Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How do I improve mobile phone reception inside my house ?
  • I keep missing texts and calls because there’s no reception in my house.
    I can go outside to send a text, which isn’t too much of an inconvenience as long as it’s not raining.
    I don’t know how mobile networks work, but I’m guessing if a text is undelivered, it gets automatically resent every hour.
    This means, if I’m expecting a text, I have to leave my phone outside for a couple of hours and keep checking it.

Is there some sort of booster aerial I can put on my roof to get a good signal indoors ?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what network? if orange enable roaming, goes onto tmobile. works in my area

hughjayteens
    Free Member

If you’re on Vodafone, they can give you a sure signal box that connects into your broadband and works very well.

Other than that, I’ve used boosters from here before and they worked very well – http://mobilerepeater.co.uk/shop/home.php . Not cheap though

binners

move house

crispo
    Free Member

build your house out of wood instead…….oh wait 😆

hels
    Free Member

Have you tried putting up big patches of tin foil around the house ? This enables you to capture and use the Placebo Effect. It’s a bit like The Force, which I hear is also good for improving wi-fi coverage.

Blinkin’ flip, £300. I thought I’d get something from Maplins for a tenner.
    I’ll have to try to work out how to do call diversion on to my land line.

I’m on O2, Orange gets no reception at all round here.

geoffj

One of my colleagues on T-Mobile got one of the repeater antenna booster gizmos, but reception is still shit.
    I’ve heard mixed reviews about the Vodafone sure signal kit too.

anc
    Free Member

Run mine through my wifi with orange(UMA). You have to a handset that does this though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Try this…

domtastic
    Free Member

Orange are now shipping phones with signal boost, this will route your calls and text messages over a wifi connection, and works very well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why not contact your network provider and ask them to put a mast in your garden? That way you get better reception, and they will probably pay you too!

TooTall
    Free Member

Why not change to a provider that works in your house?

binners

I believe this man had some ideas about improving reception

Or have you thought about trying a more old school form of communication

allthepies
    Free Member

The repeater things are illegal in the UK, doesn’t seem to stop people using them though but beware the knock on the door.

The Vodafone Sure Signal thing is legal though (surprise, surprise) as it’s not a repeater but a femtocell which uses your broadband to provide the service.

Isn’t there just a remote aerial I could get that plugs in, rather than a signal booster.
    There is a signal here, it’s just too weak for the internal aerial to pick up most of the time.
    It’s a Nokia X6, if that makes a difference.

Andy_K

Get some free SIMs (or borrow) for various networks and see if you’d be better of changing.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Some external aerials here – but I’d guess that you’d need to check that they’re compatible (and connectable) to you handset. Nokia used to be known as being one of the “better” handsets for reception in poor signal areas – don’t even bother to try with an iPhone . . .

MaxRocks
    Free Member

A number of factors to take into consideration, so looking at a network coverage map may not help with swapping providers.

As previously stated Orange have launched UMA which means it connects over your wifi, they also now share signal with T-Mobile too. Still working on the 3G data element.

In built coverage enhancements such as Picocells etc aren’t cheap.

Could try and divert calls to your landline if you have one, don’t know if you can divert text too though

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Where abouts are you…

I can ask network compliance if you want?

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Vodafone sure signal thing does work wel, but it would irk me to have to pay Vodafone for a product designed to compensate for their poor coverage. Also if it was using my broadband I’d expect some rebate or to be charging Vodafone for carrying their traffic!

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Getcherself a Blackberry on Orange. Terrible phones but will work over WiFi when you’re in the house – as a thousand people have pointed out.

tonyg2003

Order a Vodaphone Sure Signal for the home office and the work’s office. Thanks to the STW forum hive knowledge – irritating problem solved (hopefully) 😀

matttromans
    Free Member

MTG – Try this:

http://www.silicon.com/management/cio-insights/2007/07/18/peter-cochranes-blog-how-i-boosted-my-mobile-signal-39167877/

Made a big difference for my folks, used to get 0-1bar, now gets consistent 2.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How do I improve mobile phone reception inside my house ?’ is closed to new replies.