Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hoka running shoes my experience for other runners interested.
  • surfer
    Free Member

As a “competitive” runner of over 30yrs and somebody who has suffered their fair share of injuries for the love of their sport I thought my running days were over when I developed a persistent and apparently unresolvable ankle injury almost 3 years ago.
    I have run intermittently during that period but always through pain and a stiffening big toe joint was becoming a problem as well. During that time I visited a number of physic’s, did the normal hundreds of hours of Google self diagnosis and continued with exercises to build strength etc. It was as bad after almost 3 years as it was at the start.

Anyway you can dismiss my findings as you see fit and as somebody who thinks we have seen little new since the 80’s in terms of long distance running I was sceptical of trying any shoe wear that appeared faddish. Some of you will know me as a contributor on this site for many years on any thread remotely related to running.

Anyway in desperation I bought a pair of the Hoka Ronald McDonald clown shoes! I had little to lose and reviews appeared on the inter web to be good.
    Over the last 6-7 weeks I have ran more than the whole of previous year put together and am only limited by my fitness. I am up to around 40 miles per week and the ankle and toe joint pain has almost totally disappeared.

Anyway this is just me being quite happy after 2 days of training around the Llyn peninsula after several successive days prior of running 5-6 miles (with a hard Fartlek session as well) and just wanting to share the love.

I am in no way suggesting you go out and buy Hoka shoes and you should buy what suits you but at the moment after having clocked 10’s of thousands of miles in all types of shoes over the years I am convinced their design is the reason I am now able to run again.

That is all 🙂

MrPottatoHead

I started getting into running properly a few years ago. I am in no way a competitive runner but found initially I was getting lots of niggly injuries that were stopping me running consistently. Ive used Hoka’s for a couple of years now for longer runs and I honestly don’t think I could have trained for and completed a marathon in anything else. I still use ‘normal’ trainers for shorter runs though.

I don’t think they are without fault. I find the toe box incredibly narrow, which seems to be a common complaint.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Interesting stuff. I have been looking at a pair of ‘cliftons’ over the last month or so, just to take the sting out of marathon training.

They seem to be low’ish’ drop, how are they with a mid/fore foot strike?

I’m not so happy to find out they have a narrow toe box, as I generally go for the widest available. @MPH which model were your shoes, do they all come up the same width?

Matt

MrPottatoHead

Mine are Stinsons. I think I run with a mid foot strike and find them fine, but I wouldn’t say I’m experienced enough to know otherwise. In all honestly despite the size of the sole they feel just like running in any other of my other trainers, just with a massive amount of cushioning. It can be a weird sensation when you first use them- when you start walking at the end of the run it feels like you are still bouncing.

I’m not sure about widths. I think they do some models that are now marketed as wide but not sure if that is specifically the toe box. I get mine from Pete Bland and definitely think it would be worth talking to them about sizing before you buy. I couldn’t source any locally to try first.

surfer
    Free Member

They seem to be low’ish’ drop, how are they with a mid/fore foot strike?

I run on my forefoot and I spent years training and racing on the track so my heel barely touches the ground. Shoes are designed with the bulk of there cushioning in the rear but its my mid foot and forefoot that are in contact with the ground not the rear. In that respect I find then great they are stiff in the forefoot which seems at odds with the shoes I have always ran in but in practice that works fine as it doesn’t flex my toe joint which doesnt then cause issues with my ankle.

dovebiker

Been a runner since my teens, but more casual these days as I find I’m prone to injury – can still run sub-40 10k if needed and they’re my shoe of choice. My wife took up running and developed plantar fasciitis and Hoka is the only shoe she can wear that doesn’t inflame it. I have three pairs – they do have different drop and feel between models. Also have the walking boots – they are fab, I feel I could walk in them all day.

matt_bl
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, I think I’ll be giving some a try in the near future.

