Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Homebrew – Avid Bleed Kit anybody want one???
  • Tiger6791

Yep, when I've tested it, don't want to send people up the wrong path until I know it works all the bits fit together etc.

spokebloke
    Free Member

I did this for my mates in a half arsed kind of way.
    So, I got the syringes, tubing (make sure it's brake fluid proof), fluid and barbs. then I found out that Juicy threes have a different bleed port and wouldn't work with the barbs I have, so I gave up.

Anyone wants a kit (including 100ml Rock Oil fluid) for £10 including postage, email me (as long as you haven't got 3s).
    I'm not doing any more of these once they're gone – I could just do with clearing the box of crap under my desk.

Tiger6791

no idea if the hose is brake fluid proof?

Barbs and hose arrived today, hopefully these look like the right thing?

I'll be testing on my Avid Elixir so won't be able to test Juicy 3s

spokebloke
    Free Member

You can check the hose. Fill it with fluid and leave it overnight – if it's the wrong stuff it'll be on the outside of the tube by the morning.

I think you're in the same boat as me with the barb – doesn't look like that'll fit in the body of a 3.

_tom_
    Free Member

How about the Juicy 5?

spokebloke
    Free Member

Juicy 5s are fine – they have a different bleed port.

julianwilson
    Free Member

…but even the proper avid bleed kit only comes with the one size of barb. ❓

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Am I too late to put my name down for the second batch?

roystonsmith
    Free Member

Can I get down on the fourth/fifth/sixth list please!

stanfree
    Free Member

Tiger any update ?. Is it looking like It wont fit Juicy 3's as I badly need to bleed mine and LBS are charging £15 a brake to bleed so around the same price as a kit. Would be good to get a homebrew kit to try It.

Tiger6791

Got all the bits, not sure about Juicy 3s, may need a little extension.

Will be making them up next week.

Underhill
    Free Member

Very interested to hear how this works. If the reserve list is still in action I'd buy a kit from you Tiger.

robhughes
    Free Member

can i please take one.thanks.
    can i just send you the money now(paypal gift) and i,ll wait for the next lot.cheers

spokebloke
    Free Member

…but even the proper avid bleed kit only comes with the one size of barb.

Not all barbs are the same….

foxman
    Free Member

any spare kits ?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

can i be put on a list for one as well please. thanks

adamdv8
    Free Member

Add me to the growing list please, if there is going to be another batch done – thanks, and well done for the initiative.

mk1fan
    Free Member

I think you'll find that the barb's on the Sram kit have a shoulder on them that makes it longer so it fit's into the recessed bleed port on the Juicy Three calliper. The OP's barb won't fit – based solely upon the photo.

It may also struggle to fit into the bleed port of a Juicy lever and Code brakes too.

bassspine
    Free Member

so tiger6791, have you made up all 375 kits yet?

Tiger6791

Nah, and sorry to all who want one, bogged down with work at the moment so haven't put them together will do soon. Sorry guys for my tardiness

theflatboy
    Free Member

i'll have one. let me know details on here or email is theflatboy at gmail dot com. 🙂

cp

having recently done a couple of bleeds – juicy 7 and 3 here's what I learnt:-

* off the shelf barbs/fittings are not long enough for the juicy 3 caliper or the Juicy lever. The juicy 3 caliper bleed port is right next to a shoulder and you need a long threaded section/long narrow kneck on the barb to reach it – otherwise the bard will bottom on the caliper shoulder before you even reach the thread. The juicy lever bleed port is thread is really rather recessed and so for the same reasons as above, you need a long thread/narrow 'kneck' to the barb.

* many syringes have the outlet offset to one side of the body of the syringe, so air bubbles actually get held in the top of the syringe cone rather than dissappearing up the tube – unless you're very careful to angle the syringe to make the outlet the highest point. easy to get air stuck in the syringe. the avid ones have the outlet in the middle of the cone in the end of the syringe.

* the proper bleed kit comes with spacers which replace the pads and click in place whilst you bleed. mighty useful.

For the reasons above, I gave up on my homebrew bodge kit and shelled the 30 quid for a bleed kit from Merlin…

Glad I did in hindsight, as the kit is just so easy to use – rather than working around bodges all the time. Yes, it's very expensive for what it is… but it does do the job very well. I'm normally very much a make you own kit kind of bloke, but I do actually recommend the pucka bleed kit, particularly if you have Juicy brakes… merlin's cheapest place on the web (and ebay…).

mhailo
    Free Member

Anybody got theirs yet? Does it work?

If yes i'd be interested in one 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Homebrew – Avid Bleed Kit anybody want one???’ is closed to new replies.