Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How’s Garburn running these days?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Only been up there twice, once about 20 years ago and one a bit more recently. Last time round going up the west side was utterly wonderful. Easy sections with a couple of really difficult but doable sections.
    Down the east side was much trickier than I expected. Couldn’t get the flow at all and recall it being quite stuff ( for a semi skilled rider)

I imagine conditions change hugely between fixes and floods. Anyone got a view on what it’s like at present?

Cheers

samcamsdad

Did a lap of garburn about 6 weeks ago. Troutbeck (west) side is cutting up but still rideable if you have the legs.
    Down in to Kentmere is probably the roughest it’s ever been in the 30 years I’ve been riding it! And it’s bloody great!😀
    Not much flow, but the faster you go the easier it gets. Sore arms and big grins at the bottom.

gkeeffe

Last time I went down the Kentmere side I had such arm pump it felt like I had v-brakes on the bike. Unbelievably rocky, loads of baby head rocks! Fantastic riding!!! The Troutbeck side is completely rideable up and down.

StuE
    Free Member

Doing it on Saturday so will report back

martinhutch

Down in to Kentmere is probably the roughest it’s ever been in the 30 years I’ve been riding it! And it’s bloody great!😀

Probably going to get sanitised this year then!

wzzzz
    Free Member

Probably going to get sanitised this year then!

Hopefully it will never be like this again (Garburn 1:22-1:50):

vmgscot

@wzzzz Kanku 4×4 – the early days?

wzzzz
    Free Member

@wzzzz Kanku 4×4 – the early days?

Lol. People forget these were actually well used roads not so long ago, used to access an industrial landscape (agriculture, quarrying etc). When they went round paving a few and industry died lots fell out of use.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

That footage is brilliant. Might be heading up there this weekend.

wzzzz
    Free Member

The troutbeck end is at the end of the video. You can ride all the way up that side.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Doing it on Saturday so will report back

That footage is brilliant. Might be heading up there this weekend.

Looks like we’re also doing it tomorrow. Starting at Mill yard at 11am. Wave if you see us. ( Or join us if you want)

PS, the north side of Nan Bield….. Only ever HaBed up it, but heard tell that it’s rather interesting as a descent.

Keen to hear more if any of y’all have done it.

I’m sure it’s gnadgery, hellish tricky, rocky slow technical, but keen to hear if it’s the good side of all that or verging on HaB downhill, which is of course no use…

julians
    Free Member

went up garburn last september, we went the ‘wrong way’ round so climbed up the steep zig zags that the you tube ad shows the car going up and then down the less steep side. The steep side was mega rocky – I thought it looked like it would be a fun descent.

We’re going back to the lakes in july and will probably do it the right way round .

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

@thegeneralist we’re up there in the afternoon but probably heading up to Nan Bield so time pressures (and fitness) might rule out Garburn. Would be interested in joining you in the future though. Go well!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How’s Garburn running these days?’ is closed to new replies.