Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how long would it take to train as a solicitor from scratch?
  • Pook

just curious like?

nickjb
    Free Member

To get a proper job or to give legal advice on here?

thepurist

I think the first challenge is finding Satan to sell him your soul, though I guess that’s easier now the queue of estate agents is shorter.

geoffj

To get a proper job or to give legal advice on here?

😆

Pook

To get a proper job.

xander
    Free Member

2 usual routes –

Law degree (LLB) – 3 years
    Law school – 1 year
    Trainee solicitor – 2 years
    = 6 years

Non-law degree – 3 years (or more!)
    Law school – 2 years
    Trainee – 2 years
    = 7 years

So, assuming you already have a degree (outside law), 4 years. A word of caution: it will be expensive and job market not great right now (although who knows in the future).

project
    Free Member

How long does it master to just add a huge number onto the bottom of any invoice you send out, if the other side complains just tell them to see a solicitor, and take legal action against you if theyre not happy, a win win situation.

oh and that wil be £35.00 plus vat, for the above letter

hora
    Free Member

Ourmanupnorth is opening a fish and chip shop- the moneys there!

Pook

cheers xander – just weighing up options

GaryLake
    Free Member

My cousin just qualified with a 2:1 in law… Works in a call centre.

I hear it’s not the best career choice right now.

ourmaninthenorth

Ourmanupnorth is opening a fish and chip shop- the moneys there!

Keeping my options open.

My best description of working in the law is that it is both boring and stressful – the worst sort of working lifestyle.

Woody
    Free Member

You can always relieve the boredom like cynic-al and while away your time on here 😉

Edit: There are jobs out there. My daughter has finished her LPC and starts work in March. She was offered the job well over a year ago as she is rather clever. Not that I am biased or anything 😉

crankboy
    Free Member

Xander gives the two usual routes accurately.

Any other route takes longer.

Plus if you do crime you need to do Police Station Accreditation and Duty Solicitor Accreditation to be of any value they wont delay qualification but will be extra work.

The world is not exactly short would be lawyers at the moment and publicly funded work is reeling from massive cuts In family law the number of firms will drop from 2400 to approximately 1345.

Similar reductions in supply and work are on the cards for crime and housing law.

Crime is exciting and stressful except when it’s boring and stressful.

jhw
    Free Member

2 usual routes –

Law degree (LLB) – 3 years
    Law school – 1 year
    Trainee solicitor – 2 years
    = 6 years

Non-law degree – 3 years (or more!)
    Law school – 2 years
    Trainee – 2 years
    = 7 years

So, assuming you already have a degree (outside law), 4 years. A word of caution: it will be expensive and job market not great right now (although who knows in the future).

This is all accurate. Three further practical points:

– the one-year conversion course is probably your best bet rather than a fully fledged law degree at this point;

– many law schools offer a (very intense) 7 month LPC (the second stage of training) rather than a full year, which speeds things up further; and

– it will take a lot longer than this if you are doing the course part time, and it’s a million times harder to pass/get a good mark. Hence really try to fund it through savings or, alternatively, try to land a training contract before you start where they pay your course fees and give you a grant too.

Without going into specifics, it might be true that there are too many lawyers and not enough jobs but if you’re good there’s always demand. You have to be sure it’s what you really want to do (do you enjoy arguing the toss, but also do you have massive attention to detail?). The ones that just drift into it don’t last.

ourmaninthenorth

There are jobs out there. My daughter has finished her LPC and starts work in March. She was offered the job well over a year ago as she is rather clever. Not that I am biased or anything

Excellent news.

It was like that when I was applying for TCs back, er a few years ago. Law degre – you needed to secure a job between 2nd/3rd years. Non-law, between degree and CPE (GDL or whatever it’s called these days).

My sister managed to get a TC after finishing her LPC, so it’s possible that employers are more flexible, especially as resource planning and budgeting are rather harder these days.

I have to say, of the various trainees I supervised in my time in private practice, almost all of them were far more highly qualified, motivated and generally aware than was needd when I was doing it (10+ years ago).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how long would it take to train as a solicitor from scratch?’ is closed to new replies.