Matt

Cferg
    Free Member

Interesting post, Ive been looking at getting a pair. I’m an over-pronator and have had issues recently with my knee I think caused by tight calves, I’m looking to limit the impact of training for my next marathon but have struggled to find any first hand reviews from over-pronators on which model is best, any tips?

surfer
    Free Member

@cferg
    I have the maffat speed trail as I do a lot of paths and mixed terrain and they are very good. I also have the Bondi 3s for the road but I am neutral so not sure about their suitability for over pronaters. I bought the Bondi’s from Pete bland and u would recommend going to their shop if you can and trying a couple of pairs on. Also have a read online there is a lot of info about them (much of it their own advertising bumf) which may be useful.

Cferg
    Free Member

Thanks surfer, unfortauntely nowhere near Pete Bland or Id give them a look in. Ive found a shop locally that does gait analysis and stocks them so I’ll maybe go and try them on the treadmill. Having looked at their website previously all the shoes seemed to be spunator/neutral so it might be the case that I got for something more neutral and get a pair of insoles.

surfer
    Free Member

Just one bump in the slim chance anyone was looking at these or is experiencing the same toe pain (hallux rigidus) that I have. These have been pretty revelatory for me. Ran a 5 mile race last Tuesday with no reaction and a Parkrun yesterday and probably get out for a steady 10 later. Sorry to be a gushing fanboi 😳

Just ordered a pair of Hoka walking boots 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Perfectly timed bump!

I’ve just been booked in for toe surgery (hallux rigidus) and ankle surgery.

My toe is being fused as it gone too far to be fixed, this will apparently cure the pain ?

My ankle has missing cartilage between the tibia and talus which is causing a lot of pain (same foot) I’ve done a couple of 4/5 k jogs recently but couldn’t do more than that because of the pain the next day. I’ve been told by the site ion that it’s ok to run as long as I’m not in a lot of pain, so will have a look at Hoka as they sound like they might fit the bill. For before and more importantly after the surgery.

surfer
    Free Member

Hi Neal
    I have the toe problem but it was manifesting itself as bad ankle pain as I was rolling outwards to protect the stiff toe.
    The sole means my toe doesnt flex (as much) so I dont roll outwards.
    I think NB do a “stiff” soled shoe as well.

I ran my slowest 5 mile race ever on Tuesday but finished with a big smile on my face 😀

nealglover
    Free Member

I do the same because of the toe. It’s not caused the ankle problem as such, but it certainly aggravates it!

Hopefully a combination of the surgery and the right footwear should see me right though.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I am not a runner and have never run, I struggle to sleep walk however…

I had my ankle fused last year and these shoes are amazing for letting the foot roll naturly so I can almost walk normally. They look daft when wherein get a suit but I can live with that.

If you know anyone with buggered ankles, a runner or not, I would recommend them.

ultra marathon uk were great and replaced without charge when ordered the wrong size.

technicallyinept
    Free Member

I bought some Cliftons off ebay last week. They’re going straight back on ebay. Very narrow forefoot. They are almost 5mm narrower than my Merrell Mixmasters (women’s fit)

trebord
    Free Member

How do these shoes size up? Pretty standard or come up a little big/small? Thinking to buy online so hoping to get it right..
    Thanks

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hoka sizing is seems good to me. The reason I got the wrong size was because I clicked the wrong button. Error between keyboard and seat.

They cope we with wide feet too and offer good lateral support.

turboferret

I got a couple of pairs of Hokas fairly recently cashing in some race winning vouchers. Clifton 2’s for general and Trail Goats for muddy stuff. Certainly a good bit more cushioning than I’m used to, but the Clifton isn’t quite as spongy as the Bondi/Stinson AFIA. They’ve been my go-to shoe for all of my training runs since, and I’ve ramped up to 50 commuting miles without any issues, although in an ideal world they’d have a slightly wider toe-box.

I still race in much more minimal shoes, but for getting the miles in they seem pretty good.

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hoka running shoes my experience for other runners interested.’ is closed to new replies.