Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How do I fix this? White ring on oak furniture
  • dmorts

A spilt drink (G&T) has resulted in a white ring appearing on the top our oak table

I think what’s happened is the oil/wax that was on the table has been disolved by the liquid. I don’t think the wood itself is stained.

What can I do to fix it? The table probably needs oiling all over but I’m looking to preserve the matte finish. I’ve looked at Danish oil but this seems to give quite a glossy finish.

midlifecrashes

I believe the modern solution is to use that part of the table for your fancy new Apple Home Pod speaker.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/15/apple-homepod-leaves-nasty-white-ring-death-stain-owners-tables-7314706/

stuey
    Free Member

wire wool + furniture wax?

jamesoz

A towell and a steam iron worked well when we left cup rings all over the furniture  at a holiday let. Basically iron the towel on top of the stain with a few squirts of steam.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

The ring is caused by moisture being released from the wood and staining the lacquer from the underside. I use an iron/damp cloth to remove dents from untreated wood, not sure I’d be happy doing it to lacquered wood as it might just leave an iron-shaped mark as per explanation above. I suspect jamesoz just got (very) lucky!

kayak23

Danish oil doesn’t really give a gloss finish. It can give a sheen I find if the excess is rubbed back vigorously. When it’s hardened, you can knock back the sheen with one of those green kitchen scourer mat things, without scratching.

I’d probably sand that all back a bit and then re oil it to try to even the colours a bit.

onandon
    Free Member

Rub a walnut on it. ( obviously one taken out of the shell )

drlex
    Free Member

European or African?

pitduck
    Free Member

rub a walnut on it, true works well on oak…

coconut
    Free Member

Iron and towel will work, nice and slow. Draws the moisture out the wood.

dmorts

So, the consensus is this is moisture under the finish

This is different to what I initially thought, i.e. alcohol dissolving the finish. But most if not all white rings I see other people have posted online are caused by moisture under the finish, so on balance this seems like the answer. It’s just that it was a particularly strong G&T….I will try the iron method

The wood is finished in a way to highlight the grain and it’s not a smooth finish. Sanding would flatten this.

If I’m successful in removing the ring with an iron, what oil finsish should I use to improve the moisture resistance?

pitduck
    Free Member

seriously, try the walnut first, it works!

johndoh
    Free Member

^ I reckon more people will have easy access to irons and tea towels than they do to walnuts.

mechanicaldope

Not helpful but furniture that can’t cope with everyday use (i.e a spill or two) can go to hell in my book.  Surely there are finishes that allow a nice look and provide a degree of protection?  If there’s not then sod it – i’ll stick with ikea.

dmorts

There is a winner

avdave2

I reckon more people will have easy access to irons and tea towels than they do to walnuts.

Well I often eat walnuts, several times a week but in my 52 years on earth I’ve never found use for an iron 🙂

dove1

Which method worked, dmorts?

dmorts

The winner is

Walnut!

dmorts

I tried both methods. The iron/cloth seemed to be drawing more oil out, so tried the walnut. It was like magic!

jeffl

I’d go for Osmo top oil, gives a nice hard wearing surface but still let’s the grain show through and also keeps the texture. You can get it in a mat finish. Not sure if it likes being put on over other finishes though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thing is, do you respect wood OP?

onandon
    Free Member

Have some faith 🙂

It has worked many times for me over the years

kayak23

Basically the oil from the walnut reinvigorates the affected area I imagine, so I expect applying Danish oil would have worked too had you not been tooled up in the walnut stakes.

IANAWRE – I am not a walnut rubbing expert.

phiiiiil

Not helpful but furniture that can’t cope with everyday use (i.e a spill or two) can go to hell in my book.

Even moreso when it comes to kitchen worktops… what on earth is the point of a worktop that you can’t get wet? Bugger that for a lark.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How do I fix this? White ring on oak furniture’ is closed to new replies.