Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • how long to let the sealant in tubeless "settle in"
  • rockhopperbike

Hi,
    having some issues with sidewall leaks on TR maxxis ardent,- I have a shorty on front – no probs, but the rear tyre is constantly showing wet spots

ardent

its a brand new tyre with stans goop- and this has been happening for about 2 weeks- the tyre is going flat all the time- have to pump it up every couple of days

duff tyre, or just wait a bit longer??

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

More sealant and riding helps IME.

rockhopperbike

The shop topped the sealant last week -( brand new bike), never had tubeless before so abit unsure – the tyres do that for a while do they?

daver27
    Free Member

not normally, but it usually take a ride and a decent amount of sealant to make a tyre like that seal. Sounds like there isn’t enough sealant in it.

northshoreniall

Took me 3 months to get Spec butcher and purgatory to finally stop losing air – even went back shop who rang Spec and their opinion was -“yeah it happens some times, inflate to 60 to get seated then drop to 30 and spin periodically over 24hrs”.
    Couple episodes topping up fluid and as above riding before it settled, wasn’t overly impressed with Spec attitude but they stay up now.

cblair246
    Free Member

Add more sealant and pump it up really hard +/- 50 psi, leave it for a while and every so often rotate the wheel and give it a shake but like everyone has said so far go ride it.
    I did have an Ardent TR as well and while it sealed fine enough to begin with after 1.5 days in the Scottish highlands the walls were weeping due to being worn out. Also the bead was trashed completely and it was almost weeping 360deg. I replaced it and won’t buy again, just get a High Roller II and be done with it!

rockhopperbike

Okay thanks for the advice – I could hear the sealant sloshing a few days ago -not so much now – will buy a bottle and top up again – it’s been ridden every few days, odd

stanleigh
    Free Member

Some tyres just never seal completey. I stopped using Conti X Kings Protection because of forever having to top up the sealant. Now using Geax TNTs , adding a tiny top up maybe every 6 months , great tyres !

stimpy
    Free Member

If it’s leaking out of the sidewalls, have you done the Stans shaky-shaky properly?

I’m particularly thinking of photo #10 – lying the whole thing on its side (parallel to the ground) for a good long bit, then shaky-shaky and lie it down on the other side until the sidewalls seal?

http://www.notubes.com/detailed_kit_instruction.aspx

Particularly note the bullet points at step 6 at the bottom of that page – spinning the tyre won’t seal the sidewalls.

adsh
    Free Member

Take care – some high pressures being quoted here which may be above the tolerance of your rim/tyre combination.

rockhopperbike

noted ADSH- will try to keep a lower pressure- think my rim is limited to 45 psi

BigJohn

And never inflate a tubeless for the first time indoors. If it pops off the rim you’ll just hear ringing for two days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘how long to let the sealant in tubeless "settle in"’ is closed to new replies.