Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • How do you guys do it?
  • yunki
    Free Member

I like a bit of exposure to the elements… I haven’t found any wet weather gear that makes life easier so I just stick with the same shorts all year around and a cheapo pac a mac if it’s torrential.. just for the look of the thing really..

It’s not always easy pushing yourself out the door on cold wet windy days but it’s always worth it..

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Tinners

I know what the OP means. At around 4pm today I was pondering watching the Ospreys, settling by the fire with a book (it’s been a busy day after a busy week) or going out on the bike. It was dry at the time but rain was in the air. I opted for the bike. Now having soaked myself to the skin, pushed the pace on streaming windswept open moorland and scared myself sh*tless descending pitch black slippey, slidey woods, I know why I did it. It’s the warm glow in a hot shower, hot steak sandwich and beer by the fire and the endorphin rush that makes you feel alive. It’s a different feeling to the one you get after a hot, sweaty, dusty ride in the heat of summer.

Diane
    Free Member

Romster – lovely pics!

Crap weather – riding is still better than staying indoors

KT1973
    Free Member

I’m happy in anything except high winds. Anything above 20 mph is a waste of time, unless it’s in the woods with some shelter

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

In my mind, those that get out there when they don’t feel like it (bit off colour, weather sh1t, etc) are the ones that have that “edge” over others.

I just knew that Surf-Mat wouldn’t be able to resist coming out with something like that! Sooo prdictable! Wish I could work out winning Lottery numbers as easily! 😆

Come on, listen to yourself! So what, because you force yourself to go out in foul weather, you have an ‘edge’ over others??? Ha ha!

More like, you need to do something that you feel others will be in AWE of you for: ‘Wow, he’s soooo AWESOME, he goes out running in foul weather, what a hero! Swoon!’

Reality is, unless you’re in serious training for high-level competition, you just make other people think ‘what a knob’ for being such a masochist. That’s the truth I’m afraid.

oldgit
    Free Member

Elfinsaftey
    To be honest I go out in all weathers convinced I’ll have the upper hand over all the guys that stay in bed.
    Problem is by Spring I’ve usually got pneumonia and miss two months of riding/racing 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Problem is by Spring I’ve usually got pneumonia and miss two months of riding/racing

😆

Sorry…

scaredypants

😳

Went out last Wed night – 2.5 hrs of really muddy trails
    said to my mate at the end how I’d been thinking about teh road bike during the worst bits…

went out on the road today on my own. 90 min hardish effort. Got rained on for about 15 min, plus wet roads. Bike wasn’t even dirty enough to merit sparking up the hosepipe at the end

I think I’ve turned

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t think anyones a knob for riding in ‘bad’ weather, it’s not that big a deal, it’s only rain, wind, whatever. Some people on here have major hang ups about what other people do.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, up to you.

But to suggest it gives someone an ‘edge’ over others is just laughable, and such statements must, as a matter of legal obligation, be ridiculed. 😀

Come on; if you go round telling others that you deliberately go out in foul weather to get an ‘edge’, most folk will think ‘what a knob’. And rightly so.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i decide when I am riding and then just ride if it is bad weather then I just live with it.There is no think there is do or do not.

aviemoron
    Free Member

The Rules. Rule 9.

matt_outandabout

I have decent kit and just have to go out (work and commute) so bad weather feels normal.

uplink
    Free Member

I tend to do all my exercising first thing in the morning so I don’t have time to talk myself out of it

If the weather is truly crap, the spin bike for an hour of hard intervals suffices or running, I seem to not be affected [mentally] by poor weather when running, I actually quite like running in poor weather

For the biking, if it’s cold & windy, I just head to the forest rather than open ground. I generally don’t go out on a bike if it’s peeing down but just a bit of drizzle is OK
    There’s always the road bike if I’m really fed up of the mud, as long as it’s not windy, I hate road biking when it’s windy.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ll admit that I quite enjoy riding in bad weather though like anyone else, the temptation is always there to not go out.

As to when I was training seriously, it just shows that Smurf Mat must be doing rather soft not-so-awesome events as everyone I raced was out regardless of the weather so going out in crap weather didn’t give you any edge. Guess we were all just proper hardcore ( and increasingly so as the years go past 😉 )

donsimon
    Free Member

It was windy, it rained but wasn’t as cold as yesterday. I only managed 2.5 hours on the road, up and over local mountain, more of the same tomorrow. It was ace. 😆
    Isn’t the “having an edge” thing introduced by Daley Thompson training on Christmas Day?
    Fortunately this crap weather is only temporary, I was interested in knowing how you guys motivate youselves.
    MTFU wimp? 😆 I fear the wimp is the one who posts anonymously in the tags. 🙄

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘How do you guys do it?’ is closed to new replies.