Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • I stole a bike
    nickfrog
    Free Member

It felt like it anyway šŸ˜‚.

2021 YT Izzo Pro that has covered less than 100 miles. Ā£1,200. A bit less in fact I sold the incredibly expensive CB pedals for Ā£75.

Already upgraded the 150mm house dropper with a 175mm Fox and remote. Slammed is perfect for my height too.

Spec is nice. CF front and rear. Fox Fit4 34 Perf Elite and shock, both 130mm. Full GX, G2RS brakes, M1700 DT Swiss.

Does anyone know how much labour is involved in upgrading the fork spring to a 140mm (not a job I want to tackle)?

woodster

Very nice.

Most carbon bikes donā€™t do much for me, but the Izzo is a great looking thing.

jimdubleyou

Looks very much like my bikeā€¦

Donā€™t worry though, mines definitely still in the garage :)

dc1988

Itā€™s easy to change the air spring, I did it recently on a Fox 34 and it took maybe an hour and Iā€™d never done it before.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Thanks dc. Youā€™re not in Sussex by any chance? šŸ˜‚

nickfrog
    Free Member

Jim, how do you find the bike?

dc1988

A few hours north Iā€™m afraid!

Have a look at the service manual online and some YouTube videos, just take your time, follow the instructions carefully and youā€™ll be fine.

MoreCashThanDash

They really are lovely looking bikes

desperatebicycle

how much labour is involved in upgrading the fork spring to a 140mm

Is it really worth the money and effort for 1cm ?? ;)

tonyd

Like!

nickfrog
    Free Member

Probably not worth it Desperate but you know how it is with the tweaking disease in winter. The shaft is Ā£35 and I might get half back selling the 130mm and if I can DIY as suggested.

On a another front, there is a grip shift style RS remote to lock the shock on the fly. Problem is the outer cable is far too long on the bars. Do you guys know if I can simply shorten like I did for the rear mech or does it need the shock removing?
    If it does I might remove it altogether but without the remote in place will the shock be in closed or open position by default?

desperatebicycle

Ooh, Iā€™ve got that on my old RM. Yeah, you can shorten it just like a gear cable. Pretty sure that without the cable it just acts like a normal shock adjuster ā€“ the return spring on mine is in the lever.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Cheers DB. Just done it, it was quite painless indeed!

jimdubleyou

Jim, how do you find the bike?

Honestly, I donā€™t ride it much these days as most of my riding is from the door, and I live on the edge of London so my gravel and road bikes get more love.

That said, it is fun to ride and very capable ā€“ Iā€™m definitely the limiting factor, not the bike.

jimdubleyou

Oh, and I swapped the grip shift lockout for a bontrager drop lock dual lever thingie ā€“ that way I can use my preferred gripsā€¦

chakaping

Thatā€™s a beauty.

Did you ride it yet?

desperatebicycle

Honestly, I donā€™t ride it much these days ..

Wanna sell? I heard somewhere that they are a good second hand buy :D

nickfrog
    Free Member

Did you ride it yet?

Ride it? Why on earth would I do that? I just cleaned it! šŸ˜‚

On a serious note I only ride when the mud recedes nowadays.

I have ordered a 2.6 Rekon for the front and a 2.4 Ardent for the rear as the 2.35 Forecaster look a bit timid.

Fitting 800mm bars too as the guy cut the 760mm down to 735mm. Itā€™s not bloody 1992 šŸ˜‚.

I like the idea of dropping the Gripshift thing, itā€™s not bloody 1992 šŸ˜‚

nickfrog
    Free Member

Now with ā€œproperā€tyres, Rekon 2.6 Maxterra front and 2.4 Ardent rear.
    175mm fox post slammed.
    800mm carbon bars and 50mm e*13 stem.
    Got rid of the shock lock remote thing.
    Pedals are provisionalā€¦

ogden
    Free Member

Tidy that! Where did you find such a bargain @nickfrog ?

nickfrog
    Free Member

Hi Ogden. It was on eBay but the guy had never cleaned it so took photos of it filthy. Starting at Ā£1,400 and BIN at Ā£2,000. No bids 2 weeks running. Also he put Ā£17 for shipping.

It was only 30 miles from me so I explained with the fees and actual shipping cost he would have netted less than Ā£1,200 even if someone had bid at Ā£1,400.

He took my Ā£1,200 picked up.

I stripped it down and I am confident it covered very few miles, between 50 and 100 miles probably. I regreased everything, hubs, BB, headset. Feels quasi new.

I was lucky.

nickfrog
    Free Member

After a bit of advice. I am quite tempted by the entry level Lyrics with the cheap Rush damper at Ā£265 on CRC.
    The motivation is that they are 140mm and a much more modern and beefier chassis than the 130mm 34s I am 85kgs after all šŸ˜‚.I am also used to around 65deg HA too and I would be close to that then.

I read that the FIT4 is not a particularly nice damper either. Would I get Ā£250 for those forks on eBay/Pinkbike?

