Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How are riding conditions in north Wales?
  • stayhigh

Morning all,

Specifically in Coed y Brenin, Gwydir Forest and Llandegla as I’m due to head up that way tomorrow for a few days escape from work. Fingers crossed it’s not attrionally swamplike.

martinhutch

CyB is never swamplike, it’s pretty much all rock. You might be riding up/down a few streams though.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As much as it could be better up the hill at CYB, Dolgellau is in a bad way, the A470 is closed both ways due to flooding.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/localnews/2651154-dolgellau/0

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Very cold, wet/rainy/snowy and windy looking at the forecast

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Llandegla is very wet, and the shop is closed tomorrow (Tuesday) for stock taking but the café is still open 🙂

breninbeener

I live in Snowdonia. It was dry yday and very wet overnight. Its been dry again today.
    CYB is never muddy. The Marin will be pretty much ok. Penmachno is always wet.
    The ground is really sodden and places like Llanrwst have flooded a lot recently.
    Ian

stayhigh

So much as I was expecting and nothing too terminal so that’s all good.

Cheers all 🙂

breninbeener

Have you been up Drum? From Abergwyngregyn? Its a brilliant ride and an amazing descent.
    Also great riding from there going East to Conwy, which has a fantastic chipshop and really great beers…..

erictwinge
    Free Member

rode round Betws-y-coed on sunday in the sunshine. everything was running great!! one or two were full on waterfalls but solid underneath..

stayhigh

@breninbeener sounds interesting, have you got a .gpx at all?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

It’s a nice ride around the Conwy hills-a few interesting things to see up there too-Megaliths ,stone circles ,cairns etc . It’s fairly exposed up there mind,and I would guess(although maybe wrong) a bit boggy in places at the mo.

grannyjone
    Free Member

From my experiences the stuff near the coast near Conwy is great on an EBike but really hard and slow-going on a normal bike, due to the steepness of many of the climbs and the draggy grass and wet ground.
    On a normal bike a trail centre might be the best option.

chevychase

I like the conwy stuff. Just need to be fitter.

The slog is part of it – you get more of a feel for where you actually are.

tillydog
    Free Member

From my experiences the stuff near the coast near Conwy is great on an EBike but really hard and slow-going on a normal bike, due to the steepness of many of the climbs and the draggy grass and wet ground.

You could always park at Rowen and ride up the easy way past the youth hostel 😉

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I remember that climb up past the Youth Hostel well-it was quite a treat at the start of the ride-then just after we got mobbed by a thousand super sized bluebottle type flies for the next off road part of the climb.

grannyjone
    Free Member

It’s a bit like the Hayfield ~ Edale part of Peak District.
    Even if it’s mid Summer and I’ve been riding hard MTB rides 4 days a week, the stuff round Conwy feels a right slog to get up. Steep ,slow slog even if I’m at the highest fitness level that I can reach.

stayhigh

@breninbeener cheers 👍 Will have to wait for the next trip as my Garmin is at home.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How are riding conditions in north Wales?’ is closed to new replies.