• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by paton.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How can we ride a bike?
  • dove1

Good explanation in this video of how:

desperatebicycle

I swear I’ve seen that video somewhere before…

bikesandboots

Interesting one, not just the usual YouTube clickbait (although it would fit in half the time perhaps). Something new for most of us on here I think.

stevego
    Free Member

Worth browsing his channel as he does do good videos

pdw
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been linked here before, but this one is also quite interesting:

nedrapier

Funny this sort of thing. if you grasp it (“it” being counter-steering as a necessary step to turning), you grasp it, it’s very hard to imagine it being any other way.

But if you’re not familiar with the concept, watching 12 minutes of video of contrived experiments and then riding along a line with an open mind will still leave you doubting that it’s the way things happen.

molgrips
    Free Member

I remember discussing this in college in the early 90s. It IS possible to turn without counter-steering the opposite direction. You just have to move your weight first. Counter-steering is an easy and natural way to do this but you can simply move your body weight first if you really concentrate. Basically try falling off to one side then steer to counteract that.

appltn

I remember discussing this in college in the early 90s. It IS possible to turn without counter-steering the opposite direction. You just have to move your weight first. Counter-steering is an easy and natural way to do this but you can simply move your body weight first if you really concentrate. Basically try falling off to one side then steer to counteract that.

I saw this video the other day and then tried exactly this the next day and managed it just fine. I figured that I must be counter steering without realising so I’m pleased to hear I’m not crazy.

oldnick

To ride in a straight line is a series of steering corrections that are sufficiently fine as to be unnoticed. Lazy steering is waiting for a lean in the desired direction and just not correcting it, hey presto you turn. So in as much as the last correction was likely in the opposite direction you have counter steered, albeit unconsciously. Doing it deliberately just speeds up the process.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’m sure this relates to the reason why steering the bike along a rut is difficult.I can’t countersteer into the wall of the rut, but if I turn the wheel into the rut, I’m countersteering to initiate a turn into the wall. Then I lean away from the wall to try to free the wheel, and that steers me into the wall. Obviously all this is just because I’m rubbish but it’s interesting to understand why.

paton
    Free Member
    paton
    Free Member

paton
    Free Member
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How can we ride a bike?’ is closed to new replies.