁

Epicyclo don’t fancy flogging do you 😉

bruneep

Epicyclo I’m fat curious, 😳 where is local?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dingwall I think…too far from me 🙁

alex222
    Free Member

you should all get sent to prison for thinking it; for writting it down and putting photos on an internet forum you should face the death penalty. all of those bikes are gopping aweful ugly and bobbins. shame on all of you. i feel ill i can never remove those images from my mind now.

cynic-al
    Free Member

just seen on mtbr a guy running 2.3 tyres on 70mm rims to get 2.9 width in his KM

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘I want a Huge front wheel and I can't afford a Pugsley’ is closed to new replies.