Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • I fancy some new winter riding trousers…
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…being as my current ones date back to early last decade.

Recommend me some!

I’m 6ft tall, 32-34″ waist.

iamanobody
    Free Member

there is a thread stared by ton on this \/ there

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t want especially baggy and I don’t mind paying for something that will last. I’ve used MoD surplus in the past and they’re great, just not tailored particularly well for riding bikes (unsurprisingly).

rossburton
    Free Member

Fox have some I’ve got my eye on.

jam-bo

i’ve been impressed so far by the madison zeniths I bought last winter.

wooderson

I’ve just bought two pairs of trouser after 25 years of only wearing baggies or 3/4s for trails and commuting.

A pair of Madison Zenith 4 seasons (£80) – which feel a bit like work trousers by Dewalt or something – but are tough, adjustable, comfy and i won’t mind getting absolutely filthy; and a pair of smarter Pearl Izzumi Versas (reduced to £60) from Biketart. The Versa are much slimmer and are idea for a less muddy commutes and for not looking too spoddy if I wear them at work at day.

Both are nicely wind proof, have plenty of vents and seems water repellent, rather than waterproof, but are good tools for the respective jobs.

I’m 5’11” and 33/34 waist, so a looser large for the Zeniths and snugger 34″ for the Versas.

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/madison_zenith_4season_dwr_trouser_2019-ID_78777

https://www.biketart.com/cycling-clothing-mtb-road-biketart/shorts-trousers-cycling-clothing-biketart/pearl-izumi-mens-versa-trousers-shadow-grey

chakaping
    Free Member

Does anyone use softshell walking trews for riding?

Potentially way cheaper than MTB specific ones.

scotroutes

One of the other threads had a suggestion of XC ski trousers – softshell, fitted, stretchy, windproof and water resistant. Decathlon have them for under £40.

I have some ME Ibex walking trousers but I reckon they’re too baggy at the ankle and not really offering much warmth.

orena45

Love my Royal Racing ones. Really comfy and warm, high rear waist band to stop draughts and a couple of zipped pockets.  Lower legs are very tapered but fit is great for riding and there’s extra room for knee pads.  No vents as such except for laser perforation which could be a slight issue if you run hot, but it’s been fine for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

One of the other threads had a suggestion of XC ski trousers – softshell, fitted, stretchy, windproof and water resistant. Decathlon have them for under £40.

Could be a good idea, I guess XC ski stuff needs to be breathable but I’d still fear it might be too warm.

I’ll try my walking trousers on the bike, they taper nicely at the ankle anyway.

nedrapier

any recommendations for lightweight riding trews? I’ve got shorts and I recently got some MT500 spray longs.

Rather enjoying having clean legs at the end of a ride, but the MT500s are a little heavy and bulky. It would be nice to bin some of that and be able to wear them for more of the year.

oldfart

I’ve got a pair of Endura’s, not sure which ones, bought them 2nd hand donkeys years ago. Apart from in the wet I wear them all Winter they are utterly bombproof!
    Only thing is I reckon they probably date from Endura glory days and the modern equivalents probably won’t be as robust?

stuc
    Free Member

Have recently bought a pair of Fox Flexairs which are nice and light so could be paired up with normal bibs underneath or thermal bibs.

Also last winter rode in Fox Attack Fire but these are seriously warm.

Both seem a bit odd when stood in them normally – the cut on the front is very low, but both fit well on the bike. I seized down one size in the Flexairs as they have a lot of elastic on the waistband and gives a slightly tighter cut on the leg.

hainman
    Free Member

I bought a pair of Endura Singletrack trousers last year
    They lasted a month before the stretch panel ripped to bits
    Sent back and went to Sports direct and picked up Karrimor walking trousers which have way outlasted the bike specific ones
    Was enough room for a thick set of knee pads too
    I’ll be looking for some waterproof ones this year as I hate with a passion having a wet Derrière

StirlingCrispin

Recently bought myself some <span class=”il”>Madison</span> Zenith men’s 4-Season DWR trousers.

Really impressed with them. Ordered them from Freewheel and had them delivered to a local Madison stockist. Meant I could try and them on and return for an instant refund if they didn’t fit.

Also have some Fox Flexair pants but find them a bit too light for winter riding.

Have given up on Endura – the sizing is completely random and the stitching poor.

pothead
    Free Member

Fox Ranger waterproof pants here, look similar to the Attack/Defend fire pants but without the fleece lining, not felt the cold at all so far & combined with sealskinz dry legs and feet are a welcome bonus at this time of year

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Thanks all. Some good options there to check out! Although I think I’ll be avoiding insulated ski trousers down here in the south. 😉

jedi

I bought some fox ranger. Awesome so far

hainman
    Free Member

Wee update o winter trousers
    Bought a pair of Craghopper Waterproof trousers from amazon and had 1st ride yesterday
    Wet and muddy as hell and the trousers kept me bone dry

zippykona

Do you wear something under your craghoppers?

hainman
    Free Member

Nope just my boxers and knee pads
    If I had been riding in my normal get up of tights and shorts I would have proper caked in mud and soaked right through

chrisyork

Just bought some Royal Storm pants yesterday as were in the sale.

Keen to see what they’re like!

andyha
    Free Member

Leela roadrunners

I wear these with either padded shorts or bibs underneath, good range of sizes and leg lengths

epicyclo

hainman

Bought a pair of Craghopper Waterproof trousers from amazon and had 1st ride yesterday

I’ve got a pair and they work in sleet too. (Sleet seems to penetrate everything 🙂 )

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I fancy some new winter riding trousers…’ is closed to new replies.