Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope rims – Fortus 35 vs 30 single cavity
  • dirkpitt74

So I’ve won a set of Hope Pro 5’s on the Dream Bike Competition…..
    Will be going on my Nukeproof Mega Carbon 29’er – current wheels are the Nukeproof Horizon V2 30mm internal with 2.4 tyre rear and 2.5 front.
    So, looking at the Hope website the weight of the 35’s & 30sc are similar.
    Mainly trail centres with the odd peaks stuff.
    What’s the STW take on this?

benpinnick

Up to & including 2.5 tyres ‘normally’? – 30s. Over that as a norm (2.6/2.8), 35s. So 30s for you.

sharkattack

I’d buy these… https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-ex-471-mtb-rim

Or these…https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-swiss-xm-481-30mm-mountain-bike-rim

My last Hope rims were pre Fortus branding but I really disliked the 35w version. They were really soft and easy to put big dents and bends in them. I had to regularly pry them back into shape with pliers or mole grips. They also made the bike feel really dead. I’m not sure what it was but they sucked the liveliness out of the ride. I switched to XM481’s and was much happier.

kelvin

With the move to Pro5, we’ve taken 35s off our wheel options as everyone was choosing 30SC instead… the 35W are pretty much redundant. Fine with 2.6 as well.

I’d buy these

Did you read the OP?

dirkpitt74

@sharkattack I can only go for a full Hope wheelset – so it’s Fortus Rims only.

sharkattack

Sorry yeah, when you said Pro 5’s I assumed just the hubs. Full wheelset I’d go for the 30.

dirkpitt74

Thanks all – will go for the 30SC.

z1ppy

30’s for me, 35’s dent easier (as I found out).

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

30 single cavity would be my choice, even those are a bit heavy though, fwiw I thought it was just the hubs too when reading the OP.
    If I won them I might consider changing the rims, but id probably just put them to the test and not worry about dinging them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.