Any views welcome on this wholly unnecessary change.

munrobiker
    Free Member

If youā€™re fitting Lyriks to an Izzo, even if itā€™s a bargain youā€™ve bought the wrong bike for what youā€™re doing.

dc1988

Iā€™d say the current fork is better. Donā€™t get fooled but the need to up size your fork, 34mm was big enough for everything a few years back.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Fair comments although a trail fork on a trail bike for trail riding doesnā€™t sound too out of place?
    Iā€™ll probably buy the Lyrics but ride the Fox 34 thoroughly first to see how it feels, when the weather turns.

desperatebicycle

Hmm, yeah, my old Instinct has Grip 34s and have been absolutely fine. Itā€™s 130mm travel bike too.
    Iā€™ve been happy with them ā€“ until my last trip to BPW with my son on a proper Enduro bike. Trying to keep up with him, my hands were chattered to hell and I really wanted a bigger fork (not more travel, just chunkier and less erm, chattery!). The 140mm Lyrik wouldā€™ve been a good swap.
    That was the only time the 34s felt out of their depth though, so I guess it depends on what riding youā€™re doing with the Izzo.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Good point. Basically I am a one bike guy so itā€™s got to do it all from just ā€œnormalā€ trail riding on the South Downs (although that includes Steyning bike park which is 20mn from mine) to BPW to long days on the SDW which is more XC than anything.

Kramer
    Free Member

If youā€™re fitting Lyriks to an Izzo, even if itā€™s a bargain youā€™ve bought the wrong bike for what youā€™re doing.

Iā€™d agree with this.

Fox 34s are plenty for a 120mm travel bike.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The Izzo is not a 120mm travel bike.

Please tell me more about buying the wrong bike thing, I donā€™t understand.

I am not considering a 38 with 170mm. I am just considering a very small 10mm travel increase and a fork that is 200g heavier because the Lyric happens to be available at at seemingly low price.

Kramer
    Free Member

Sorry, but Iā€™d still say that 34s are plenty for a 130mm travel bike and are decent forks. 85kg shouldnā€™t be too much for them either.

Iā€™m not sure youā€™d get much benefit from the faff of swapping over the forks for 10mm extra travel on a good bike that you got for silly money?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I am sure the 34s would be plenty most of the time. But then again it depends what you do with them. It looks like Desperate found their limit in an environment where I will be riding too. In fact it even looks like YT themselves are quite happy to fit a 36 140mm on an Izzo frame. https://uk.yt-industries.com/products/outlet-sale/606/izzo-29-uncaged-11/

A fork swap is not much of a faff TBF, takes me about 30mn at worst. As for how little I paid for the bike, to me itā€™s more like an incentive to spend a bit more šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ll try the 34s at Steyning and see what happens.

mattcartlidge

Happy to take the bike off you for Ā£1300 if its the wrong bike :-) Iā€™m 84kg so more suited to the current fork.

nickfrog
    Free Member

šŸ˜‚

I am already in profit then. Perhaps I should go for a high end Lyric.

HobNob
    Free Member

I am just considering a very small 10mm travel increase and a fork that is 200g heavier because the Lyric happens to be available at at seemingly low price.

Itā€™s not just 10mm of travel, itā€™s at least 10mm difference in A2C measurements also. So youā€™re raising the front end a minimum of 20mm, reducing your reach, slackening the STA, etc.

And that Lyrik is worse than the Fit4. Which is saying something.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Thanks good to know about the A2C. Will check.

Have you compared the Fit4 to that Lyric yourself?

Good to hear about the Fit4, is it that bad?

Edit. Looks like A2C for a 140mm 34 is 554 vs 551 for the Lyric 140. So 10mm travel gains 7mm A2C.

chakaping

If the Fox 34 is the previous gen one (without the rounder arch), then I used to have that with the Fit 4 damping and Iā€™d say it is adequate for that kind of bike ā€“ but it could be improved on.

I swapped to a 130mm Pike Select+ (charger 2.1) and I find that considerably stiffer and better damped.

I suspect the Pike is the sweet spot, out of the big brand forks. Lyrik would seem overkill unless youā€™re particularly heavy or very fast.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Yes itā€™s the old non rounded 34.

Pike 140mm would be ideal indeed but serious money with a ā€œproperā€ damper.

PS I am very fast but mostly by accident.

chakaping

Pike 140mm would be ideal indeed but serious money with a ā€œproperā€ damper.

You could get a cheap Revelation (same chassis) and one of those ā€œUpā€ damper upgrades, they seemed very well regarded in a thread on here the other day.

Looks like Alpkit still have them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225949133760

130mm travel is fine for a bike like this IME, but you could change air shaft later if you really wanted to.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Sounds good thanks but will be around Ā£400 when finished for what is presumably the ā€œoldā€ Pike chassis on the Revs. I am not super bothered about the travel, the CRC forks happen to be 140mm, which may be a bonus.

At this rate I might just steal my sonā€™s 36 and reduce them to 140mm and fit some new 160 Yari I have. He might not notice šŸ˜‚

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.